Topic: Stucking mobs are annoying

Definitely there is omething wrong with buildings - mobs just get in and stuck there for random time, making themselves invulnerable. That spoils assignments and farming. Do something with that, please.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Re: Stucking mobs are annoying

+1

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

Alright, we recently changed one behaviour which might cause this problem as a sideeffect, we'll look into that.
Are you guys talking about the situation when the NPCs are walking back home through everything? (buildings, unpassable terrain, plants, etc...)

4 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-12 12:31:47)

We had a Seth npc that was walking back and forth in a line(about 100-200m) inside a building. He could fire at us and hit us, but we couldn't. We finally asked a GM to kill it. It was on novastrov coords 660.1220 if I remember correctly.

Maybe it spawned in the building? I am not sure how do you handle impassable terrain - is the border only impassable and no check inside?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

5 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-13 03:40:50)

On Hersfield there is a Patrician Filch spawn with 3 robots north-west of the station.

- sometimes they SPAWN inside a building
- sometimes if you try to get closer their optimal they try to retreat and walk into the building
- sometimes if someone walks outside this area and they follow him they get stuck when moving back to their spawn

It's easy to reproduce (the "stuck while trying to hold optimal" and "stuck while move back") if you like to check why/how/when.

PS:
It might be, that the fundament of the building isn't totaly set as "unpasseble" like
...#####
##........##
##.....X.##
...B####

The drone retreats after following someone to the X as it is "close enough to spawn" but then is stuck inside the building.

This would explain the "stuck on spawn" too as the spawn area might be to close to the building.

And the B might be the point, where the drones enter the building when trying to hold distance as there is a tiny tiny hole where they can pass. (I allready tryed to enter the building but my Arbalast seams to be to big).

changing it to
..######
########
########
..######
should solve the problem

most of the unpassable terrain under buildings created automatically, not manuall AFAIK
due to circumstanced it can happen that there is a passable tile underneath a building.

also: once an npc is on impassable terrain, it can happen that it gets stuck, because its confused on which direction it should leave (see "dancing" npcs)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Crm wrote:

Alright, we recently changed one behaviour which might cause this problem as a sideeffect, we'll look into that.
Are you guys talking about the situation when the NPCs are walking back home through everything? (buildings, unpassable terrain, plants, etc...)

That's not the issue so much, because when they're 'going home' they get a 'pass through anything' flag.  Unfortunately if you chase them and get within their aggression range they suddenly reverse course and sometimes they maintain that flag, pursuing you through buildings and over impassable terrain.  Sometimes that flag resets and they get stuck inside of buildings, but not impassable terrain which they just jerk back to the edge of.

Just turn that flag off entirely.  If players cannot decide they want to go home and ignore terrain/buildings blocking them then NPCs should be just the same.  If they get stuck, they get stuck, just like we do.
Also, set the NPC pathing flag to be a couple of seconds long rather than microseconds.  Currently when an NPC wants to navigate around something and move one direction the pathing flag abruptly resets and they go the other way (dancing NPCs).  Once the pathing flag sets a course let it remain that way for... say... two seconds so that the NPC can start navigating the path.

Also, look into the issue of NPCs shooting through buildings entirely.  This usually happens with triggered spawns as opposed to static.  I've lost count of the number of times I've dodged behind a large building to avoid an NPC only to have it continue blasting me through the building or hill.  This is rampant with Observers, less so with normal NPCs.

Each spawn that has buildings around have such issue. In most cases it happens when mobs are returning back to theyr spawn after following you, and theyr walk-through-walls flag turns off in a middle of building, how BugSplat says. So they start to walking there and back again in straight line. You're able to hit them while they're out of building but thats 1-2 shots and they're returning back inside. Also you have a little chance to get them out of there if you get close to them and lock.

Make the whole building inpassable, or implement better path-finding mechanism for them.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

ah first forum search that got me a usable result :-)

I recently happened on a mech NPC (Artemis) with my Waspish and tried to take it down. I was in a quite complex landscape so was using that to shoot over hills and unpassable terrain. however the npc suddenly turned around and climbed a hill like it had jump jets or a jetpack installed. the trouble is, I could not pursue even if I wanted to (and finish him). he was out of range very quickly.

Stuck NPCs can be exploited (in my case, I am 100% sure I could have get it stuck and shoot it without issues), but seeing them go through anything is quite bad. Also just it seems not all NPC have the return home behaviour the same. From the same spawn was a mech digger that just stood his ground and was pounded to dust even when the  rest of the spawn went off my radar.

Yeah I have also run into these mobs that turn tail and run like the wind. I believe there is some sort of range in place to keep you from kiting mobs too far out. With kiting being almost a necessity for farming anything aside T1 mobs in this game, they should either remove this behavior or reduce the damage some mob groups do, in order to make it possible to farm these spawns if you fit a good tank.

11 (edited by Yum Yum 2011-08-12 18:28:14)

The Pestal Drones that are part of the Thruhold-Markson Alpha missions are always getting stuck, i think thats mission #7 or 8 where you have to kill 3 drones after scanning them in the prior mission.

If you move within 75m they retreat into the building. ill post more info later when i get home.

Something i noticed:
Also if a mob is able to get stuck in the building its not restricted to LOS apparently, this is even if it is not currently stuck in a building but has the ability to go through it.

If its shots are blocked by a building then it wont get stuck.  If its shots aren't then you should pull away or move because it can go though the building it just shot at your through.

In other words witnessing a weapon tracer travel though a building is a indicator that the specific mob has the ability to not clip the buildings on the terrain. 

I have also see this happen with the combat destroy the Zero Star Havoc missions at T-M alpha.
hopefully that makes sense.