Topic: Frame rates with different GPUs under Linux

Hi all

I want to make a little survey for linux folks to orient themselves in the performance numbers. I recently change my GPU to a better one yet the FPS increase was not what I expected.

So if you can, please post in the following format:

OS/Distro:
CPU:
GPU:
GPU driver:
FPS on lowest graphical settings/highest graphical settings:

You can see your fps by opening the console (~ key) and typing 'showfps 2'. You'll get a FPS and LAG meter on the bottom screen bar.

For myself:

CPU: Opteron 2220
GPU: Radeon 5830
GPU driver: Catalyst 11.6
FPS: 10/(no clue, not tried)

2 (edited by Johnny EvilGuy 2011-08-12 02:08:43)

Re: Frame rates with different GPUs under Linux

Hmmm..it never even crossed my mind to try Perp on a Linux platform.  It's been a pretty much pain-free experience under Windows.  I'll see if I can get the client working on my recently resurrected as a Linux box laptop and post a response Soon (TM).

**EDIT**

Okay, so here are the results:

OS/Distro:  64-bit Mint 11 (crossover games trial)
CPU:  Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0 GHz
RAM:  4 GB (3.2 recognized by Intel's 945 chipset sad )
GPU:  Nvidia Quadro FX 350M w/ 256 MB
GPU Driver:  Certified 195.36.15
FPS: ~4 minutes per single frame - see notes below

I can't get to the console because the client is pretty unresponsive, but I've forced the resolution down to 1280x800 windowed which helped a LOT over the native resolution in full screen mode of 1920x1200.  Disabling ALSA sound completely helped immensely too, just about cutting the number of minutes between frames in half.  It wasn't actually producing sound.  Anyway, I'm getting a new frame about once every 3-4 mins or so.  Mouse and keyboard unresponsive at the EULA/login splash screen , terrain is an empty black field with some apparent lighting effects but no real textures.  Skybox is pure black.

System monitor has one CPU cranking along at 100% and the other floating between 10-25%.  I'm guessing that crossover's version of wine has no clue what to do with the second processor core.

Since this machine kicked the bucket a month ago and I've only recently gotten around to taking it apart stuffing it with eBay'ed replacement guts and giving it a good cleaning, I haven't run Perp on it with Windows so I'm not sure how it'd do without an extra emulation layer between the application and hardware.

OP - It looks like you're at least hitting multiple frames per second versus my multiple minutes per frame. sad  Since crossover's trial is only 14 days, I'll fall back to plain old WINE to see if I can get a better result.

**EDIT 2**

Dumped Crossover and pulled down the latest WINE packages...played with it for a couple hours before I got distracted by bikini clad neighbors at the pool.  I managed to get a new frame once every 30 or so seconds (guessing here, I wasn't sitting there with a stopwatch) but there were significant graphical glitches, missing polygons, and no cursor response.

Given the questionable state of the hardware, I'm dropping it off at the local electronics' recycler for disposal.  Until I get around to picking up something else that has a chance at running the game, I'll be unable to do anything more here.  I don't think my Slacker box has much of a chance until Perp goes plain-text.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

3 (edited by Hugh Ruka 2011-08-01 07:52:24)

oh lol :-) 4 minutes per frame :-) you have something seriously wrong in your config.

anyway I noticed it has a strange behaviour. when I load the game, I have to wait some 30 seconds to one minute for what seems to be caching/shader compilation. then my frame rate shoots up. basicaly I am CPU limited as I can crank the graphics to highest detail on my lcd resolution (1280x1024) with no hit to framerate.

EDIT: For me PO is a painfree experience under Linux except the performance. no bugs, sound and graphics work nicely.

Yeah, it's awful and I'm sure it's something I've got hideously screwed up.  I think I at least ought to be pulling a couple FPS.  I don't expect glassy smooth performace out of what is basically the bare minimum to run the game under Windows, nevermind introducing Wine into the mix.  Sadly, the M65 is still acting up so I'm back to kicking around the idea of abandoning it completely.  Why throw money at a four + year old machine thats served its time when I can replace it with something much faster for only a bit more cash?  Oh well, I might revisit this if I can get the hardware to be passably stable.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Graphics driver: canonical 175
Graphics chip: Quadro NVS 150m - 128mb real(384 shared)
CPU: Core2Duo 2.4Ghz
RAM: 4GB(3.5 to 32-bit OS)
HDD: Solid State toshiba

Framerate: about 20-30fps when im not looking towards any distant landmarks, between 5-15 if i am looking in the direction of one.

On the subject of your incredibly low framerate - have you checked, made sure you are not using the stock drivers that came with your distro?(nvidia, and ATI both require an EULA acceptance, and so are not activated by default) (on an nvidia card, type nvidia-settings at a terminal, if you get nothing, your'e not running any 3D drivers)   

the black box screen i have also observed using different driver versions.

and also wine can get f****ed up... my laptop now permanently has no terrain... and it seems to be permanently broken until reinstall - that'll teach me for screwing around with winetricks too much.
- I fully expect that quadro 300  to do better than my 150m

also Wine1.3
DirectX 9
Window mode stops the mouse getting lost.
and start up your first client on your biggest monitor otherwise you lose the extra screen res for your second/third client etc.(mouse wont go there - wine bug)

6 (edited by Mikrochip 2011-11-14 02:53:20)

CPU: Athlon64X2 6000+ Black Edition - depending on my mood, between 3 & 4Ghz
RAM: 8GB 1066
HDD: WD Black 500GB
VCard: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560ti - 1GB
Drivers: NVIDIA Reference Linux 32-Bit, 267.something
Wine 1.3
DirectX 9
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Res: 1920*1080(mikrochip's screen) - 1440*900(atlas's screen)

Framerate: running 2 clients, somewhere around 200fps with graphics down low... if i pretty it up, i get about 40 on both

Stability::  well,,,, i have seen windows crash randomly in perp on many machines, for no good reason.

i have never crashed perp on linux, unless i dared to open the map... :S

hmm ... installed a new gentoo image to a spare drive and tried out OSS drivers (Gallium3D, r600g/mesa 7.11.1).

10fps with vblank_mode=0. I am standing outside of Shin main terminal. fgrlx gives me about the same.

sad panda