Topic: False flags on avatars needs to go.

I understand how it can be useful to know what language someone speaks by seeing it next to their avatar but the ball was dropped here.

The flags are misleading.  Just because a person speaks Spanish, does not mean they are from/live in Spain.  What if they live in Toronto and speak French.  So they have a flag from France plastered next to their name in every chat box?

Please remove the flags and replace it with the name of the language instead of some flag that may or may not be correct.

Re: False flags on avatars needs to go.

nit picky much?

-1 not really an issue.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I'd be ok with keeping the flags if they were remotely accurate. I have yet to see a single player sporting a flag for a North American country, despite knowing a large number of players from that side of the pond.

My guess is the Trans-Atlantic IP bridge is stripping the origination IP address and replacing it with one localized to Great Brittain.

/shrug

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

6 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-07 14:35:00)

The language is not what you speak but what the client is set for. Sorry that you have to use British English and not US English. Sorry for having a "French" client. I am so sorry. Here, have some EP for all your hurts and qq's

Be proud of your language. Just because someone has a Spanish flag doesn't mean they speak English. It's a nice sub-feature. Ignorable and not important.

It's not their location but the language of the client they are using. If they're using a Spanish client they're fluent in Spanish which means if you have a question and only speak Spanish then you have a list of people you can ask.

It's a tool to help others fine people who speak the same language as them.

I know it represents the client they are playing on.  What I am saying is why is the client they downloaded so important that it needs to be displayed next to their name on every single chat window they are in?

If it is there to represent the language they speak as well, then it fails horribly.  We all know that just because you can speak one language does not mean you are in fact from and/or living in that country.

What would work far better is for the actual name of the language, that the player chooses via forums or in game settings or whatever, and the language name is displayed there.  Not some icon that represents a country.  You could even remove the flag, replace it with say the corporation logo and if someone mouses over the players avatar, after a few seconds it would have some small window that would display the languages they speak and maybe some other information.

Bottom line is that country flag stuff has got to go and a more accurate display for what language(s) a player speaks is in order.

tl;dr. You are as bored as I am at work.

This is confusing for new players, as I was when I started, I thought only british/german players played this game.

Not really an issue to ponder too much about.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

This is confusing for new players, as I was when I started, I thought only british/german players played this game.

Not really an issue to ponder too much about.

This is what I'm saying.  I am not saying to drop every ounce of programming for an expansion.  Just maybe make it more intuitive on what the message of what language the player speaks.

So you want either make it hide under some setting, deep in the profile or make it written not shown as an icon, taking a lot more space? Very intuitive indeed.

Norrdec is clearly against Amerikka

Its easy to understand when you know what it means.  It stands for language only.  Its actually quite nice to know that someone may not speak your language when you're thinking of PM'ing someone, and may help finding someone to translate.

English flag: English!
Spanish flag: Mexican!
German flag: Naz... German!

HURR DURR I DONT NO WEAR MY LANGWEDGE CUHMS FRUM.

->You just lost The Game<-

for myself, the flag shows me which client language the other one has active - that helps allot if someone is asking for help or about a game feature.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

As soon as the client comes in every language it won't be an issue.
But what is so hard to understand that Germans keep German? or English speak English?
When I scroll down general and can see which person in using which client language. This would be great when new to the game and looking for other people that speak your language. People tend not to play games they can't read. If they're using the client in XYZ language then they speak XYZ and it makes helping and communicating easier.

What is the difference between En and the Icon of the English flag? They mean the same thing.

Oh gawd... he did actually create a thread...

Why not spend all this effort on finding actual game enhancing stuff to help improve.

The OP is just out to troll people and cause aggro.  Either that or I think he has real issues with the United Kingdom.

It's far easier for people to identify languages by the flag representing the origin of the language they speak... your brain interprets that faster than something written.  That you, OP, have an issue with that, was mildly amusing when you ranted in General Chat.  That you're continuing your campaign here is just trolling now.

As I said ingame, if all you can do is moan, go make your own MMO or gtfo back to EvE/WoW.

-G

My brain doesn't interpret it faster when I have no damn clue what the flag stands for!

->You just lost The Game<-

Alexander wrote:

As soon as the client comes in every language it won't be an issue.
But what is so hard to understand that Germans keep German? or English speak English?
When I scroll down general and can see which person in using which client language. This would be great when new to the game and looking for other people that speak your language. People tend not to play games they can't read. If they're using the client in XYZ language then they speak XYZ and it makes helping and communicating easier.

What is the difference between En and the Icon of the English flag? They mean the same thing.

Just because I speak English does not mean I'm from England.

-1 they have bigger fish to fry

21 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-08 08:53:32)

-1 can I have chips with those fishes?