Topic: High Ping and Packet Loss

Hi,

I recently joined thsi game and have noticed really high ping. The lowest it goes to is about 600 but it can go upto 2000 and even N/A. I followed some advice from another thread and did the required analysis.

Below is an image of a trace to the server as well as the raw data that the program spits out. There are clearly some spots where the latency increases significantly but the biggest problem seems to be the packet loss in frankfur and beyond. Hopefully this is some temporary or fixable issue sad

http://tomekz.com/pHRONEOPING.PNG
http://tomekz.com/pHRONEO.TXT

Phroneo

This game is awesome btw, the devs are godlike for making it so good and with so few resources.

Re: High Ping and Packet Loss

The words "Dial-up" in that routers address is slightly worrying but your connection to the game can't be helped.

Your route to and around America seems reasonable however the routes into Hungary are less than desirable. Honestly there isn't much you can do but hope they move the server to a more connected location. 500ms isn't the end of the world but the spikes to over 2000 will be trouble.

The Game

3 (edited by Phroneo 2010-11-27 17:15:37)

Are there any plans for moving the server or changing anything that could improve the way I connect? I wish there was a way to force a bypass of that one IP address. This game is awesome and fun but I fear that there's no point in trying to achieve much as the rubberband lag that I get and frequent lag spikes would make PvP impossible sad

Is it possible to fix by talking to my ISP?

Alexander wrote:

The words "Dial-up" in that routers address is slightly worrying but your connection to the game can't be helped.

Your route to and around America seems reasonable however the routes into Hungary are less than desirable. Honestly there isn't much you can do but hope they move the server to a more connected location. 500ms isn't the end of the world but the spikes to over 2000 will be trouble.

Seeing as how the server is located in Hungary I think that route is unavoidable.. .

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

OP can get a vpn so he get another route neutral

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

Any chance of getting the server moved to Germany or somewhere more centralized to the player base? I get frequent "lag outs" too often. Haven't lost any mechs due to it yet, but I sense the potential of that happening.

7 (edited by Phroneo 2010-11-28 04:00:08)

It would be good if the Devs could give us some info on likely future  changes. Maybe someone could also give me some details on how I could go about trying to solve this througha  private VPN. I am unsure how to go about finding a suitable VPN that wouldn't just take me down the same route with an extra stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! smile

PS

I understand if Perpetuum needs to become a bit more popular before any changes helpful to people like me are implemented. However, knowing that would give me and others like me hope and willingness to stay on.

Lets move the server into the center of the Atlantic Ocean, because thats right in between the 2 main subscriber bases!

GOGOGOGO!

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Neoxx wrote:

Lets move the server into the center of the Atlantic Ocean, because thats right in between the 2 main subscriber bases!

GOGOGOGO!

that will be iceland but there internet there kinda sux

10 (edited by Weapon X 2010-11-28 07:01:01)

I have the exact same thing and on TPG as well. AU Sydney.

I will run some tests and post em tonight.

Btw where did you run that tracert from? I want to use the same thing.

Edit: I can get my friend whose currently on Internode to run the test. I suspect its TPG's dodgy international routing as usual.

Weapon X wrote:

Btw where did you run that tracert from? I want to use the same thing.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … g-and-you/

Mine looks even worse.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ … inecom.png

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ … necom2.png

Getting my friend whose on iinet to test now.

13 (edited by Kessandrios 2010-12-01 00:33:18)

Hey guys, I have a terrible ping as well. I'm in Sydney Australia and also with TPG...

What on earth can we do?

Is there anything like proxifier we could use? Or port forwarding that I'm not aware of?

This is my friends traceroute who lives in a suburb nearby and is with iinet on ADSL 2

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ … ngtest.png

I've had some success achieving stable latency by using a US proxy through software like ProxyCap. Was playing last night at 500-700ms with only the occasional N/A spike.

I usually have around 450-500ms latency. Playing from Sydney with Internode. Its not the best ping and I do get occasional spikes but haven't lagged out yet.

I don't lag out, just frequent N/A spikes and massive packet loss. I look forward to trying this ProxyCap thing to help my connection tonight.

Neoxx wrote:

GOGOGOGO!

Lets compromise and put it on the US East or West coast (grin);)

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Phroneo wrote:

I don't lag out, just frequent N/A spikes and massive packet loss. I look forward to trying this ProxyCap thing to help my connection tonight.

When I start having trouble I find a proxy and enable it. Rarely lasts long though. Only a good idea if u have a private reliable one imo. More often than not I'm running without it.

I 'm waiting for my churn to iinet to complete. Will post results then.

19 (edited by Weapon X 2010-12-11 04:13:18)

Yay im finally on iiNet!

Routing is looking a little better. But seems to have trouble in Europe still.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ … -iinet.png

Testing ingame atm.

Edit: So far avg < 400ms with no spikes big_smile

Edit2: Lag still sux. Occasional spike and N/A. Always at the worst time.

Hello,

have you guys ever tried this?
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i … .html#info

Im from Europe and I used to play WoW at US servers at one point, this helped me reduce my ping by about 300ms. Im not completely sure if its going to work with Perpetuum too, but its not aimed specifically to WoW, so there is a chance. Give it a try and report results smile If nothing you can just easily uninstall it.

You can also see comments tab on the link above to see how many users improved and reported their ping with this.

Good luck.

Outlaw wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

GOGOGOGO!

that will be iceland but there internet there kinda sux

Kinda?... ^^  CCP has EVE's data center and its super clusters just out side of London, because the internet in Iceland would be like using two cans and a string ^^  I doubt Hungry is quite that bad, but Eastern Europe is not nearly as centralized as Germany or even France. I play on the WoW European servers (in Paris), and I seldom have any problems at all.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.