Topic: Good Autocannon Platform? A Comparison and a ?

Do they exist? Outside of the Arkhe and Arkhe MK2 that is tongue

(For this comparison, ignore racial weapons...yes yes, i know.)

Was looking at creating a combat character focused on autocannons, But came up....Short.

Assault and lower, Im tied between The Arbalest and the Baphomet. (Team green left out Because of lack of turret slots, obviously.)

The Arby has a higher base speed, a bonus to falloff and repper amount, but suffers from lower base reactor and armor.

The Baph Has a critical hit bonus, and a bonus to accum capacity, in addition to higher armor, higher base accumulator capacity, and base reactor.

Slot layouts are the same between the two otherwise.

I'm stuck between the two. While the Arbys higher top speed and bonus to falloff will allow me to get in close and apply more DPS, The Baph has a nice critical bonus and is simply sturdier to stay in the fight longer.

Mechs-
The Kain has the same bonuses as the Arby, But higher CPU and Speed over the Artemis. The Artemis Has a Higher Accumulator capacity, Tank Bonuses, Higher base armor and reactor, The Crit bonus, And trades 1 Missile slot for an extra head slot.

Hmech-

The Mesmer wins this one for the bonuses tab. With its (standard?) falloff and repper bonus, It beats out the Seth's Shield Absorption And Critical Bonus.

As far as Hmech comparison, As typical, The Mesmer has higher CPU, and base speed. but suffers in the base armor/accumulator capacity department. The Mesmer also is down 1 Head slot to the Seth, But has a Utility Chassis slot in its place.

I guess my question comes down to this. For a combat Character Focused on autos, What would you do, and your reasoning behind it?

Or have i just lost my mind and am setting myself up for failure.

Re: Good Autocannon Platform? A Comparison and a ?

I tried to focus on Firearms to begin with and they just arnt worth it, I ended up re-specing the skills out.

They do great DPS, but their weight makes them too slow for pvp, ok for Pve farming though.

Guess there needs to be some kind of balancing before they can be considerd viable enough to spend EP into the skills

Heavy-shielded Seth with autocannons is great and deadly in right hands.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

4 (edited by Annihilator 2011-07-07 11:59:04)

small firearms - crap
medium Autocannons on Heavy Laser Mech are better then Medium HCL laser, even with maxed advanced robotics, the ACs will do more DPS at a bit less range... with almost zero AP consumption and less EP invested.

though, the mass could be an issue, it really doesnt matter on a seth at all (that thing is slower then anything else ingame anyway...)

i have to do another chart to show ranges:
DPS comparison

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The AC can be a good investment for yellows and blues, as it doesnt use accu, making it possible to use it to rep/fire at the npc's till the gun clip goes click click click and/or eyes bleed.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I maybe able to assist you with something that you may enjoy that utilizes auto cannons.

PM me in game

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

So with precision 10, I should probably go with auto-cannons on the Artemis for PVE farming? Or would it be better to go with the machine guns with faster cycle times since i have the dispersion reduction already?

Shooting mechs or assaults?

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Mechs

For Auto Cannons all you need is a dispersion a sub 8 which would require Precision 8

Undefeated 2013

Ok. But I was just curious if the machine gun would be a better option? It looks like it should have more DPS with the faster cycle time (Gmail is blocked at work so I can't see Anni's chart) with the draw back of greater dispersion; but if I'm already at 10 (which I am) and fighting PVE, would it be better then lasers or auto-cannons against Nimq mechs?

against blue - laser
against anything else, really depends on the range you prefer.

the chart was updated, as i totally oversaw the cycletime bonus you get for faction weapon from your faction extension (thelodica robot control 8 = 8% cycletime bonus)

MG may have the better DPS, but much shorter range - and AFAIK, firearms ammo is more expensive to build then laser ammo (at least its more complicated)

last but not least: you get t4 autocannons from market... for t4 med Laser you need to trade with a beta corp. (and really, laser below t3- SUCK)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

13 (edited by Saha 2011-07-08 02:26:51)

Could we please stop posting all the crap about AC being good? Specially on Heavies. Since that's just stupid except couple extreemly specialized fits which none of newbies will come up with neither as majority of posters in this thread. Specially the statements with lvl 10 advanced robotics involved.

well ACs are good.

they deal more damage for less invested EP
they deal it independant on which bot you mount it
they deal it on a lvl4 adv. robotics heavy mech, same ammount as they do on a lvl10 adv. robotics heavy mech.

they are cheaper to build, you get the research from drone kernels, and they need less CPU/Reactor then other weapons.
you can even fit two of them onto an assault

so what so whats not "good" about them?

Annihilator wrote:

well ACs are good.

they deal it on a lvl4 adv. robotics heavy mech, same ammount as they do on a lvl10 adv. robotics heavy mech.

they are cheaper to build, you get the research from drone kernels, and they need less CPU/Reactor then other weapons.

Those are the pluses, and while i haven't played this game too long, I've noticed as far as small ACs, range is a HUGE issue. your ALWAYS fighting in falloff unless you just go charging into a spawn. and even then with the weight of the ACs, your hindered in actually GETTING there with any decent amount of speed.

TL:DR reminds me too much of blaster boats in EVE

16 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-08 13:34:48)

There is one realy good reason to fit Autocannons on Yagals => farm amunition/kores from Drones and Numqal Drones AS ROOKIE!

Even with bad extensions you get more amunition out of Drones then you need to kill them. Plus you get some additional money from Plasma/Loot/Kores (if you sell them). In addition you might be able to farm your first Magnetic Weapons and Amu from Numqals which saves you some NIC too wink.

There are some 1st star Spawn with Bots which use the high damage short range amunition. They can be farmed pritty easy with Autocannons on a Yagal as you have much more Energy to rep then with Magnet Weapons. And this spawn comes up to 60m which is perfectly finy into optimal of T1 and T3 Autocannons.
Some other spawns stay at 75m which is fine for T1/3 too. T2/4 has again optimal problems. Anyway, the falloff bonus from blue Bots let you do decent damage up to 100m with any Tech level.

For NPC shoting don't use T4. T3 has a much higher alpha (higher volley) with higher cycle time. Using T4 means, you need much more amunition then with T3. Your overall DPS isn't hurt to much with T3 too.

Overall I'd prefare blue bots do to the falloff Bonus which effects all guns. The critical bonus from yellow isn't noticed until you get ~10% from extensions. As soon as you hit 15% or even 20% fast T4 Autocannons with upgrades and extensions might be a realy deadly killer wink.

PS:
T3 small Autocannon 70m opti + 140m falloff
50% bonus just from the Yagal max = 210m falloff => 280m hit range with ~140m where you still do good damage.
Remember: Yagal base lock range is 125m

So you need realy good targeting extensions AND mods to reach the 280 max hit range wink.

Annihilator wrote:

well ACs are good.

Well, ACs are crap.

They are lowest dps weapon at reasonable EP levels when similar range weapons are taken into consideration.
They are heavy and make you slow except certain Kain builds which involves prototypes.
You'll have WASTED EP when you finally switch to proper weapons.

If one can't fit heavy properly because of cpu/reactor - one shouldn't drive heavy.

Ac's are for ratting.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please