Re: Game economy

Krall wrote:

The problem with PvP isn't the game. It's the people.

Yeah, well I was trying to avoid casting aspersions on anyone's motives, engage in epeen-flexing or make a statement about why MY way of playing is superior to everyone else's and come up with a way that would be mutually acceptable to the largest number of players so we could build a little trust and have more people get more fun from the game.

But we all have to address what we consider to be the most important topic even if it is ourselves...

Robbie wrote:
Krall wrote:

The problem with PvP isn't the game. It's the people.

Yeah, well I was trying to avoid casting aspersions on anyone's motives, engage in epeen-flexing or make a statement about why MY way of playing is superior to everyone else's and come up with a way that would be mutually acceptable to the largest number of players so we could build a little trust and have more people get more fun from the game.

But we all have to address what we consider to be the most important topic even if it is ourselves...

You can build any mechanic you want into the the game to foster PvP. Unless the populace is willing to go out and PvP, or you offer such great rewards for PvP that it is silly not to PvP, most people won't do it. And I hate games that have PvP rewards. PvP rewards are like a silver turd. Sure it's shiny but if all you are after is the glitter gofu ckyourself. Unfortunately PO, like EvE, is a sandbox full of kids that like to make sandcastles and cry for mommy when someone comes along and walks over it. Noone is out for the fight, only the win. Luckily I'm in a corp, that if it retains it's current size, will have no problem steamrolling the rest of you like last nights wrinkled shirt.

Umm...Yeah...thanks for the level-headed and unbiased input Krall.

You are, in fact, only two weeks behind me in stating that Nex, if it hangs together, will be the dominant power in Perpetuum.

Moving on...

Robbie wrote:

You are, in fact, only two weeks behind me in stating that Nex, if it hangs together, will be the dominant power in Perpetuum.

Moving on...

Doesn't change the fact that I am out on Betas roaming around 96.9% of the time I'm online, and I will be coming up on two weeks in game tomorrow I think.

30 (edited by Robbie 2011-07-13 05:02:38)

Krall wrote:
Robbie wrote:

Moving on...

Doesn't change the fact that I am out on Betas roaming around 96.9% of the time I'm online, and I will be coming up on two weeks in game tomorrow I think.

By your own admission, alone...We could line up and shoot all the ***, children, carebears who you think everyone else playing this game is and replace them with....what? Krall clones? I guess I can understand that point of view...if I preferred playing with myself.

Do you have any useful suggestions for generating more pvp and creating a more dynamic economy?

as this post already is way off topic.....

try not to get discouraged that you lack ep. It is very possible to be effective even as a week 1 player. yes you cant run mechs, but you can still fulfill a role in gangs.

Play around with fits, talk to you FCs etc. Part of the game is figuring out what role you can do

Yes, anything that I can't pilot/afford, or just don't want to risk, must be OP, and must be banned from island. Buff me, nerf you. tongue

Take some time farming and get some decent gear. Pvp doesn't exist in vacuum, it's pve supported, here as well as in eve.

Sampsen wrote:

as this post already is way off topic.....

try not to get discouraged that you lack ep. It is very possible to be effective even as a week 1 player. yes you cant run mechs, but you can still fulfill a role in gangs.

Play around with fits, talk to you FCs etc. Part of the game is figuring out what role you can do

That's all excellent advice for the newer players. Personally, I am ewar specialized and run several differently fit Chameleons. I've gotten into and out of roam situations with about 5 times more escapes than kills on me (to bad ewar contribution doesn't show in kill boards...o well).

Please don't assume my post has anything to do with my personal preferences or needs about pvp (it doesn't). It was rather an inquiry as to whether the influx of players younger and with less EP than I would be more attracted to pvp if they had an expectation, somewhere, of a "fair fight" as opposed to being overwhelmed by more experienced players in mechs.

If you look at the actual benefits you gain from from leveling up skills there really isnt much!

so some have 5% more damage, or 6% more optimal range, maybe they can lock 0.3seconds faster,  battles in PO, as with most pvp games, are won and lost by circumstances and situation.

My first ever pvp experience in eve was vs a 3 year old character who was in a full t2 fitted rifter,  I was in a t1 fitted rifter too and only 2 weeks old.  But the fact I have a plate on and he didnt ensured me the win.

Of course, PO isnt the same as "lock - orbit - fire " (and yes I know eve isnt quite as basic as that too)  but terrain makes a hell of a difference,  and roaming mobs.

So it may seem like a big difference but you can be assured that after a month or so the difference narrows very quickly.

so just keep rolling with those transport missions and making as much money as you can possibly make... the economy will right itself smile

Nidhogg wrote:
Dune Runner wrote:
Predator Nova wrote:

Yeah something like fuel is definitely good for the economy, as is any other money(nic)-sink. It keeps inflation in check and I fully expect the Energy System to be basically a big money sink. If you look at Eve, one of the most succesful virtual economies, it has tons of these, ranging from ammo to POS Fuel.

Nevertheless the Devs have to be careful about the implementation as it cannot be too tediuos. I'd rather have the big corps carry most of the sinks than the little guy having to grind half hour every day to keep his bot fueled.

This is in no way shape or form a Nic-sink. It will not curb inflation, and anyone who thinks like you is a complete ***.

Can you please explain that a bit further? Im just as stupid as Predator Nova and do not understand you.

Is that concept really so hard to understand?
A NIC sink is a mechanic that removes NIC from the economy. Sales tax, factory fees paid to NPC etc are NIC sinks.
Consumables are no NIC sinks in any shape beyond the taxes and production fees, which can and will be minimized to remain competitive. They are, looking at current rates, not a factor.

Robbie wrote:

Do you have any useful suggestions for generating more pvp and creating a more dynamic economy?

I'm not Krall, obviously, but it seems like a lot of the problem stems from the fact that you can get everything you need on the alpha islands except epitron. So that's the one and only reason to leave those islands for miners. And since those locations are static and guarded by large corps, smaller corps like mine aren't willing to risk it (at this time). If more ores and harvestables were available only on the beta islands, you'd probably see more people moving out. But that requires a development change; there's nothing the players can do for that.

But remember, the problem in EVE of getting players out into lowsec never really went away either. I lived in a .1 system in Black Rise for the last year I played. It was very often dead except for our corp, even though the PI on the planets was far superior to what was available in highsec and the rats in the belts were good (plus when no Goons were around, we could sneak into their 0.0 system and rat their belts). We became much better players by moving out into the Wild West, but not everyone wants the stress and adrenaline rush of learning how to play by a harsher set of rules.

For what the players can do, if the larger corps declared a pact to leave miners and harvesters alone, and strictly abided by it until such days as it's no longer necessary, you might get a jump in the economy as more modules get made and more commodities end up for sale. It means allowing other corps to mine the islands they're dominating, but that's a sacrifice they'd have to make for the good of the entire game economy.

37 (edited by Sundial 2011-07-13 15:31:10)

Snowman wrote:

If you look at the actual benefits you gain from from leveling up skills there really isnt much!

so some have 5% more damage, or 6% more optimal range, maybe they can lock 0.3seconds faster,  battles in PO, as with most pvp games, are won and lost by circumstances and situation.

My first ever pvp experience in eve was vs a 3 year old character who was in a full t2 fitted rifter,  I was in a t1 fitted rifter too and only 2 weeks old.  But the fact I have a plate on and he didnt ensured me the win.

Of course, PO isnt the same as "lock - orbit - fire " (and yes I know eve isnt quite as basic as that too)  but terrain makes a hell of a difference,  and roaming mobs.

So it may seem like a big difference but you can be assured that after a month or so the difference narrows very quickly.

so just keep rolling with those transport missions and making as much money as you can possibly make... the economy will right itself smile

Well, I get your point and agree, however I think you underestimate the value of EP just a bit.

For example, waspish veteran has basic robotics 10, waspish newb has basic robotics 4.

Waspish veteran has 30% more range and damage than waspish newb. Now of course I am not taking into account propellant mixing and other things.

Point is 1v1 waspish newb will have to outplay waspish veteran to be able to win, but with a 30% range disadvantage that will be very difficult (not impossible, just unlikely)

Of course most battles are not 1v1, but you can't just get Basic Robotics 10, Navigation 10, etc in the very first day playing...

38 (edited by Pak 2011-07-13 16:00:34)

Nidhogg wrote:
Dune Runner wrote:
Predator Nova wrote:

Yeah something like fuel is definitely good for the economy, as is any other money(nic)-sink.

This is in no way shape or form a Nic-sink. It will not curb inflation, and anyone who thinks like you is a complete ***.

Can you please explain that a bit further? Im just as stupid as Predator Nova and do not understand you.

Fuel is not a NIC sink. If anything it is a material sink. If fuel is not tradable from player to player and only purchasable by NPCs, then purchasing fuel would be a NIC sink (purchasing it, not using it).

A lot of people use to say that losing robots (or ships or whatever) in PvP is a NIC sink. It isn't. It's a material sink. Actually if there's some sort of insurance then it's a NIC faucet.

In terms of global economy, NIC faucets and material sinks act as an inflationary force while NIC sinks and material faucets act as a deflationary force.

An economy is stable if these opposite forces cancel out (are balanced) AND there is high money speed in the markets. If there is not sufficient money speed, the economy is stagnant and prices will fluctuate wildly independently of any balancing forces. Such fluctuations cannot be controlled by balancing/unbalancing. With high money speed however the economy will tend toward stability in the long term as long as inflationary and deflationary forces are balanced.

Remember: NIC sink is a simple action that removes NIC from the economy, not something that removes it from you. If you buy stuff from another player the only NIC sink is any taxes/market fees you pay, not the price of the item you buy. Using fuel is not a NIC sink as there no NIC removed from the game when you use fuel. Buying fuel from an NPC is a NIC sink, not using it. Buying fuel from another player is not a NIC sink (except taxes and market fees).

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

39 (edited by Juan Valdez 2011-07-13 17:28:41)

I view the gear/ep delta currently in place as inimical to good pvp. Advantages are biased in favor of older players to an excessive degree.

I will not always be a newb. Eventually I will have all those advantages and more; such are the advantages of being leadership in a large corp. I will not stop complaining about these issues.

Giving older players more tactical options in the form of more bots and more gear that they can fit? Great. Giving them significant straight up power advantages over new players? Bad bad bad. Even worse that wallet size (or commie corp equivalent) is a better determinant of pvp outcomes than player ability.

If you want new players to join the game and compete, they need to be reasonably pvp competitive from early in their career. That means higher base stats on bots and lower returns for ep investment rather than player ability to move about. That means low quality gear should be competitive with high quality gear. And it means that active tanks need to be crappier; a single player being able to tank newbies effortlessly is bad bad bad.

Guild Wars was and is a great pvp game because gear and runes were trivial to acquire for pvp. A player can be on mostly equal footing with a vet gear wise within a couple weeks of starting the game. And yet they'll be utterly destroyed by a veteran team, because ability to gear up is irrelevant by comparison with vet ability to assess situations and react appropriately on instinct alone. The very best pvpers in GW don't even really need comms. They have so much experience working together and dealing with situations that a monk pinging low energy is all the information they need to pull off an orderly withdraw.

Sure, there should be a capability delta between vets and newbs. But it should be small. Vets should win through superior knowledge of game mechanics, and the ability to put that knowledge into play with finesse and speed, not by having enormously superior stats and gear just because they logged in longer.

That's what makes for a good pvp game that thrives. I hope the vets of this game will join me in rejecting time subbed as the best determinant of ability to win.

Natalie Waters wrote:

If more ores and harvestables were available only on the beta islands, you'd probably see more people moving out.

I don't believe this would be the case. Epitron itself is a suffcient enough reason to go to the beta islands. The trouble isn't with the need, but with the expectation of success. You could move everything to beta, and still not get the alpha players to move, if the risk stayed as it is now, they would just stop playing.

Each group of players has a different expectation of what is an acceptable risk vs. reward. The current perception/reality is that Beta is a PVP arena, simply because you can shoot someone means you should.

It's a vicious circle, PVP players like fights and most of them like challenging heart racing fights, but because these fights are few and far between, they get bored, so when they see anything on thier radar they just attack it. If they happen to be in a group of 10, well all 10 players are bored, so it's not really fair to let just 1 or 2 fight, so it turns into a ganking. If it happens they run into a alpha corp in a beta mining op, with guards, they hop on vent and next thing you know, 30 show up and your dead.

The risk simply becomes 100% if your spotted, and no reward is worth 100% risk.

Change it up, so that even if your spotted, the roaming party needs to think twice before attacking.

When the beta area's are simply the playground for PVP action, then no incentive is going to be enough to get non-pvp players out there.

Make Beta-2 the wild-west, keep the pvp flag on all beta's, just add in a consequnce for blowing things up for no reason. And then, sure, make things less available on alpha and as long as the risk isn't 100%, we'll go to beta for it.

Better option is ore fields that move around somewhat, and creating a new light mining bot with a decent detection level and slightly higher masking, but worse performance. That way it can ninja mine in peace and quiet.

Aeon, its a start, but getting ore out of the ground is easy, but the built in 6U capacity of a small bot is 27K epitron, but if it takes an hour to get there and back, that's going to take a long time to get the 6 million ore I need to make a batch of Lithus's. What I'm saying is that you have to haul, and the sequar masking is terrible, and the feild container is a shiny beacon of fail.

Transport and the container are the weak links and what make it easy to get spotted, ie dead.

The risk is that everyone wants to kill the miners, and they can. Try to defend, and that's even better, cus now it's a battle, win or lose - we lose because we aren't there to fight.

Arga wrote:

Aeon, its a start, but getting ore out of the ground is easy, but the built in 6U capacity of a small bot is 27K epitron, but if it takes an hour to get there and back, that's going to take a long time to get the 6 million ore I need to make a batch of Lithus's. What I'm saying is that you have to haul, and the sequar masking is terrible, and the feild container is a shiny beacon of fail.

Transport and the container are the weak links and what make it easy to get spotted, ie dead.

The risk is that everyone wants to kill the miners, and they can. Try to defend, and that's even better, cus now it's a battle, win or lose - we lose because we aren't there to fight.

And thus the mercenary Corp is born.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lolno, Lemon, you are wrong. Basic c/b analysis makes it start raving mad to hire a corp to protect a mining op. Any corp able to effectively protect the op will demand enough income to make it a better deal to mine in safety in alpha and buy the ish you need off the market.

Arga wrote:

Remember when I made some suggestions about auto miners? Of course you do, you were against them.

This was the exact reason I suggested them, said they should be beta only and said they should cost more PU than just mining the ish. It reduces the time you spend at risk, and allows you to mobilize an effective support force for the transport run to clear them all. Why? Because pvping defenseless targets is lamer than a fat chick with no legs.

But nooo, that would be intelligent and cut out the dedicated miner who, uh, as I recall, was still required to set them up and on a one to one basis to boot.

Seriously dude, you might want to revisit your opinion on the subject now that you are out and out agreeing with me that c/b is out of whack for ninjaing ore on betas.

I also wanted mining made more interesting and attention required than currently, but I can  understand not wanting your afk-able earnings taken away. That's an incentive for defending the status quo that makes sense. But a viable method for earning epi that also provides _fun_ targets for pvpers? Done and done.

Hey Aeon... some of us have to get paid! thanks for ruining it for me....
*runs away crying* sad

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

I think hiring Merc's for protection is a great feature and adds a lot of flavor to the game. But again, if it comes down to a battle in the current situation, we've already lost.

There's no scaling between how much covering combat forces you need and the size of the operation.

Assuming we've made arrangements with the prominent force on a particular beta Island, that is we're paying for access from the 'owners', and we are looking just for protection from roaming groups.

1 mech, 1 assault, and 1 ewar would be enough to disuade a small pirate band, of course we are talking about hiring this group for 4-5 hours. These players opportunity costs would mean paying them 1.5M per hour for decently skilled pilots. There's 22 M NIC for that, plus the 10 M nice payed to the outpost owner, we're into it for 32 M NIC for a 4 hour mining sessions. This force isn't big enough to cover mining and transport, so add 300k per remote TP trip and another character on gate watch.

Anyway, where I'm going with that, is the operation is large enough that a small band will call in for a larger group, since there will be lots of targets, and then 3 won't be enough to defend.

It could easily get into 100 M NIC to get enough firepower to ensure a succesful mining OP, if you have to pay a Merc company for it.

It takes a lot of mining to get 100 M NIC's worth of epitron, and then it's break even, you've done all the extra risk with no better reward.

Alternately, if a beta corp was strong enough to lock down an their Island, then we could pay the owner 100M nic for access, but if that was possible, then it would be better just to pay that corp to mine it for me and not have to get 10 players togehter in 400M nic worth of mining bots for a day just to make it worth it.

Or, maybe I'm over-valuing Merc operations?

47 (edited by Arga 2011-07-13 20:11:40)

Unattended anything is bad, a few sarcastic words won't change my opinion on that.

Edit: Someone else a few months ago asked for Auto-turrets that can be deployed to protect a mining group. That was a bad idea too, but if your saying I have a choice between replacing Miners or replacing comat players. I'll take the auto-turrets and you can blow yourself up attacking them or sit in an outpost instead of the miner.

Depending on the quality of the mercs you hired depends on how effecting/risky the operation is.

For example the only concern you have is to maintain a Hauler to Mined amount ratio. As long as you are close enough to a TP to extract if spotted and your can is sub a lithus load at all time. You could easily effectively ninja mine.

As far as having a decent merc corp this is how i would view it. Assuming you hired top tiered mercs who would insist on a reimbursement policy on their death this is how it would go down.

Assume you have 6-12 rivler mining with 3 pilots defending and 3 lithus running. Can is empty at all times.  now assume a 5 man light roam spots this groups of targets... They can take it so they do 1 of 2 things.

Call for zerg light assistance or fall back and take 30+ min to form a effective squad. Assuming you are within 15 mins of a teleporter you can safely extract easily.

Utilizing 2 TP's you can minimize the number of lithus you need.

Mercs role would be to intercept and protect the rivlers at all cost, includes kamakzing if needed. There are plenty of pilots capable of fending off 10-25 enamy players in 3-5 man groups.

Undefeated 2013

just a quick question - is it faster or no to harvest the 'potatoes' as it is to mine epitron?

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

50 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-13 20:54:44)

Sorry to double post - I've been thinking about autoharvesters.

What if it was something that worked like this.

If:

It is: something that comes in several flavors.  1hr, 2hr, 4hr.
It is: controllable: it can be deactivated early.
It is: set to, on deactivation, revert to a field container which will degrade, as they do, in 10 minutes.
It is: inefficient - does 25% of the work manual harvesting would be.
It is: insecure.  Anyone who discovers an autoharvester can control it, which includes deactivating it and emptying the resulting can.
It is: targetable.  You can shoot it with a single mech and do not need to catch it in a crossfire (like potatoes).
It is: detectable on radar.

People would still place autoharvesters on beta.  These autoharvesters can then be: shot, deactivated, emptied out, or camped.  Why camped?  Well, because if you find a 2hr autoharvester, and can tell it is going to revert in 1hr, then you know someone will liekly be showing up to try and collect the contents.

Seems like a lot of reasons why autoharvesters would be pointless.  But if you consider an autoharvester like an incubator, you find that they will not be 'do your job AFK' modules, but possible points of conflict on the map.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.