Topic: Press enter to confirm, esc to cancel

A lot of dialogs in the game require you to "click" on the Ok or Cancel button.

Personally I find this annoying.

For example, unstacking items.
You enter a number to give the amount of items you want to separate. When that number is entered, you have to click the Ok button. I just want to use "enter" to confirm the dialog.

Makes the whole action more smooth, since my fingers are already on the keyboard.

Regards,
Thorbs

Re: Press enter to confirm, esc to cancel

+1

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

3 (edited by Kneckbeard 2011-07-26 14:32:05)

+1

also, resizing windows only from the lower right corner? why?

Yes

+1

+1

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

+1 very anoying

++

Indeed.

+1

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

+1

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but search didn't return anything based on my keywords, so... here goes:

Can we plase make the [ENTER] key cause an action when appropriate? For example, when moving cargo around and splitting stacks - it's be nice to be able to enter the value and then press enter - instead of having to click 'Ok' or whatever. Pretty much anywhere you can enter something and then it requires some kind of action to submit would be a good candidate for just hitting [ENTER] instead of having to click. Should be a simple addition ;)

Otherwise, love the game, love the new stuff coming down the pipe and love everything you guys have put into the game recently! Great work!

This would be a nice polish to the UI. +1

Indeed.

+1

and here we go again...
think the unpolished ui has been brought up quite a few times.

+1

The most annoying thing about this is that the GUI was built without having a "focus" feature, so assuming you wanna split two stacks and the two windows are next to each other, pressing ENTER wouldn't know which to fire.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

18 (edited by Annihilator 2012-01-11 18:03:51)

DEV Gargaj wrote:

The most annoying thing about this is that the GUI was built without having a "focus" feature, so assuming you wanna split two stacks and the two windows are next to each other, pressing ENTER wouldn't know which to fire.

???

i get a popup window, asking me for "yes" or "no" (ok or cancel) -> in 99% of those situations the gui should know that hitting "enter" should press ok, and esc = cancel or no.

just like in case of unsplitting, i type in a number into a box -> for me it sounds like that box has to have focus for that - but when i hit enter, the focus is either removed or nothing changed.
exception: Chat knows that when i hit enter, that it has to send the typed letters, and i dont have to use the mouse for sending.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Gargaj wrote:

well how does a operation system that i dont want to name here handle that?

well for that you have a active window. thats the one you clicked on last so any commad only works on the active window. thats most likely the one you just put in the numbers where you wanna split the stuff.

well it may be that perpetuum dont have this active and inactive window feature. well then its indeed hard to determin for what the enter or esc is. but thats defenetly one solution to the problem you just pointed out.

Annihilator wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:

???

i get a popup window, asking me for "yes" or "no" (ok or cancel) -> in 99% of those situations the gui should know that hitting "enter" should press ok, and esc = cancel or no.

So what if you get two windows?

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

you mean like when you have 20 loot cotainer open and hit "loot all" button, which then really loots all of them?

in case of unstacking - you cannot have more then one on the screen.

in case of server messages - AFAIK you can also only have one on the screen.

in case you got an unstack window AND server message on screen: well, the "latest" one that opened up?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I think he means you can have (2) or more "yes" "no" windows open at the same time, could be messy if you wanted to manually do 'no' on one and 'yes' on the other, but the enter key hit 'yes' to delete all.

The answer of course, is only allow (1) window at a time... which could in some cases 'hide' a decision window until the previous one was completed, that could also be less than ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I want 'enter' to default, but it looks like it may be more complicated then first glance.

its not. just like in windows you need a active window that also is highlighted from the rest. problem solved...