Topic: Map Closing Lag

Not sure if its been discussed before, but a search says probably not.

So the map takes ages to close and locks up the client until it does.  In my mind, its because the map is in the process of rendering in full resolution and closing the window doesn't interrupt this process.  If you keep the map open longer, the problem isn't as bad or doesn't exist, which just makes me think I'm onto something.

Is this being worked on?  I currently dread having to open the map because os the lag inevitable lag that's to follow.

->You just lost The Game<-

2 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-06 09:07:36)

Re: Map Closing Lag

+1 is very annoying if you have to close the map. (let me scan here... oh wait was that an observer *closes maps quickly and poo-poos brickz*)

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Totally agreed.
The map opening and closing issue is a major pain. I get the feeling the reason behind this is the huge size of the map and very high resolution. When opening the map you can actually see the JPEG being loaded as progressive and it's bad... very bad.
Perhaps the simplest solution at this point would be to reduce the quality of the map, therefore making the picture faster to load and unload (free up memory)? Just a thought...

Raavi "The Unforgiven" Arda

The problem is not the resolution of the map (it's needed to be so high for all the details on the map) but the fact the process doesn't cease when you close the map.

The jitter / hangup during the closing of any map is due to a sloppy solution from my part. I will fix it when I get around it.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Cool, nice to hear that. Yeah sloppy code always bites you back somewhere else.

Okay, I can confirm this fixed - there's still a tiny bit of jitter (the reason for this is that it waits for at least the last rendering thread to finish), but it's considerably better now.

8 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-06 14:02:10)

From first post to fix in 10h, pretty good for an indie dev big_smile

I just woke up, okay?! smile

/me is waiting for another fix - 20min from post to fix

On the other hand there were some bugs after patch days that were killed in less than that big_smile

Raavi Arda wrote:

When opening the map you can actually see the JPEG being loaded as progressive and it's bad... very bad.

Btw, no wink

Good to hear.

->You just lost The Game<-

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Raavi Arda wrote:

When opening the map you can actually see the JPEG being loaded as progressive and it's bad... very bad.

Btw, no wink

ouch... just like google maps loading a huge jpg... right?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

If for some reason you need to urgently (eg because of the appearance Observer) to remove the map from the screen, click on the minimize rather than close.
Map immediately disappears.

Annihilator wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:
Raavi Arda wrote:

Btw, no wink

ouch... just like google maps loading a huge jpg... right?

AFAIK 'no' in the sense that the maps are generated (computed), not loaded as jpegs (and surely not loaded from the network like google maps).

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman