Re: Alpha vs Beta balancing?

Over crowding on alpha would push people to beta. The trouble with that is it requires time and for population to increase, and to keep population we need something more intersting... that is the population won't get to that level because people will get bored/frustrated and leave first.

I still can't help getting the feeling that more people don't go to beta because there's just too many players over there having 'fun' with PVP and not enough willing to put in the effort to build something serious. Foom would have done it, but they made have moved a little too soon, while NeX can probably do it a little sooner just because of their larger membership. In any case, it's more likely to the be newer players, and the 'vets will end up playing catch-up.

77 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-20 15:41:01)

I see it as a matter of trying to move intoa nice neighborhood, where the people who already live there want to relegate you into a 'safe' spot (by their standards) so you're not too close to their doorstep.  If you drive down their street the cops come out and arrest you because you didn't follow their 'advice' on what you 'should' have done to not 'step on toes'.

aka - prejudice.  And THAT is blatant everywhere.

It's a player mechanic.  What can you do?

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Arga wrote:

Over crowding on alpha would push people to beta. The trouble with that is it requires time and for population to increase, and to keep population we need something more intersting... that is the population won't get to that level because people will get bored/frustrated and leave first.

I still can't help getting the feeling that more people don't go to beta because there's just too many players over there having 'fun' with PVP and not enough willing to put in the effort to build something serious. Foom would have done it, but they made have moved a little too soon, while NeX can probably do it a little sooner just because of their larger membership. In any case, it's more likely to the be newer players, and the 'vets will end up playing catch-up.

Build _what_ exactly? There's nothing to build out there. The only stuff you can do is zero sum, like mining fields or harvesting plants or stuff. Farming rats is a bit different, but still no one wants to risk getting slaughtered by a neutral on their island while they're pve fit and farming rats.

A community maybe? There's no real advantage to having a bunch of neutrals running about on the island, and plenty of downsides. And while taking weaker alliances into the fold is an option for larger beta holders, there's not much profit in it given the irritation of handling loads of new egos that need to be stroked.

In a softball tournement, you don't get any special bonus in life for being the champion, you do it to test yourself and your team against others.

There doesn't have to be a super-shiny toy at the bottom of the beta outpost cereal box. But sure as long as the community has the idea that "I didn't want that outpost anyway" then they'll never be a good enough reason to strive for it.

All it takes is some leaders to step forward and say, "This is important." if you can take and hold an outpost then we'll respect you. This risk v reward is a bunch of krap. Maybe something is worth doing just because it's difficult.

M2S understands this game concept, and they want to be the best on the server. This new change with setting access to outposts is going to make it really really hard for corporations to beat M2S, since the attackers can't move in a force during off hours, they acutally don't have to have people at each outpost until the intrusions are scheduled.

Be sure to bookmark this post, when 3 months from now everyone is complaining about how m2s is too powerful again because everyone else thought outpost were worthless.

/end rant

Arga wrote:

In a softball tournement, you don't get any special bonus in life for being the champion, you do it to test yourself and your team against others.

There doesn't have to be a super-shiny toy at the bottom of the beta outpost cereal box. But sure as long as the community has the idea that "I didn't want that outpost anyway" then they'll never be a good enough reason to strive for it.

All it takes is some leaders to step forward and say, "This is important." if you can take and hold an outpost then we'll respect you. This risk v reward is a bunch of krap. Maybe something is worth doing just because it's difficult.

M2S understands this game concept, and they want to be the best on the server. This new change with setting access to outposts is going to make it really really hard for corporations to beat M2S, since the attackers can't move in a force during off hours, they acutally don't have to have people at each outpost until the intrusions are scheduled.

Be sure to bookmark this post, when 3 months from now everyone is complaining about how m2s is too powerful again because everyone else thought outpost were worthless.

/end rant

I think there is something wrong with your post. Its almost like you traveled back in time.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

... wait, this isn't 1986?

There's probably something wrong with it, more than 1 something.

I'm not trying to create the future, in fact I'm hoping that Corps look at it more as an incentive to get out there and get established, even if it's a little more work 'right now' then living on alpha, because sooner or later its just going to get harder - not easier.

Unless of course the rumors of beta being 'empty' are overstated, in which case congrats current owners!

Arga wrote:

/end rant

Arga, what about the public terminals on beta?

People can still use those regardless.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Do you mean as a staging area for an attack?  Shh.. your giving away all the secrets smile

But, yes. There's also logins and moible TP's among other things. So it's certianly isn't impossible to remove someone from an outpost once they are settled in.

I'm just saying that this one strategy, of camping your target's outpost, won't be available. Being able to undock a couple of bots before the intrusion and work them down through attrition over the course of a week is much harder when you have to actually travel across the Island in some way to get there.

Maybe 'really really hard' was an overstatement .. just 'harder' maybe?

You still didn't answer what they'd be building. It's just gibberish about people only respecting holders.

I'm not sure what M2S is gonna do with their outpos when they get it, or why they suddenly want one. We sure haven't figured out a point when we can just use other people's betas in perfect safety during their off tz, and then roam them when they log in. I mean Christ have you seen how obnoxious it is to get in/out of betas? Some of them have tps that occasionally get so badly ringed by rats that moving forward is unpossible for a pvp group. Imagine trying to take a hauler through there for trade purposes, huge pita. Meanwhile our duders have better access and transit in shinj, and they can't get ganked while jawing, a huge peeve for some of them. Not everyone likes to ninja epi mine I guess.

Maybe in the future it'll be worth taking one, but if it is I have a feeling NEX will be able to pull it off. In the mean time the convenience of an a2 beats the nil prestige of holding and the significant irritations for us anyway. Just ask FOOM what a logi nightmare it is when you can't use lithus trains.

M2S is 'old school' I guess. If no one else wants the outpost, I'm sure M2S will just take them because they can.

The changes to intrusions and ownership/taxes may effect the strategy, which I'm just guessing at, but if it was me, I would definetly want to have ownership of the outposts when they go to denied access. It will make roaming and ninja mining more difficult, since the only safe place will be the public outpost, and putting a few combat bots there on off tz would make even that hard to use.

86 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-07-22 19:54:26)

Arga wrote:

I would definetly want to have ownership of the outposts when they go to denied access. It will make roaming and ninja mining more difficult, since the only safe place will be the public outpost, and putting a few combat bots there on off tz would make even that hard to use.

It wont affect anything, you need to be shown how to do things. There's some nice subtle secrets to using beta. Those are more up here in your head, then in the game faqs.

Anyhow the original poster asked about having more nic value for mobs in beta. After having used beta quite well for the past weeks, and will continue to be doing so, I'd say this balance is not needed. It seems to be more of a post to make the rich richer.

That's actually good to hear. Although I would like to see beta populated with Corps able to have some dominion over the land, if it was possible to completely shut down free-lance operations that would be bad.

88 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-23 07:03:01)

Arga wrote:

That really depends on how you are using the word endgame. In a themepark MMO, endgame means your character is at max level, and is doing activites designed for max level characters.

And if you didn't notice, I'm also supporting your arguement.

Endgame = the activity which you will do till the servers are shut down
(or better, the activity all this pro beta-buff guys want us to do wink ).

It's not needed, to have a max trained Agent for it (while it helps to have very good trainings).

And sorry, if I misunderstud your intent.

Mara Kaid wrote:

Anyhow the original poster asked about having more nic value for mobs in beta. After having used beta quite well for the past weeks, and will continue to be doing so, I'd say this balance is not needed. It seems to be more of a post to make the rich richer.

He allready wrote, that he is just bitter his corp left Beta wink

Your trolling is weak Jack.

But yes, outpost-owners being able to lock-out people they don't like from their outpost will serve as a much better reason to own outposts then what we currently have now. Corps locked out of outposts will still be able to utilize Beta, but there won't be any corporation storages, private storages, mining charges and field can charges off the market, no easy place to dock & store bots, etc.

In short it will be sufficiently annoying to non-owner member population that the leadership will end up having to go after an outpost or risk losing the part of their members who actually want to be involved in territory control.

CIR Complaint Form

90 (edited by Gremrod 2011-07-23 18:21:37)

Syndic wrote:

but there won't be any corporation storages, private storages, mining charges and field can charges off the market, no easy place to dock & store bots, etc.

This only stands for the new beta islands since they don't have beta terminals. Old beta islands have beta terminals.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:
Syndic wrote:

but there won't be any corporation storages, private storages, mining charges and field can charges off the market, no easy place to dock & store bots, etc.

This only stands for the new beta islands since they don't have beta terminals. Old beta islands have beta terminals.

Yup that is correct. However, not all mining fields or farming fields are located conveniently in close proximity to Beta Terminals. What "lockouts" will achieve is push non-owners in two ways, either secure access to outposts through political agreements or wage war on the owning corporation to get their outpost.

Failure to do either will - as I wrote before - end up in the members who are interested in territory control leaving for other corporations that cater to their desires.

CIR Complaint Form

92 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-07-23 19:36:54)

People were already mining far outside of stations for quite awhile now, and TOG was a good example of this.

The smart ones will be able to utilize beta without needing all the stations, in which you'll still see the larger groups complaining because instead of numbers they are using their heads. The ones that think less, will just join the masses.

Example:
Large alliance gives one outpost to each member corporation and charges a weekly tax of minerals or NIC to each corporation. In turn any intrusion is protected by at least 50% of the entire alliance and with the new "Multi-loss Outpost Protection" suggested they will simply never lose an outpost.

This could be a balanced system but not as it's currently suggested.

Naturally people can mine, farm and use Beta. That is not the point, since we're not discussing teleport-lockouts.

Without owning the outpost / brokering a political agreement with the resident corporation, they will not have access to L3 facilities and other convenient benefits of owning/using an outpost (storages, tax return, future outpost upgrades Devs announced, etc).

Thats a pretty good incentive for new corps interested in territory control to get involved & own an outpost, it will be a long time before there are more incentives (POS, terraforming, etc).

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

That is not the point, since we're not discussing teleport-lockouts.

Which should be the topic of discussion imo

Monster wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Teleport-lockouts would just lead to Beta islands being turned into safe-zones for a select chosen few. It would be the final death of PVP and is not even worth discussing.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:
Monster wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Teleport-lockouts would just lead to Beta islands being turned into safe-zones for a select chosen few. It would be the final death of PVP and is not even worth discussing.

Has nothing to do with the fact that protecting and surveying Nova would be much more difficult and costly, now would it?

It would promote pvp and increase the enjoyability of the game, period. New players with a substantial EP disadvantage and varying skill levels have NO chance against you right now unless they bring a colossal fleet (And even then the results would probably serve as a battle of alesia reenactment) and that is a contributing factor as to is why pvp is uncommon in the first place.

imo the incentives for living on beta are enough. Epriton is such a huge all encompassing game maker that it it works really well as an incentive.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Monster wrote:

Has nothing to do with the fact that protecting and surveying Nova would be much more difficult and costly, now would it?

It would promote pvp and increase the enjoyability of the game, period. New players with a substantial EP disadvantage and varying skill levels have NO chance against you right now unless they bring a colossal fleet (And even then the results would probably serve as a battle of alesia reenactment) and that is a contributing factor as to is why pvp is uncommon in the first place.

There are two scenarios for teleport lockout:

1. Corp that owns outpost can block others from jumping in. Stupid idea.

2. People can jump regardless of instability/PVP flag. Another idiotic idea. This would do nothing for PVP except promote griefing. PVP does not equate to whack-a-mole on teleports.

CIR Complaint Form

AeonThePiglet wrote:
Arga wrote:

Build _what_ exactly? There's nothing to build out there. The only stuff you can do is zero sum, like mining fields or harvesting plants or stuff. Farming rats is a bit different, but still no one wants to risk getting slaughtered by a neutral on their island while they're pve fit and farming rats.

A community maybe? There's no real advantage to having a bunch of neutrals running about on the island, and plenty of downsides. And while taking weaker alliances into the fold is an option for larger beta holders, there's not much profit in it given the irritation of handling loads of new egos that need to be stroked.

This is true and not true. When Joke held initia we were making around a hundred mil a week from station services. Since we were the primary residents of that outpost we were saving that money but the principle holds - that was one ~15 man high end corp's building.

If you populate an island with 15 man corps, provide a healthy market for them on island of reasonably priced high tech and slightly premium lower end gear and encourage that they mine, build and rat there then you will easily make a lot of NIC. You then use this to fill the market with buy orders for minerals, stuff you need for building and recycling and you basically have your new corps doing the work of your economy for you leaving you to blow *** up.

More importantly you foster a place where small scale corps can enjoy the game and build themselves into players without the rubbish of treaties, politics and station holding. Its also a nice happy hunting ground for your enemies and gives those residents a place to learn the pvp ropes.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."