Topic: Missile selection, when compared to other choices

(NEW PLAYER HERE! NOT COMPLAINING, JUST CONFUSED! HELP MEH!)

So ive been in game a few weeks and still learning a lot. My faction/weapon choice was Pelistal/Missiles because of the advice i recieved from a nice player the first few days ingame.

Since that time, after scouring over this forum and any other website i can find pertaining to this game, ive learned a few things and to be honest im wondering if i made the wrong choice.

For example;

The FOOM guide says;

1. Pelistal are the slowest faction ingame.

99% of players and posts refer to speed as very, very important in Perpetuum. Of course i use a t4 LWF and also almost have navigation maxed but this sounds very troubling because of;

2. Missiles are the lowest range weapons in the game. Short to Medium is the exact wording.

Slow speed + lowest range? While all info on the other factions and weapons i can find is short to long range and high damage....

3. Missiles have the lowest damage in game as well.

Slowest speed, shortest range, and lowest damage? What the hell......?

Are all of these important factors balanced by the fact that i can shoot over a hill? Obviously reading about being the slowest, shortest range, and lowest damage has me quite irritated that if there was 1 bad choice to make, i chose that one.

I also realize that other weapons can use energy/accu and also have "falloff" stats.

Am i missing something here? Ive been playing missiles for a few weeks and yes, im still very new to game just wondering about these issues.

For example, people say missiles are great for people hiding behind an object or over a hill. Am i the only one that sees my missiles fly RIGHT into the ground or object if im not at a very precise angle (moving around finding the perfect place to sit) to hope the arc in my missile path leads it to the target? This LOS benefit doesnt feel like much of a benefit so far...

Im really confused on where the balance/tradeoff lies for missiles when compared to other weapons?

Can someone PLEASE enlighten me? I still have my reset if needed. Id rather not spend months preparing and then find total dissapointment with my choices. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I now have multiple accounts all for the hopes of helping my combat account succeed. Im not sure to feel frustrated or confused. Once again, any advice, help, critisism(spelling?) would be very, very appreciated and will not go to waste, rest assured.

Thank You,
Titan

*I had posted this in the trial forum on accident, i was thinking it was "new player" for some reason. I apologize to repost here but it doesnt seem like that forum has a lot of activity, really looking for advice/help*

2 (edited by Annihilator 2011-07-17 16:40:25)

Re: Missile selection, when compared to other choices

straight:

if you think that your missiles already hitting the ground to often - other weapons will do it even more often.

if you follow the other discussions, you will see that some see missiles atm are considered as ovepowered, unbalanced and gamebreaking by some vocal players.

the main advanatages of missiles:

• LoS is much better then with Turrets

• Powerconsumption is nearly ZERO (you get a full pool of AP for repair, neut, shield, anything)

• they got a fixed chance to miss, which can be recuced to zero with an extension (makes them better against smaller targets then turrets)

• medium launchers can switch between high-damage short range and low damage-long range on terrain.

• nearly all Missile combat bots got a locktime bonus which makes then rather unimpressed about ECMs

disadvantages:

• chance to hit is fixed, so shooting at bigger targets doesn't guarantee the hit like turrets do
      (that part is advantage and disadvantage in one wink)

• Lower DPS then other weapon classes

• Speed is slower on paper, not ingame

• The range difference is rather small. they get outranged by lasers, which on the other hand dealing the lowest damage against missile bots

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

(As the other forum post should be getting deleted or locked)

Your mistake is that Pelistal are generally the slowest faction, and that missiles do have the lowest DPS when you don't factor in range, but that they also have just about the best range.
You can get more range on thelodica bots, but its then not used most of the time.
Missiles also use almost no accumulator when firing, meaning you can devote all of your accumulator to say a repper in pve or a shield in pvp.
They are on the powerful side as far as the current balance goes if you just follow the forums.

Missiles sound bad in theory but are flat out awesome in practice, hence the dichotomy.  I wish there was a global check on primary pilot type, you'd see the imbalance of player choice is not against the missilebots, and payer choice tends to gravitate to the win smile

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

afaik this game is like eve. you can train anything you want. so you starter choice is irrelevant. I made the same "mistake" as you, rolled a Pelistal combat pilot. But so far I am enjoying the ride.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

afaik this game is like eve. you can train anything you want. so you starter choice is irrelevant. I made the same "mistake" as you, rolled a Pelistal combat pilot. But so far I am enjoying the ride.

Rolling Pelistal is not a mistake wink

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

I thought the same thing about Greens until I used my reset and went yellow. You won't be running a stable mech for months and even then, you would have spent all your EP on accumulator ***.

Hopefully this new reset system is accompanied with a free new reset like I have been hearing. I will probably go back to green.

Especially now that devs are acknowledging the lack of pve combat and are looking to implement dynamic encounters with unique loot (green is best for pve from my experience).

It really is a matter of perspective.

and maybe the new system will alow players to swap and change between skills to decide for themselves which type of weapon is their preference.

The amount of people who start out thinnking green is awesome, and later change to yellow is almost as frequent as people who start out as yellow and switch to green.

But each have big advantages and dis-advantages which doesnt really sink in until you regularly pvp.

Thank you all very, very much for the helpful information. Much appreciated.

misses get really awesome when you invest in missile guidance.

With Navigation 10 and missile guidance at least at 5 you will be very happy.

Guidance 7 atm and i only miss some of the time.

with no missile guidance and 4 packs i would miss maybe 1-2 times out of a total of 8 shots(ie 2 vollies of 4) some times i would have more than one miss in the same volly because each one has a 10% base chance to miss per shot.

Hugh Jasol wrote:

I thought the same thing about Greens until I used my reset and went yellow. You won't be running a stable mech for months and even then, you would have spent all your EP on accumulator ***.

Hopefully this new reset system is accompanied with a free new reset like I have been hearing. I will probably go back to green.

Especially now that devs are acknowledging the lack of pve combat and are looking to implement dynamic encounters with unique loot (green is best for pve from my experience).

Ha ha, welcome to hell. I assure you it's comfy here. Anyway we'll get buffed soon once the devs do a player count and realize how few pissbots are out and about.

Broccoli bots are awesome simply because you can run in to combat screaming " FIRE ZE MISSILES! "

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

*makes a note to update the weapon section of the wiki, just as soon as he actually has time*

Part of the problem is that Wiki was written by newer players doing their best to absorb knowledge as fast as they could - we have amazingly little support from veteran players, though I wouldn't surmise as to the reasons, because I'm sure they're different for each. I'm not sure who wrote that specific section, but yes, now that we're a bit more veteran, it might help for a slightly more even-handed approach to the weapon traits section.

The "no cap use, rangeset toggle by ammo choice," and "No LOS" is a pretty big deal. smile

Meanwhile I started a *** thread about missiles not long after I joined the game. They're so good it's obscene.

Gotta admit I get wood when I kill something not yellow in my batphone!

I do sometimes get jealous when I see Thelodica bots with cool laz0rs pewing away or Nuimqol bots with those cool zappy guns; but practically speaking, I loves my missile bots *hugs Waspish*.

I'm sure balance will shift back and forth a bit over time, it always does.  But I intend to eventually fly ... ahem ride ... them all anyway, so no big deal.