1 (edited by Robbie 2011-07-15 08:47:19)

Topic: PVP Economy

I posted a few comments in the PVP Economy thread which really deserve to be considered as a separate chain of thought.

Yes...the potential, or lack thereof, for PVP has an effect on the economy when it comes to acquiring Epriton but the "economy" of PVP, outside of mining, has it's own considerations which require a different solution.

My proposal is that Corps. agree to not take anything bigger than an Assault bot to one island...one chosen by a unanimous vote of the CEO's of as many Corps. as can reach a mutual agreement

Why? So that new players, and smaller Corps. without much production capacity, can have a place to engage in PVP without the threat/fear of being overwhelmed by larger mechs.

This agreement would constitute a binding, but temporary, understanding that, should anyone, from any Corp., show up on that island, EVERYONE would cease their current battle and kill the M**F**!!!

It would also exclude any Corp.(s) which was showing up in larger bots (bigger than assaults) for the sole purpose of attempting an incursion on another Corps. outpost.

Any mining on this island would be subject to the same rules...small bots only but open season...simple.

Why would doing this proposal make PO better?

1) It gets more players into pvp at a lower ratio of cost/reward.
2) It enhances the longevity of PO for EVERYONE by making it more friendly to noobs.
3) It doesn't require the Dev's to achieve ANY new content hurdle in order for this incremental level of increased game-play option to be available.
4) It asks, but doesn't demand, that the dinky-ass player base we currently have in PO acts like self-interested adults rather than self-aggrandizing adolescents so that we can assist, not detract, from the growth of a game we really like. Of course there will be "violators" but we, and they, will have the satisfaction of knowing they or we have overcome, or become, a true outlaw...not just a random wanker.

Sure...this is all contrary to an open world, sand-box but I propose it because we can either pee all over a tiny sandbox which no one else will want to come to or we can take personal responsibility for making it into a huge thing where this sort of temporary self-denial isn't needed.

It's up to you...and this is a personal proposal in no way connected to my Corp.

P.S. Should this prove to be a popular concept; e.i., it created more PVP for more players, the Corp. leaders could petition PO to make this a permanent feature for one island by restricting the teleporters to a particular load/size limit.

Re: PVP Economy

Dumbest idea I have ever heard

Let's ask Israel to disarm their nuclear weapons while we are at it

Hugh Jasol wrote:

Dumbest idea I have ever heard

Because you don't think it's something Corps. can agree to or because you think the "violators" will overwhelm the "obeyers"?

...Or because you see no benefit in it to the game or the players?

I don't mean to come across as rude but asking people to forfeit their edge in pvp is pretty unrealistic

Hugh Jasol wrote:

Let's ask Israel to disarm their nuclear weapons while we are at it

Well, as much as I'd like to do that...and more...I had a hope that we, being a much smaller and closer-knit community with a mutual self-interest in seeing the game expand, might mostly, if not completely, find it in our self-interest to temporarily agree to a few "rules" that would make the game more enjoyable for more players.

Obviously, it would be pointless to suggest something akin to this in a game like WoW or EVE (up to a few weeks ago anyway) where players know they have zero impact on the game and the Devs won't even talk to them because the income stream is assured.

PO is different, however, in that we can actually have an impact on it's future...either negative or positive. My rather optimistic proposal is based on the belief that, understanding the unique power players, and especially Corps. currently have in the fledgling PO, they might opt to modify the behavior they'd pursue in an established, deaf-to-them game in order to create a better environment for PO to grow in.

I think this proposal leaves plenty of room for individual players to continue to be self-aggrandizing *** in-game and on the forums-either as their main or as a phantom alt-but allows both them and the rest of the player base to have more fun and provide a useful focus for everyone's aggression.

You mean well, but it would never happen.

apart from organisation hating each others guts,  to keep an island secure an appropriate force is required which no organisation would compromise.

Though I personally do enjoy small bot combat over mech combat just because mechs are so slow and 'getting' to the pvp takes hours and hours.

Maybe in the future there could be islands whose teleports cant alow Mechs through..   or places where mechs cant traverse.

Either way, it would have to be a game feature, not some 'gentlemens agreement'

8 (edited by Robbie 2011-07-15 09:50:46)

Hugh Jasol wrote:

I don't mean to come across as rude but asking people to forfeit their edge in pvp is pretty unrealistic

Well...I'm not asking them to agree to forfeit it everywhere, just on one island and until the Dev's get a chance to implement things like build-able defensive structures on beta islands,  making Beta island ownership more meaningful, hand-building more islands, and basically adding more or everything.

Plus...Generally speaking, those with higher level bots also have higher level skills so they aren't really disadvantaged by going to this one island in a smaller ship...not to mention that older Corps. likely have more players to show up with.

It's been pointed out in numerous other threads that roaming on Beta islands currently can be largely unrewarding because either there is no one there to fight or there is way too much to fight. I'm not saying this is bad per se but it's limiting the games potential for a lot of newly arrived players.

Sure...PO is a lot like EVE...except that it isn't EVE and hasn't a sub-atomic particle of the same number of subscriptions. If ALL players (and Corps.) insist on the same "rights" to ALWAYS be Uber, epeen-focused and dominant NOW, as they were in EVE, than PO is likely doomed and at least relegated to a really, really slow growth curve.

I'll say it again...the players (especially the Corp. leaders!) actually have an opportunity in PO to assist and shape it's growth. Wanna do it or would you (collectively, not personally Hugh Jasol (hahahah) rather just be the same unsatisfied ex-player you already are in so many other games?

We aren't the jackasses in Israel, Palestine, Libya, Pakistan or the US Congress or where ever unless we choose to be. People are actually capable of compromise when it is democratically perceived to be mutually beneficial.

9 (edited by Robbie 2011-07-15 09:49:25)

Snowman wrote:

...apart from organisation hating each others guts,  to keep an island secure an appropriate force is required which no organisation would compromise.

I'm not actually expecting that the lone small bot island would be secured in any way except by all the smaller bots from every Corp. who were enjoying it. Yes. Mech raiders would show up but all the Corps.s supporting the concept can:

1) Gang up on them in combat
2) Boycott them, when possible, in the markets or discipline them if they were a member of your Corp.

Maybe in the future there could be islands whose teleports cant allow Mechs through..   or places where mechs cant traverse. Either way, it would have to be a game feature, not some 'gentlemens agreement'

Meh..."Build it and they will come"...Meaning we, the players, try it and like it (or not) and the Dev's may make it a game mechanic.

The misconception some folks seem to have is that I'm proposing something "Utopian". That's not it at all. I'm proposing something the majority MAY like and will therefore take the responsibility upon themselves to deal with any offenders. It's just little "shift" of priorities and not some other-wordly concept. Corps. have "laws". This proposal is a Temporary Multi-Corp law.

Violators will be violated!

While we are at it why dont we just say use t1.

Why dont we say even numbers only

why dont we drop a fridge on some folks heads so they dont have better knowledge or experience

why dont we go play wow

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Robbie wrote:

as they were in EVE, than PO is likely doomed and at least relegated to a really, really slow growth curve.

Except that this kind of gameplay is exactly why Eve has grown and grown over the years to become the success it is today.  So its not really the correct analogy.

I do respect what your trying to say though.

Generally though, people are reactive as opposed to pro-active.  Personally, I've been preferring to jump into an assault recently just because there's been a lot of small bot combat.

No point in getting the mechs out and risking them when smaller bots are faster more effective (and imo more fun)

Just saying.. if you want more small bot combat then come in small bots and you'll probably find the enemy will react.

If everyone only ever showed up with smalls, then Im fairly sure that smalls will get used in increasing numbers... you'll never eliminate the mechs though.

They could make 3 islands with teleport restrictions (1 small only, 1 medium only and 1 large only) and 3 teleports leading in from the main alpha islands. In the middle of the island is a capturable marker or something. When captured a clock starts ticking. A ranking on the main page shows the current holder and time held and the top 10 corps with overall time held.

Holding the marker gives no ingame benefit, just bragging rights. This could evolve into 3 way combat tournaments etc.

Another way to get more pvp is to go the way anarchy online did it in notumwars. Corps can have fields with towers that give ingame advantages in certain places. These towers can be attacked even when placed on alpha. Attacking the towers will flag you for pvp for 1 hour and will allert the corp that their towers are under attack.

13 (edited by Robbie 2011-07-15 11:33:06)

Snowman wrote:
Robbie wrote:

as they were in EVE, than PO is likely doomed and at least relegated to a really, really slow growth curve.

Except that this kind of game-play is exactly why Eve has grown and grown over the years to become the success it is today.  So its not really the correct analogy.

You may be right as I don't know since I wasn't playing EVE when it started. Where there only 300-600 total players in game at peak hours 8 months after EVE came out?

I do respect what your trying to say though.

Generally though, people are reactive as opposed to pro-active.

Yeah...that's the behavior I am asking the major Corp. CEO's to see if their members would care to modify until PO gets a bit more developed and on it's feet...

Personally, I've been preferring to jump into an assault recently just because there's been a lot of small bot combat. No point in getting the mechs out and risking them when smaller bots are faster more effective (and imo more fun).

Ditto and I think this is true for a majority of players.

Just saying.. if you want more small bot combat then come in small bots and you'll probably find the enemy will react.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have bothered to make this proposal if that were the case. For a variety of reasons, personal epeen and understandable Corp. territoriality among them, I've never seen this happen except 2 times when a large Corp. made an initial roam onto a smaller Corps. Beta Island. After the first "Gee..we under-estimated you" outcome, reciprocal roams were never..reciprocal. They have, in my experience, always been met with overwhelming force. Perhaps this is a failure of communication between the various Corp's FC who could, but never seem to, ask if the other guy is up for an "even" fight.

If everyone only ever showed up with smalls, then I'm fairly sure that smalls will get used in increasing numbers... you'll never eliminate the mechs though.

That first part of what you said is what I am trying to encourage. The second part, about mechs, is inevitable but and I'm not proposing eliminating them...just limiting them on one island by mutual agreement of the majority.

Jita wrote:

While we are at it why dont we just say use t1.

Why dont we say even numbers only

why dont we drop a fridge on some folks heads so they dont have better knowledge or experience

why dont we go play wow

Why don't we, the players, come up with some short-term solutions to making the game more fun for more people NOW before we just piss all over it and destroy the game before it even gets a chance?

PO is not WoW, it's not EVE and, although a Sequer looks kinda like a fridge, I've seen no extension that will allow me to lift it in order to drop one on another player.

If this gets any traction, I look forward to meeting you alone in your mech against the majority of players who would like an intermediate place to gain some skills and have some fun. We will have an *** set aside just for you.

Rex Liberium wrote:

Another way to get more pvp is to go the way anarchy online did it in notumwars. Corps can have fields with towers that give ingame advantages in certain places. These towers can be attacked even when placed on alpha. Attacking the towers will flag you for pvp for 1 hour and will allert the corp that their towers are under attack.

Player buildable structures are in the Dev's plans for the future. If enough people like the idea of trying an assault-only island by mutual Corp. agreement, it's likely the Dev's would consider making it into a real game mechanic. Personally, I don't care as the idea of pwning the random mech on such an island is very appealing.

But...My proposal may not be the only, or best way, to encourage more pvp for now, until the game grows up a bit, so I welcome anyone to post other potential methods.

There is no room for wow-arena limits in a sandbox game. Fit what you want, how you want, and your stockpile will be the judge of how well you designed your fits.

Proposal refused.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

17 (edited by Exar Kuun 2011-07-15 11:36:20)

i'll be starting up a pirate corp here in little over a week when i got things sorted and i would love for there to be such an island..

i would definately bring mechs to kill all the little bots lol

Syndic wrote:

There is no room for wow-arena limits in a sandbox game. Fit what you want, how you want, and your stockpile will be the judge of how well you designed your fits.

Proposal refused.

Ya know Syndic, I don't, ultimately, disagree with your comment. It's just that we don't really have a "sandbox" yet. We only have a small handful of sand and a great big empty box.

CIR has gone out of it's way to offer materials to new Corps. in order to get them started in the game. My proposal simply asks that you and some of the other Corps. leaders give them a little "space" as well.

Before, completely writing off this proposal, I'd ask that you please consult your Corps. members and see if they see any merit at all in assisting in the creation of at least some space where all players can get more PVP under their belt without being out-classed, out-gunned and out-experienced by the oldest players in the game. I think a lot of folks felt this sort of hurdle was one of the obstructions to EVE having an even greater population than it did at it's peak.

Regardless, I'm not proposing a new, fixed game mechanic, although others have, but rather a temporary agreement among the power brokers within PO to see if we, the players, can help with retention while the game grows.

I'm certainly not demanding, or even asking, that this assault-or-smaller island be one which CIR currently controls.

Exar Kuun wrote:

i'll be starting up a pirate corp here in little over a week when i got things sorted and i would love for there to be such an island..

i would definately bring mechs to kill all the little bots lol

...and you'd be very welcome! We could all use your fittings and would even welcome you back when you ran out of mechs to bring over!

Robbie wrote:

Ya know Syndic, I don't, ultimately, disagree with your comment. It's just that we don't really have a "sandbox" yet. We only have a small handful of sand and a great big empty box.

CIR has gone out of it's way to offer materials to new Corps. in order to get them started in the game. My proposal simply asks that you and some of the other Corps. leaders give them a little "space" as well.

Before, completely writing off this proposal, I'd ask that you please consult your Corps. members and see if they see any merit at all in assisting in the creation of at least some space where all players can get more PVP under their belt without being out-classed, out-gunned and out-experienced by the oldest players in the game. I think a lot of folks felt this sort of hurdle was one of the obstructions to EVE having an even greater population than it did at it's peak.

Regardless, I'm not proposing a new, fixed game mechanic, although others have, but rather a temporary agreement among the power brokers within PO to see if we, the players, can help with retention while the game grows.

I'm certainly not demanding, or even asking, that this assault-or-smaller island be one which CIR currently controls.

Hmmm, let me explain my POV a bit better. smile

It is practically impossible to enforce an light/assault ONLY policy on specific islands. It would be an unmanageable nightmare of epic proportions, because there is always that 1 corporation that will go "trololo" and drop Mechs on the field. You can get 99% of the server corps to agree to it, and all you need is 1% to *** everything up.

As a personal opinion, I am very much against artificial limitations and boundaries in sandbox games. I definitely agree new corps should be given breathing room, as I don't see any point in chasing someone with 20k EP in a full T4 light-bot with the light-skills in the 8-10's and then portraying it as a good fight. What some of the established corps are doing out there - actively seeking out new players with these high-skilled light/assault accounts - is downright disgusting and essentially kill-farming.

I'd love to go out of my way to help new corps get set up, but so far none of them have expressed any interest. Consider what is written in this thread:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … of-intent/

Currently at the time of writing, we are in posession of outposts on two Beta islands; we own outposts on Domhalarn Beta Island where we lived, and now we own outposts on Novastrov Beta Island.

Since we are not interested in holding outposts outside of our island, if there are any alliances or corporations interested in taking over those outposts and actively live on Domhalarn, please let us know and we will assist you in taking them over.

It needs to be said that this is a ONE-TIME AGREEMENT. If we help you take the outposts, that does not mean you are allied with us, owe us allegiance, or tied in any relation with us. We will happily accept a cease-fire for the duration of the intrusion periods, but after that we will actively roam your island like all others.

To put it simply, we will help you get on your feet. After that you're on your own.

Essentially, CIR has had a standing offer to give away Beta outposts and assist with advice & defense positioning to help new corps get set-up since May, with NOTHING asked in return for it. 2 months since, all the new corps that came into the game are still trudging along on Alpha in circles.

The best thing any new corporation coming into the game can do at this point, is not give in and join any established alliance, powerblock or NAP. Go out and blaze your own trail! Getting involved in grudges that have been going on since release, or even since closed Beta for a few surviving corps, is a recipe for disaster. You'll end up fighting someone who has 9 months of EP & Experience & Resources behind them, and you will ultimately lose regardless of how skilled you might be as a player/FC/corp.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Robbie wrote:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have bothered to make this proposal if that were the case.

But thats what I'm saying... I've already changed my pattern.  and soon other mechs will get fed up of dragging behind.

You just cant expect results straight away, it takes time... remember its only been what, 2/3 weeks since NeX started?

OK, it seems that a lot of eve players have lost their wind and returned to Eve, which is understandable,  why come to a game where your the underdog noob when you have 3 years old character on Eve that crushes noobs like insects.

But most eve players will acknowledge that 3 weeks is nothing and any player that doesnt have the stamina to stick around isnt really worth being concered about.

These things just take time, this kind of pvp is hardcore for players crave that real danger and would want their opponent to fight no-holds-barred.   Frankly, if I knew a corp was down-sizing just to help then I'd be properly insulted.

For example,  we arnt gona take sympathy on M2S and give them a break for whats happened and I'm damn sure they would hate it if we did.

22 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-15 15:01:10)

I'd really like someone to explain to us (as in, NeX) what everyone else is thinking of our existence, and not just because I want people to talk about us.

First, we are not the only new corporation of people who arrived and formed up in that week of June.  We were simply the only one who threw open our doors wide to anyone and everyone.  When the Eve channel was flooding with new signups everyone asked sort of the same question - "Any EVE only corps?"  NeX was just the first commented name, and so we collected people, in droves.

There was no ulterior motive, save perhaps the datacollecting idea of 'so, how many ofus are actually subbing up?'.  Imagine a group of refugees (New Eden Exiles, durr) and that was basically the viewpoint when we clicked the accept button however-many times a day it took to reach 625.  We took in a horde of total strangers far faster than anyone would have acclimated to one another.

We took in people who subbed, decided they didn't like it, and have gone idle.

We took in people who subbed, read a certain press release, and have gone idle.

I find it amusing that people are so focused on us, when other new corporations 1/5-1/8th of our size could easily be just as formidable if not mroe so, primarily because they *do* know eachother, they are used to working together, their personality differences were already settled before this, they're in it 100% for the long haul... when I can not with any confidence give that kind of percentage - or even close, to NeX's roster.

We're a big dot on the infograph, and we're chatty.

There are other folks though that I'd be keeping an eye on far more than us. wink

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

NEX is noob central. I'm one of the older accounts and I'm from the last week of June. We take out two kinds of roams: the mighty swarm, and the small reavers. Gang ops get the occasional kill, reavers get lots. All of them are light or assault.

The devs are fixing my biggest irritation with the game in the way I've consistently asked for; they're nerfing lwf, and buffing base run speed. That makes me happy, as it lowers the pvp returns superior wallet can get you. Yay!

Now, what niche would you fill by having a light only island. Would you help newbies? No. They can catch most mech fits, and they can't catch most older player light fits. So they're at aworse disadvantage. Would you make pvp cheaper? No. Newbs are gonna be taking out lights anyway, and they're more likely to survive a fight with a mech that can't hit them near so often (and, post nerf, can't control engagement through superior speed). If anything you'd be raising the cost of pvp by making them more likely to die. Would they learn how to use cover and avoid bigger stuff with terrain? No. Nothing bigger to engage, and enemy lights can climb rough stuff just as well.

Rather than creating an RvB style newbie paradise (which RvB wasn't, even if it was pvp heaven) you'd be creating a shooting gallery. So I'm against it. If vets want to roam in light class bots I welcome it. But I'm more than content to keep things the way they are now, where most of my foes are fitting what they feel comfy in and I'm able to engage or retreat at will.

If Foom wants some help setting up cheapfleet reavers and finding pvp, I'm willing to set up a shared chan or talk in our open ts. We've got a good chunk of experience handling this whole underdog thing and we don't mind sharing. But this ain't something I care to support.

The base premise is flawed, being that small bots can't compete against mechs. 62nd has shown this is not true.

Although it seems 62nd is not actively holding small bot arena's anymore, this is the kind of experience your trying to create Island wide. Other then an alterier motive of wanting to take and hold the outposts on that island with only light bots, an alpha tournament would accomplish the same type of combat that your looking for, and require much less than server wide acceptance.

I also don't really see the direct connection between this and the topic of PVP Economy, unless your saying that light bots cost less, so are cheaper to replace?

25 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-15 18:08:22)

Arga I think the lightbopt thing is lack of epitron in construction (?)

But if there were only lightbots on a beta island then there'd be no lack of epitron cause it would be easier to mine it as it would be lightbots fighting lightbots.  (theoretically).  Aeon has pointed out that in equal bots, skill and fit takes precedence - that a younger lightbot agent has mroe of a chance against a mech than a more skilled (and fitted) bot of equivalent make, and this is true.  In the end bot size wont matter, then it just becomes T1 vs T4, or 3 weeks vs 6 months, and only then does it boil down to 'hill vs flat ground' then 'twitch-speed vs twitch-speed' - aka - Arena and not sandbox.

Then as others mentioned people can show up in a mech and 'trololol'.  Though the reason doesn't even need to be for lolz.  It could be for srs bsns.  Either way there's no way to prevent it and everyone stopping and turning to kill the one angry/trolling/whatever mech sort of kind of turns the whole server, in the context of that one island, into an alliance.  Which, erm.  If it applies there then why not everywhere else.  Etc.   

Either way this is a political request and would need to be made with one or more political bodies in control of an island.  The ones that are NOT under control are, erm, 'contested', which sort of means people are going to bring what they can to eventually make it 'no longer contested' aka 'theirs'.

Politics and war take a long time by nature.  What seems like random acts of terror in beta are very likely not, at least in theory (though things can break down into lolz or fail in the field).  I have faith most people take things at least to that level of seriousness when it comes to corporate or personal advancement.

... anyway I lost my train of thought.  But I'll stick with the idea that even a personal cordoning off of one beta island to 'light bots only' could be exploited, if not from someone showing up with a mech/heavy mech squad and rolling people, it's basically just going to end up an 'undefended' epitron mining site.

If it's really that bad, maybe putting epitron spawns on Alpha would be the answer. 

(watches tomatoes and eggs fly before she can point at the blinking 'sarcasm' sign)

the point is, beta needs risk.  even if it IS 'overwhelming odds'.  Cause the truth is, they're NOT overwheming.  Something being learned by raw experience.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.