Topic: Finding resources

Been playing for about 2 weeks now. Harvesting is easy, you can see where the good spots are but locating resources under the ground is more tricky.

So far I have been deploying in a fast bot with plenty of area based charges of various ores/liquids and systematically surveying large tracts of land. When I have found an area with a good percentage of ore/liquid I have noted what sort of characteristics the landscape has (slope, plants, buildings, proximity to water, terrain texture) and tried to work out whether these have any bearing on where I might find similar resources. I've surveyed only on alpha islands but have tried all over.

All to no avail. I'm finding it very hard to work out and resources almost impossible to find. Am I going about this the right way? Will persistence pay off?

Re: Finding resources

All the spots are kinda random, some have little things that stick like stermonite being close to hills. The area scans+ tile scans are the best way to go imho.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Train up your scanning skills.... and don't use a syntec scanner they are worthless. If you right click on your scanner mod information it should tell you the accuracy. If its low then you might have a hard time finding stuff....

Another way to find stuff is to look for miners and take a universal charge go sit beside them and shoot it off. Now you know what they are mining switch to a tile and scan it to see how much damage they are doing to the minerals lol

Another way thats alittle more intrusive is to cargo scan the miners...  also with the influx of players alot of the more popular areas are going to get overmined fast.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

as Nordec said, area scanning should be enough; get fastest robot u can and do a geoscan of the area you will be living. Spamming universal geoscan charges in places where you think there would be a good spot for mining normally gets good results too and way faster imo (good thing with universal its they will tell you if there are more than one material in same tile).

Cheers for the tips - seems like I wasn't too far away from the right method.

Geoscanner accuracy is currently 62.5% (I'm in an Argano and get 25% bonus) - is that good enough?

The other extensions I can find for geo-scanner accuracy are:

Basic Geology: area scans +5% area covered per lvl
Advanced Geology: tile scans +5% area covered per lvl
Basic Geochemistry: Accuracy using charges (not universal) +4.5% per lvl

apart from bonuses from the bot are there any I've missed?

One more thing is that the better geoscanner you have, the better the accuracy smile Nothing else to add.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

62% should be fine to find a good spot, and no nothing you missed just look for other miners and start scanning their spots... Waypoint it and come back later the areas are persistant just takes some time for them to "refresh" and the closer to the outpost the more likely it will get over mined out of ease and proximity.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

if you can afford, by t3 or t4 geoscanner -

the t4 will have 100% accuracy in your termis or argano, or when you go artifact hunting, with the accuracy extension on 8 you get 100% on any bot with a t4.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Area-based scans are good if you are looking for a specific type, but it's very time consuming to reload the scanner to check them all.

The universal charge will tell you all the different types of ore available, but only on the single tile you are standing on.

If I'm in an area that just looks like it should have minerals, I'll run around the area scanning in a big X. Now, it's still possible to miss minerals this way, but the fields would need to be fairly small to avoid detection.

Of course, once you get a hit, then load that area scan charge in and see how much is there, then add a waypoint.

I've used all my starting funds and hour upon hour upon hour looking for something to mine and cant find anything.

TLaar Bok wrote:

I've used all my starting funds and hour upon hour upon hour looking for something to mine and cant find anything.

you know, there are assignments that lead to to several ore deposits to beginn with

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/raw_materials

That may be of some assistance in recognizing patterns to find ores. Minerals have typical spots they occur in, and if you look long enough, you will eventually develop a sense for materials, or so I'm told.

Sounds like you have the right set up now and a lot of good advise.  Once you figure it out, you will find you have more ore then time to get it all. 
Using the missions to find Ore is a good method as previously stated, but be careful, with all the new players doing this trick, those areas get depleted quickly. (do lvl 2 missions at the outposts to overcome this issue).
Moving away from a termial is another good trick, but then you have to tranport all you new materials back to the terminal (this is the best method if you plan to drop a can and power mine lots of ore, then come back with your sequers)
Look on the less populated Islands is another way to go.  Try one of the new Alpha islands.  Less competetion for the good fields, but be careful with reward comes risk; new alpha islands have harder NPCs and more roaming groups (do not AFK mine)

Good luck and good mining; its the miners that keep the PvP pilots in ships (who then come and kill us while we mine..hmm)