Topic: Ratings

I was just wondering why this game doesn't have ESRB and PEGI ratings. I personally don't care, but it may be a deal breaker for some.

Re: Ratings

Not the target demographic?

I rate it T for terrific!

That's a capital T that rhymes with P and that stands for Pool.

Wikipedia wrote:

To obtain a rating for a game, a publisher sends the ESRB videotaped footage of the most graphic and extreme content found in the game. The publisher also fills out a questionnaire describing the game's content and pays a fee based on the game's development cost:[5]

$800 fee for development costs under US$250k
    $4,000 fee for development costs over $250k

things like that are not for free.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

...and all it would get you is a badge that says the login screen is fine, and the rest (= online play) is not rated by the ESRB.

Frankly right now I don't see the upside.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

What do you mean, Badges/acheivements are what everyone wants, ESRB just figured out a way to translate it into real money big_smile

DEV Gargaj wrote:

...and all it would get you is a badge that says the login screen is fine, and the rest (= online play) is not rated by the ESRB.

Frankly right now I don't see the upside.

I find your login screen incredibly offensive, sir! Those robots are clearly in the nude! I demand that they be top hatted, monocled and no longer showing any elbow.

Annihilator wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:

To obtain a rating for a game, a publisher sends the ESRB videotaped footage of the most graphic and extreme content found in the game. The publisher also fills out a questionnaire describing the game's content and pays a fee based on the game's development cost:[5]

$800 fee for development costs under US$250k
    $4,000 fee for development costs over $250k

things like that are not for free.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.

Arga wrote:

I rate it T for terrific!

That's a capital T that rhymes with P and that stands for Pool.

I've just gotten a telegraph from Mayor Shinn of River City, Iowa.  They're requesting that PIE kindy package and ship their missing village idiot back home.  tongue

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Was it a pre-paid postage? Cheap bastards.

I am in this game so it is rated N for... well, you know. big_smile

Siddy. It's Mature not Nature..
.. Ohh.. OHHH!..
BAD SIDDY!

Arga wrote:

Was it a pre-paid postage? Cheap bastards.

They mentioned something about bulk freight and a doggie carrier.  I'm not certain about all the details as I was a bit busy trying to get my mack on with the local piano teacher/librarian.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

There are reasons for getting the ratings but as has been stated, they don't apply so much here.

Example: Sony PS mandated an ESRB rating for their games.  It's one reason why the costs can be higher for a Playstation than the equivalent iPhone app and the like.

You also have certain groups/sites that won't publish/carry titles without such ratings available to reference.  (kind of like "system requirements" to some sites - what it says is less important than its inclusion.)

Both ESRB and PEGI do cost - a few thousand each and the advantages are slim for a digital distribution medium that caters to a more adult user base than the rating systems would provide access to.

Some of the legal ramblings and bills out and about may mandate ratings in the future but, for now, it doesn't appear worth their $$$ to get a rating.

Marak, stop that seriousness!  I'm trying to pester Arga over here!

Though on a serious note, the ratings really only apply as a guideline to estimate an appropriate age for a child to play a certain game.  If one of my little ankle biter spawns is mentally traumatized by watching his or her Yagel get turned into delicious, robotty gore, then it's my fault as a parent for not keeping after what they're doing online anyhow.  Ratings...meh...later when Perp is has a PCU count of 30k or so it might matter.

Still, as a Digital download only, there's no 'box' on the shelf to display this overpriced RMT acheivement.

Perhaps if the free client was going to be available to download through something like Steam, and they required it, then the additional exposure from that would make it worth getting.

And, I'm only answering seriously because I know it will irritate Johnny.

Arga wrote:

It does make me shake my head in disdain to see you and your useful insight spread all about the forum like some horrible disease of productivity.

Though you do make a good point about those digital distribution sites.  Steam (*vomits*) and their ilk would help expose (hehe, expose) Perp to a wider audience.  Do they actually mandate an ESRB or PEGI rating though?  I thought Steam (*vomits*) was trying to be indie-friendly...perhaps times have changed now that they're swinging triple A titles like Crysis 2 (*excessively violent vomiting*).

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:
Arga wrote:

It does make me shake my head in disdain to see you and your useful insight spread all about the forum like some horrible disease of productivity.

Though you do make a good point about those digital distribution sites.  Steam (*vomits*) and their ilk would help expose (hehe, expose) Perp to a wider audience.  Do they actually mandate an ESRB or PEGI rating though?  I thought Steam (*vomits*) was trying to be indie-friendly...perhaps times have changed now that they're swinging triple A titles like Crysis 2 (*excessively violent vomiting*).

I must ask why you hate those 2 things so much.

Actually, according to corporate chat log, he really loves cat vomit. So, he may be indicating positive emotions.

He's a complicated Evilguy.

Valsiev Melnon wrote:

I'm guessing you mean Crysis 2 and Steam.  It's a bit off-topic, but I'll have a go at it anyway.

Crysis 2, if you haven't played it, you should try.  Form your own opinion and it'll every bit as valid as my own.  For me, the long and short of it was that it failed to live up to the standards set by the original.  It was a game on rails lacking a lot of the freedom of the first iteration while not bringing anything really interesting to the table to compensate.  While that's not a horribly bad thing, the botched handling of the DX11 features release that should have been included in the game to begin with were "meh" as well.  It wasn't horrible, but in my opinion, it fell very short of the hype.  Instead, it's yet another stagnant game that lowered rather than raised the bar becuase of its dependence on the admittedly very large market of console gamers.  We badly need a new generation of console systems so the ports to PC will at least take advantage of modern hardware.  Though, graphics improvements only compensate a little for gameplay designed with a controller or *gag* motion sensors as primary input devices.  On that note, Duke Nukem is another fine example of hugely anticipated fun that tanked, though Crysis 2 did it on a somewhat less epic, decade+ in development scale.

Steam...well it's Steam.  Digital distribution is great, but it feels invasive and it's been the target of a few high-profile hacks.  Don't get me wrong, I like not having to leave a stinking disc in my ROM drive when I play something or even own a ROM drive to get a gaming fix, but the almost mandatory social network aspects (social networking...ahahahahahaha!!!!! *gasp* ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!) and the achievements for the sake of having achievements strike me as ***.  On achievements, which wouldn't exist without failscape attempts at integration of social aspects into single player games, consult YouTube for more information.  There is wisdom in Rooster Teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZC5LJswFE

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:
Valsiev Melnon wrote:

I'm guessing you mean Crysis 2 and Steam.  It's a bit off-topic, but I'll have a go at it anyway.

Crysis 2, if you haven't played it, you should try.  Form your own opinion and it'll every bit as valid as my own.  For me, the long and short of it was that it failed to live up to the standards set by the original.  It was a game on rails lacking a lot of the freedom of the first iteration while not bringing anything really interesting to the table to compensate.  While that's not a horribly bad thing, the botched handling of the DX11 features release that should have been included in the game to begin with were "meh" as well.  It wasn't horrible, but in my opinion, it fell very short of the hype.  Instead, it's yet another stagnant game that lowered rather than raised the bar becuase of its dependence on the admittedly very large market of console gamers.  We badly need a new generation of console systems so the ports to PC will at least take advantage of modern hardware.  Though, graphics improvements only compensate a little for gameplay designed with a controller or *gag* motion sensors as primary input devices.  On that note, Duke Nukem is another fine example of hugely anticipated fun that tanked, though Crysis 2 did it on a somewhat less epic, decade+ in development scale.

Steam...well it's Steam.  Digital distribution is great, but it feels invasive and it's been the target of a few high-profile hacks.  Don't get me wrong, I like not having to leave a stinking disc in my ROM drive when I play something or even own a ROM drive to get a gaming fix, but the almost mandatory social network aspects (social networking...ahahahahahaha!!!!! *gasp* ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!) and the achievements for the sake of having achievements strike me as ***.  On achievements, which wouldn't exist without failscape attempts at integration of social aspects into single player games, consult YouTube for more information.  There is wisdom in Rooster Teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZC5LJswFE

Again off topic, I just want to say that controllers and motion controls are completely legitimate. The fail comes from when people try to port one of those games to a mouse/keyboard set up.

Also, can I get link to the possible legislation that will force people to submit games to a ratings board?

Sure, but does that legislation apply to a Hungarian company like AC?