Re: Game economy

Winter Solstice wrote:

Sorry to double post - I've been thinking about autoharvesters.

What if it was something that worked like this.

If:

It is: something that comes in several flavors.  1hr, 2hr, 4hr.
It is: controllable: it can be deactivated early.
It is: set to, on deactivation, revert to a field container which will degrade, as they do, in 10 minutes.
It is: inefficient - does 25% of the work manual harvesting would be.
It is: insecure.  Anyone who discovers an autoharvester can control it, which includes deactivating it and emptying the resulting can.
It is: targetable.  You can shoot it with a single mech and do not need to catch it in a crossfire (like potatoes).
It is: detectable on radar.

People would still place autoharvesters on beta.  These autoharvesters can then be: shot, deactivated, emptied out, or camped.  Why camped?  Well, because if you find a 2hr autoharvester, and can tell it is going to revert in 1hr, then you know someone will liekly be showing up to try and collect the contents.

Seems like a lot of reasons why autoharvesters would be pointless.  But if you consider an autoharvester like an incubator, you find that they will not be 'do your job AFK' modules, but possible points of conflict on the map.

Could make things more interesting.

Lemon wrote:

Assume you have 6-12 rivler mining with 3 pilots defending and 3 lithus running. Can is empty at all times.  now assume a 5 man light roam spots this groups of targets... They can take it so they do 1 of 2 things.

Call for zerg light assistance or fall back and take 30+ min to form a effective squad. Assuming you are within 15 mins of a teleporter you can safely extract easily.

Rivelers, Lithus's...

That kind of capital, equipment, and man power is something most alpha corps don't have - and those that do also have the combat support internally. The concept is sound, but I think the alpha game is still to new for something of that scale.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression of the beta Islands, what are the chances of an operation this size going off without degrading into an expensive firefight? 50/50?

Winter Solstice wrote:

Sorry to double post - I've been thinking about autoharvesters.

What if it was something that worked like this.

If:

It is: something that comes in several flavors.  1hr, 2hr, 4hr.
It is: controllable: it can be deactivated early.
It is: set to, on deactivation, revert to a field container which will degrade, as they do, in 10 minutes.
It is: inefficient - does 25% of the work manual harvesting would be.
It is: insecure.  Anyone who discovers an autoharvester can control it, which includes deactivating it and emptying the resulting can.
It is: targetable.  You can shoot it with a single mech and do not need to catch it in a crossfire (like potatoes).
It is: detectable on radar.

People would still place autoharvesters on beta.  These autoharvesters can then be: shot, deactivated, emptied out, or camped.  Why camped?  Well, because if you find a 2hr autoharvester, and can tell it is going to revert in 1hr, then you know someone will liekly be showing up to try and collect the contents.

Seems like a lot of reasons why autoharvesters would be pointless.  But if you consider an autoharvester like an incubator, you find that they will not be 'do your job AFK' modules, but possible points of conflict on the map.

A slightly more vicious version of what I was going for. I like it lots. Duration should be longer however.

I'm just thinking in regards to balancing risk vs reward, if the idea now is losing minerbots/haulers is too much of a risk, and a more invuln/safe autominer would be too much of a reward, something in between could work.  Basically that they are as vulnerable as, well, unattended drones, but ones that function.  I mean if you got fancy they could even function as drones (with a whole skillset), could be hacked (counterskillset) etc, but that's overcomplicating it.  As long as the prerequisite to making them function is indy skillset based, it also wouldn't invalidate being an indy (you still need the skills to use and place them - and it could even effect their efficency) but staying current with the 'balance' of indy being not easily defensible (unless youre crafty). 

runtime doesn't effect the idea either.  The longer theyre in the field, the more time there is to find them, the more work/manpower it is going to take to empty the can they generate. 

The only thing that's changed is a) the miner doesn't need to be in the field for the full duration - only to place the autominer, then to retrive the contents. 

There's no reason these things would have to run cheaply either, simply 'cheaper' than losing a mining bot at some ratio that's fair to leaving something blind deaf and dumb in the field as opposed to a living player.  Would just have to be fair.  My brain is thinking of the idea of - indy places autominers, combat ops guards autominers, even a single scout (could be the indy himself in a fast lightbot) can watch or check on them.  It sort of lowers the cost and amount of manpower required for beta mining -- or not -- depending entirely on the size of the op.  Heck a large corp could drain a field with them if they wanted, but at a lower efficiency and only a limited number of cycles per tile it would be counterproductive.

But meh, pipedreaming.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

The energy crystal system is going to be like this, putting down a crystal and picking it back up when it's recharged.

As long as that is the only game mechanic way to accomplish the task, then its OK.

You can already harvest/mine, it just takes time to do so. Auto/anything is simply bypassing an existing mechanic because it's boring and you would rather be doing something else but still want the reward.

Wait for the crystals for this pvp dynamic.

For beta corps living on the islands, they can better manage the risk of mining. The risk/reward issue I was reffering to is why more alpha miners don't go to beta. Other than small scale ninja mining, the risk is simply being spotted, which results in a failed mission. Risk vs. reward assumes that you have some sort of way to mitigate that risk in balance to the reward. As it is now, the risk is constantly increasing over time but the reward remains constant. That is the longer you stay on the island the greater your chance of being detected, but you have to stay a certain amount of time to make the trip worthwhile, that's assuming your doing as Lemon suggests and continually hauling.

There's no way to mitigate the risk, that is I can't call up NeX and say "I'll pay you 20M NIC to let me mine in peace", because I'd also have to call Foom, 62'nd, M2S, ect ect.

Everyone is out there hunting everyone everywhere. I really miss the days when Alliances controlled the Islands. Having ALL the beta islands be the wild west is bad for business.

Arga wrote:
Lemon wrote:

Rivelers, Lithus's...

That kind of capital, equipment, and man power is something most alpha corps don't have - and those that do also have the combat support internally. The concept is sound, but I think the alpha game is still to new for something of that scale.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression of the beta Islands, what are the chances of an operation this size going off without degrading into an expensive firefight? 50/50?

Assuming you scout the location correctly and plan it, 90%+ success on that scale.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Arga wrote:

There's no way to mitigate the risk, that is I can't call up NeX and say "I'll pay you 20M NIC to let me mine in peace", because I'd also have to call Foom, 62'nd, M2S, ect ect.

Everyone is out there hunting everyone everywhere. I really miss the days when Alliances controlled the Islands. Having ALL the beta islands be the wild west is bad for business.

Neh.  You just call one of them and say "I'll pay you 20M NIC to guard my mining operation."  Then when someone else shows up, your guards fight them while you drop teleport beacons and GTFO.  Easy.

And if you worry about betrayal, the same could happen paying off an alliance.

As it is, just call up any island owner, offer your 20mil, and hope they don't say that NIC is meaningless because they function in a communisitic society and blow you up anyway.

Large scale alliances are in direct conflict with PvP and corporate individual identity.  As a new player I can tell you the names of only maybe 10 of the many more than that corps out there - and the ones I can mention are likely proverbial 'heads' of already existing alliance groups or corporations with members who stand out in discussions 9either positively or negatively).

Also I do not support the idea of an autominer because "mining is boring".  Some people may find mining boring, I do not.  I am a former memebr of a mining/manufacturing corp.  Mining is not boring. 

The idea is mining is exceedingly risky to corporate and individual assets in comparison to the rewards, and in the current market it is painfully difficult to compete by simply mining lesser ores in larger quantities and sell it to purchase the rare ones you need.

And yes, there are political answers such as wishing for a golden age of mega-alliances, but they don't currently exist in the form you're wishing that they do.

Either way, as I said, the idea of an autominer is pipe-dreaming.  It's not as if I have any say in the matter. wink

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

If you bribed me to leave you alone I'd pocket the cash and hunt you down. Sure I'm a trustworthy sort, but when you throw a number like 20mil at me I'd have to read that as "I expect to make enough money to cover the risk of death, the cost of mining and a huge bribe while still making a mouth watering profit".

Show me the player who wouldn't go for that, and I'll show you a saint or a coward.

20M is about buying a temporary BLUE with a corp, not bribing a single player.

However, I'll gladly tell you where and when I'll be mining, but maybe there will be a Lemon assisted log-in trap instead of slow fat miners.

Arga wrote:

However, I'll gladly tell you where and when I'll be mining, but maybe there will be a Lemon assisted log-in trap instead of slow fat miners.

Well if you say "Novastrov" then that's a given anyway.  I mean, really.  We're new, but not THAT new. big_smile

----

Arga wrote:

Does this mean i get 20 mil?

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

I was thinking more you pay me 20M to set it up... but I'm open to a negotiation smile

That's not a deal... we come out to get blown up for free already!  You will need to sweeten it more. smile

----

As far as EP and PVP, my combat bot has 6 mo of EP and I still suck at killing people. Experience is the deciding factor in most engagements. So, its not so much that you are going up against players with 6 mo of EP, its more that your going up against players that have 6 months of experience with Perp combat.

Every bot you lose makes you more dangerous, not every bot you kill.

Based on our regular wulfpax kills, including a recent takedown of a mech by a couple lights and assaults, I don't think we need advice on that front. We can and do hunt down isolated peeps.

But gang on gang, benefits of gear and better range, speed and dps makes it nigh on impossible to stand and fight. Game has extremely effective anti blob mechanisms, which I support and enjoy, but lacks an appropriate gear/ep delta necessary for new players to engage with hope of victory. If prices come down on high tier gear it'll reduce the effectiveness of roboknighting, so that's one of our big goals atm.

That said, the next big saturday roam we do will have some entertaining surprises prepared for the folks that engage us.

Juan Valdez wrote:

Based on our regular wulfpax kills, including a recent takedown of a mech by a couple lights and assaults, I don't think we need advice on that front. We can and do hunt down isolated peeps.

But gang on gang, benefits of gear and better range, speed and dps makes it nigh on impossible to stand and fight. Game has extremely effective anti blob mechanisms, which I support and enjoy, but lacks an appropriate gear/ep delta necessary for new players to engage with hope of victory. If prices come down on high tier gear it'll reduce the effectiveness of roboknighting, so that's one of our big goals atm.

That said, the next big saturday roam we do will have some entertaining surprises prepared for the folks that engage us.

Whats a Roboknight....

And damit! im out of town :*(

Undefeated 2013

Krall wrote:

Unfortunately PO, like EvE, is a sandbox full of kids that like to make sandcastles and cry for mommy when someone comes along and walks over it.

Unfortunately EVERY Sandbox is full of these kids.

To be honest im surprised I haven't seen a "we don't like to pvp we should get immunity to mine on beta" thread, that every mmo with pvp zones has.

Care bears and Griefers are ruining every sandbox out there....

Xyberviri wrote:
Krall wrote:

Unfortunately PO, like EvE, is a sandbox full of kids that like to make sandcastles and cry for mommy when someone comes along and walks over it.

Unfortunately EVERY Sandbox is full of these kids.

To be honest im surprised I haven't seen a "we don't like to pvp we should get immunity to mine on beta" thread, that every mmo with pvp zones has.

Care bears and Griefers are ruining every sandbox out there....

Whats a Griefer?

Undefeated 2013

Sandbox does not equal PVP playland.

If you want a fully PVP-centric game with some crafting, play team-fortress.

Or, if the majority of the Perp players want it to be a pvp-centric game, then let us carebears know upfront so we don't waste months of our lives building up the in game industry.

Oh. Um.

/shuffles feet sheepishly

(whispers) Who's gonna be the one to tell him?

----

<.<

>.>

How about that weather?

73 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-14 23:21:44)

*grins wolfishly*

It's forecasted to be raining ordnance this evening...

Joking aside I do see your point.  But this is growing pains for the game-world.  Whether it'll grow into something nice or an evil cancer bent on destroying the world though is anyone's guess.

----

The rebel alliance was born under the cruel Empire...

There needs to be a conflict in the game between order and chaos; neither of which is necessarily good or evil.

At the moment, there's too much chaos and anarchy, factions need something to rebel against or they'll tear themselves apart.

And the New Republic was born on the ashes of the despotic Empire, forever impotent without their beloved Emperor... lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice