Topic: Em vs gauss

so on my kain with 2 mag stabs i noticed something that doesnt make a whole lot of scene with the weapons.
t2 EM guns stats
30 ap
7.74 sec cycle
damage of 261%
falloff of 87m
hit dispersion of 7.65
optimal range of 316m

t2 gauss
13 ap
4.65 sec cycle time
damage of 222%
falloff of 57m
hit dispersion of 8.50
optimal range of 164m

so my question is why does a close range weapon have a low chance of hitting its target if its up close and personal then a long range weapon that is 300+ meters away from its target? Shouldn't close range weapons hit more often then the rest?

Re: Em vs gauss

I agree, close range weapons should hit more often, and have a better chance then long range weapons.. More risk, more "reward"

My guess is that it was an attempt to emulate accuracy:  Closer range guns have shorter barrels and therefore more inaccurate.

calculate the DPS of the close range weapon and then ask again.

(probably why do close range weapons have so much more dps then long range ones)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

the correct answer is the DPS, but an approximate analogy is rifle vs shotgun

U WNT SNIPER SHOTGUN WITH BAZOOKA DMG? K LET ME CHANGE STATS!

->You just lost The Game<-

Neoxx wrote:

no if you would think for a second thats not what im asking for the guy that said cal the dps here u go
normal med slug 44 base damage 28 kin 16 other

so using the t2 em guns thats 114.84 per shot and with my skills the fire every 7.74 secs so 14.83 dps still with a hit dispersion of 7.64 and 30 ap per shot

the t2 gauss guns fire 97.68 per shot and with my skills fire every 4.65 secs so a dps of 21 with a hit dispersion of 8.5
so u are getting 6.2 more dps per gun if you hit EVERY TIME and you are at close range where everyone and everything can shoot back so once again I ask why does the close range guns miss more often then the long range weapons!

Virlomi Silver wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

no if you would think for a second thats not what im asking for the guy that said cal the dps here u go
normal med slug 44 base damage 28 kin 16 other

so using the t2 em guns thats 114.84 per shot and with my skills the fire every 7.74 secs so 14.83 dps still with a hit dispersion of 7.64 and 30 ap per shot

the t2 gauss guns fire 97.68 per shot and with my skills fire every 4.65 secs so a dps of 21 with a hit dispersion of 8.5
so u are getting 6.2 more dps per gun if you hit EVERY TIME and you are at close range where everyone and everything can shoot back so once again I ask why does the close range guns miss more often then the long range weapons!

Because its a shotgun.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

9 (edited by Virlomi Silver 2011-07-09 03:35:39)

6 dps is only if it hits every time people  so sure the em guns does a little less damage dps but how does that matter if the gauss misses 11% more often!

Remember about the cycle time. The gauss has a short cycle, no time to aim it "properly", EM have a long cycle time, using it for charge/targeting. Also: shotgun.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

6 dps difference you say... thats 20% more dps for the short range weapon.

even if you say its missing 11% more often, thats still more dps on the gauss...

and if you go to a higher tier gauss - at t4 the gauss makes even more DPS (enough damage per shot that a mesmer can possibly one-shot a green mech or heavy mech)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

About 1500dmg per volley + possible crits smile

13 (edited by Mr Trap 2011-07-09 16:30:33)

DPS stats. Slugs do 44 damage each.

A medium EM-gun does twice this damage, every 10 seconds. 88/10=8,8 dps.
A medium Gauss gun does 1.7x this damage, but every 6 seconds. 74,8/6= 12,47 dps

The gauss gun does a little over 40% more dps than the EM-gun but misses maybe 10% more. Sounds fair to me.

Edit: gauss guns also use slightly less accumulator than EM-guns and are easier to fit. And most the time, you're going to choose between range and dps, which would also make it attractive to load Gauss guns with composit core slugs that do 60 damage each making you deal a happy 17 dps.

Gauss will not drain a average skilled player and will allow them to use a tanking setup should they choose to.

EM guns will use much more AP and do less DPS but have a better range. Their chance to hit is usually not important as Gauss can easily be skilled to hit mechs and will always hit heavy mechs.

Mr Trap wrote:

A medium Gauss gun does 1.7x this damage, but every 6 seconds. 74,8/6= 12,47 dps

The gauss gun does a little over 40% more dps than the EM-gun but misses maybe 10% more. Sounds fair to me.

Edit: gauss guns also use slightly less accumulator than EM-guns and are easier to fit. And most the time, you're going to choose between range and dps, which would also make it attractive to load Gauss guns with composit core slugs that do 60 damage each making you deal a happy 17 dps.

about your edit not they use about 4 less ap then EM guns as gauss guns fire twice as fast .....as to alexander and noobs really cant hope for insta kills as to be in range you are to close to a spawn and the spawns dps will kill you even beforw ewar comes into play

Virlomi Silver wrote:
Mr Trap wrote:

about your edit not they use about 4 less ap then EM guns as gauss guns fire twice as fast .....as to alexander and noobs really cant hope for insta kills as to be in range you are to close to a spawn and the spawns dps will kill you even beforw ewar comes into play

Uh yeah, so you're confirming my point?

gauss guns also use slightly less accumulator than EM-guns

gauss 16/6 = 2,33
EM 30/10=3

17 (edited by Sabre906 2011-07-09 22:38:47)

Supported. Gauss needs a buff.

The only real measure for balance is usage. Nobody uses them in pvp, which is pretty good indication that they suck, and thus need a buff. Anyone can argue over what stats mean until they're red in the face, but it's people's action that says it all, not their words. tongue

Yes buff my gauss cannons, I dont use' em at all! I swear!