Topic: Alpha vs Beta balancing?

Currently there is no reason to go to Beta for anything besides;
a) Epriton mining
b) High-tier kernel farming
c) Best refining

All ores are - due to low population - available in abundance on Alpha, nevermind that Titan Ore has to be mined on Alpha regardless. What this results in is nobody actively living on Beta, at best what we have is super-guarded 10-20 lithus trains moving at a random time-frame for a few hours and that doesn't support PVP since the guard-fleet is intrusion-sized.

There is quite simply no reason to live on Beta. Periodic visits, yes. Actively living, no. There are two potential solutions; nerf Alpha so people are pushed out into Beta, or buff Beta so people want to go and live to Beta.

Here's a simple idea on how buffing Beta could work as Step 1 (it will not solve the problem, but it will get on the road):

Increase amount of plasma dropped on Beta.

This will give small corps and solo players a reason to go to a Beta island and try to snag a few NPC's, who knows some PVP might spark up too. Key thing to bear in mind is to increase the plasma amount on spawns that are further away from the teleports so the ninja-farmers have to really be ninja and prepared.

More thoughts welcome, what can be done to get people living on Beta more?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Re: Alpha vs Beta balancing?

Remove 3 alpha islands so resources get over farmed on Alpha

Though I believe it's a tough balance between making beta a good alternative and making it the place you have to be to get good NIC - your proposal of increasing plasma drops seems very good to me (and I'm a complete alpha dweller).

I agree something needs to be done. I wonder what has changed to make this happen. I remember a time when reasons for living on beta was very worthwhile despite the losses. Back then there was no plasma btw but increasing their supply might not be that bad.

What has changed?

Epitron is now an ore it used to be liquid.

More alpha islands with better spawns ores and outpost quality.

Or, have we now realised its easier to base corp on alpha and ninja beta?

About alpha not getting over farmed might be a problem with player base too low more than anything else imho.

RIP PERPETUUM

5 (edited by Celebro 2011-06-18 22:59:29)

Syndic wrote:

More thoughts welcome, what can be done to get people living on Beta more?

Ok right now beta is like low sec in stEVE few people living there simply due to risk versus reward is not balanced enough.

What I think they need to do which can be done quickly is giving more reasons to defend outposts in beta and if you take an outpost only your corp can dock there that will counter the NAPS too.

RIP PERPETUUM

6 (edited by Ember 2011-06-19 09:28:47)

Not enough targets? Probably time to expand the alliance again.

Suggestions:
1. Drop all alliances and NAP's
2. Stop recruiting, promote enemy corps you respect
3. Take chances, fighting CIR is usually lame due to their refusal to engage without overwhelming force.  A happy medium lives in between the dock up and the blob.

There is absolutely no good reason to further devalue nic.  If anything there are not enough nic sinks at the high end.  I agree that the economy (not just the market but the broad based economy) needs more scarcity to drive competition.  The answer needs to be scalable to the player population and phased in slowly to avoid shocking the markets.  ROFL Stomping the market now that it's starting to show some signs of life to compensate for your habit of repeatedly allying half the server is a bad idea.

Finally... I told you so tongue
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/27822/#p27822

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

Ember wrote:

Suggestions:
3. Take chances, fighting CIR is usually lame due to their refusal to engage without overwhelming force.  A happy medium lives in between the dock up and the blob.

There is absolutely no good reason to further devalue nic.  If anything there are not enough nic sinks at the high end.  I agree that the economy (not just the market but the broad based economy) needs more scarcity to drive competition.  The answer needs to be scalable to the player population and phased in slowly to avoid shocking the markets.  ROFL Stomping the market now that it's starting to show some signs of life to compensate for your habit of repeatedly allying half the server is a bad idea.

Can you pull the broom out of your *** for a brief moment and post something that isn't the usual butthurt about CIR?

I am obviously not talking about there not being enough targets, I am talking about the difference between Alpha - Beta, and the lack of reason to actively live on Beta. Please keep corp politics & butthurt in Corporation Dialogues, I'm trying to talk about constructive adjustments to encourage everyone - my corp included - to live on Beta more actively.

So, keep it constructive brosef.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:
Ember wrote:

Suggestions:

Can you pull the broom out of your *** for a brief moment and post something that isn't the usual butthurt about CIR?

I am obviously not talking about there not being enough targets, I am talking about the difference between Alpha - Beta, and the lack of reason to actively live on Beta. Please keep corp politics & butthurt in Corporation Dialogues, I'm trying to talk about constructive adjustments to encourage everyone - my corp included - to live on Beta more actively.

So, keep it constructive brosef.

Word,

No but for sure we needs more things to drive living on bets, not simply ninjaing on to it. As far as what could drive this defaniltiy some of the changes slated for the summer release but something short term would be very nice.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

9 (edited by Saha 2011-06-19 17:54:23)

Welcome to 5-6 months ago problems. Somewhat funny you opened your mouth about it only now. Tell your brosefs to keep standing plated under outpost each time they see M2S waspish. That certainly increases the value of living or even roaming beta island.

I personly would like to see buildable like miner sites....these site could be destroyed but u need a fleet to do it. these sites that maybe look like huge drills constantly mine into a silo and the silo has to be empty out and they out put maybe like umm....2 rivilers worth? only 4 per outpost and it needs plasma to run or somthing like that.....I think that would greatly increase a reason for corps alone to own a out post. just an idea im sure theres tons more that could be added but im not one to type a wall of text.

11 (edited by Syndic 2011-06-19 20:53:24)

Saha wrote:

Welcome to 5-6 months ago problems. Somewhat funny you opened your mouth about it only now. Tell your brosefs to keep standing plated under outpost each time they see M2S waspish. That certainly increases the value of living or even roaming beta island.

5-6 months ago Alpha didn't have bright red deposits you could mine in 1 spot for the whole day. Old Alpha islands were nerfed for a good reason, why are the new Alpha islands so lucrative for 100% safety?

And again, please keep corp politics, butthurt and keyboard mashing with cumcrusted fingers out of here. This is a constructive dialogue topic, trolling --> that way.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

And again, please keep corp politics, butthurt and keyboard mashing with cumcrusted fingers out of here. This is a constructive dialogue topic, trolling --> that way.

Exactly, so kindly stop showing your butthurt all over the place. It's not that hard to do search on your posts and see same 2-3 lines of high horse text in each of them with poor attempts of trolling.
I am just stating the fact that you are requesting buffs to beta and discussing alpha OPness while actually your lead alliance does not promote beta itself, or rather does exactly the opposite. Standing under outposts in plated mechs after seeing one waspish, sending overtanked mk2 artemis to Kentagura to camp Foom who are made up of majority of fresh accounts who had balls to move to beta and make it the most active beta island etc. Hypocrite much? Always start from changing yourself, only then point at other problems.

Op is irrelevant, if you have a issue take to dialogue as you obviously do.

I like Balfs idea or something along those lines. Would add hauling targets and provide a bonus to the corps able to maintain such structures.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Syndic wrote:

5-6 months ago Alpha didn't have bright red deposits you could mine in 1 spot for the whole day. Old Alpha islands were nerfed for a good reason, why are the new Alpha islands so lucrative for 100% safety?

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/2527/tellesis/

i already started a topic about exactly that issue, just two weeks earlier.
The DEVs have finally added roaming npcs to those new island.

almost instantly after patch, Alexander called the placement of a single beta-fit roaming observer spawn on those islands a "fail" decision:

Alexander wrote:

Observers before the change were far too easy to power level research trees HOWEVER adding observers to the new alpha island has been done wrong! They're not alpha observers which is yet another mistake in an ever growing list of errors.

There needs to be a risk/reward balance to keep up - either the new alpha island deposits are going to be nerfed (bad balancing decision), or the risk factor is increased by adding the same threat as a pvp island offers: romaning robots.

already said in other topics several times: the threat to be killed must be the same everywhere, the difference just has to be the between AI and human.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

15 (edited by Ember 2011-06-20 07:47:46)

No troll, though I expected the responses.

First I think we're all agreed in wanting to see more beta activity.  To that end consider BOTH the carrot and the stick.  Reducing the problem to one of basic material/nic incentives is an oversimplification that fails to acknowledge structural problems. Adding MOAR nic to Syndic's list of Epi, kernals, and refining is NOT the silver bullet!

Consider Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It's a game so at the lowest levels assume that every player needs abundant access to the basics necessary to have fun (assault class bot, T1 guns, ammo, insurance money, etc..).  Limiting access to anything a new player might need to build/buy and gear a half decent bot results in a "why bother, I already have a job" mindset for the casual player.

Nerfing alpha island resources, or marginalizing their price/availability through beta based inflation is a mistake, especially at a time when the in game market is showing signs of confidence, liquidity and recovery.  Syndic's signature reads "ECORP, N-A, IRS, JOKE, M2S"... good for lulz, but I can tell you as an insider that IRS was 99% carebear and nothing PvP related could have driven them to collapse, N-A was the same to a lesser degree (80% of their actives literally left to go play minecraft).  What killed those very large player bases was a drastic mineral nerf, suspension of the insurance driving demand and the resulting collapse of the market.  Everyone likes to think of themselves as a hunter but communities are built on the backs of farmers. Be careful and delicate when tinkering with the in game economy, it's not the fix all for your PvP woes!

The second tier of Maslow's hierarchy is security.  Defending a base is a giant pain, hardly worth the effort , I agree.  But I don't agree that you need more rewards, just more security. First the intrusion system needs some reworking, someone at incoming transmission #7 suggested adding a bidding system to move the intrusion clock.  It also serves as a high level nic sink which in turn incentivizes market activity. I like it!

The other half of fostering security and encouraging beta island newcomers involves breaking up power blocs... For many the answer to join or die is D. None of the Above.  Mega-alliances built on politics and propaganda are game breaking, hence my suggestions.

Finally... the devs have been working on a whole EC system that will magnify and add to the benefits of outpost ownership, hopefully without disrupting the entry level economy.  My only hope is that the "outpost-class version of NUXUS modules" provide the added security without overly encouraging more base hugging.

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

Make alphas unsafe, just a zones around teleports and stations, as it was earlier. Raise rewards for misisons spotted in unsafe zones.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Make alphas unsafe, just a zones around teleports and stations, as it was earlier. Raise rewards for misisons spotted in unsafe zones.

unsafe regarding npcs -> yes
unsafe by allowing pvp -> no

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

You have this now, the new alpha's are better as far as NPC and maybe minerals, but they have Mech Observers, and those will kill you 1 on 1.

Well even on vanilla alphas observers have a chance to kill you (depends ofc). New alphas...well...didn't was there yet, so can't really say how dangerous they are. But if you don't want to see them as pvp unsafe, then they should be even more dangerous.

Another thought - what if miner npcs will actually mine? You know, they spawns near mining spot, come there (with some defence ofc), mine for some time and then leave. So you'll need to have a fighters with you or wait until mining spots are safe. Also it can create additional resource sink that can help economics (prices lesser than 2 nic on almost any resource looks a little...frustrating)

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Syndic wrote:

Currently there is no reason to go to Beta for anything besides;
a) Epriton mining
b) High-tier kernel farming
c) Best refining

And soon Outposts will be 'ownable.

But, you don't give a reason why a,b and c are not suffcient reasons to live on beta, you simply marginalize them and move on. I suspect this is because you are already on Beta and have been enjoying these benefits for so long that they no longer hold any value to you.

I disagree though.

Access to an outpost to store and move Epitron as needed grants a tremendous advantage over ninja miners. Epitron is 'fluffy' and getting 320,000 units out in a sequar requires some significant effort; current market value @14NIC = 4.48M. As a resident of the Island, you can watch your TP's and give your miners time to get off the fields, and transport continually. This allows you to get basically all the Epitron you need for internal production, which you devalue since you aren't paying for it. Look at your produciton usage and your current inventory of Epitron, and multiply that x 14. In conjunction with that, is the better refining, which you also marginalized; that further reduces your production costs.

Corps on Alpha, like 62nd do not mass produce Mechs and Hmechs simply because of the cost of Epitron/Alligor. That is the advantage to living on Beta currently, which is significant... unless you are not needing to replace Mechs, then it will again seem like nothing.

Foom, which has just arrived on Beta, is probably very happy with the new Income source and the abilitly to start producing H/mechs with just 'time' instead of 80% of the cost being Epitron.

Beta corps that are mining Alpha are WASTING THEIR TIME. You have to transport that ore from Alpha to beta anyway, so you would be better off mining Epitron and growing Norgalis, refining it, and selling it on the market or setting up relations with Alpha mining corps to supply you in exchange; Alligor is easy to transport and you can sell/trade it for all other minerals that you waste time mining on alpha now. Heck, if you work WITH alpha corps instead of looking down your nose at them, you could probably convince them to deliver it to beta too; with about 1/3 of the protection you need to move 15 Lithus's.

CIR has spoken before about wanting to be Independant, if that's the way they want to play it's OK with me, but don't try to change the game to support that model.

Beta corps working WITH alpha corps = Win Win

Balance doesn't mean give one side everything.

Arga you forgot your TL;DR

Arga wrote:

TL;DR
CIR has spoken before about wanting to be Independant, if that's the way they want to play it's OK with me, but don't try to change the game to support that model.

Beta corps working WITH alpha corps = Win Win

Balance doesn't mean give one side everything.

There fixed it for you. BTW QFT
I don't always like your posts Arga but you hammered this one head on... Small Alpha corps would probably bend over backwards to help Beta corps if it was a 2 way street.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Arga wrote:

Beta corps working WITH alpha corps = Win Win.

If all resource spot will be occupied with alpha corp miners, then your theory will work. I like Arga idea, what partially means next: each corporation should encapsulate their own role, to achieve goals: alpha corps should mine alpha resources and do more PvE, while beta corps should mine epriton, doing more PvP. But unfortunately atm game population dont allows it: there is no alpha corp what can supply well developed beta corp with minerals. Reasons is simple: this game too young, and each corporation, what can field out 5 riv's, in 2-3 weeks can step into the beta because beta islands is tasty and empty. And they do it. So best miners now not working for the market, they will work for themselves and their corps.
Situation will change when new wave of player will arrives: beta will be filled by old players, new players will mine on alpha, market will be filled by minerals and modules, NICs will be more valuable. Then the most interesting thing will happens: cruel fights for epriton spots, some old corporations will fall, some new corporation will risen, fight will be more awesome.
But this will works only if more players will play this game. ATM we made so much theorycrafting, what works only in context of server with 300 accounts online.

Ember wrote:

3. Take chances, fighting CIR is usually lame due to their refusal to engage without overwhelming force.

Welcome to our world 62nd. We in m2s have had to deal with cat-and-mouse, 2-on-1, outpost fighting since November.

It's best not to engage that lone tanked Artemis (especially if it's an Mk2) since there will most certainly be a sh*t-storm of mechs unleashed on your head if you do flag up.

Try to catch them while they are roaming themselves (yes, I know that's hard to predict), that's when you will get the best fights.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

24 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-06-20 21:46:04)

Like usual when you disagree it's for some "bad" reason.

Beta is fairly well balanced, the decoder drops, tech drops from the good spawns there are fairly good, and the kernels 4th star plus are well worth it. We farm beta consistently and get some nice tech and gear there, while not living under the roof of a target outpost.

Let's repost some highlights here that accurately summarize points/counterpoints:

Suggestions:

don't devalue nic

Beta corps that are mining Alpha are WASTING THEIR TIME. You have to transport that ore from Alpha to beta anyway, so you would be better off mining Epitron and growing Norgalis, refining it, and selling it

I am just stating the fact that you are requesting buffs to beta and discussing alpha OPness while actually your lead alliance does not promote beta itself, or rather does exactly the opposite.

The last poster really hits it. Given I roam your lands, I'd say you're using your land far less then norhoop does, yet still asking for more. I can't believe you'd ask this with the way noralgis grows on beta. You should have a solid line of t2 mechs up on the market which would give you further money.

I'm quite sorry but you took the land, you wanted it, others are using beta land a lot more then you are, so start using it. Get ready to loose some bots.

@ Arga

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what you're saying. Yes, I view Beta-access as granted because my corp has been fighting & holding land on Beta since we came in-game and joined Vindictive alliance.

But you need to on the other hand, understand the point where I'm coming from; CIR has spent the better part of the last 6 months tweaking and fine-tuning every point of our internal corp industry in order to match up to M2S. Now, we know what happened with that so no need to go there; but what I'm saying is that because of this, our industrial production quite easily outputs in 48 hours what most other corps output in 2-3 weeks.

I've tried it all, believe me. I've personally gone to every Alpha-corp I could get my hands on, offered them a carte-blanche guarantee that we'd buy everything they could mine up. We did, and all of those Alpha corps couldn't mine up enough to cover a quarter of our production at the time.

Therefore, it is infinitely easier for us to mine it up ourselves with 5-10 guys doing it in shifts with 20-30 accounts mining, have the simpler commodities refined on Alpha & hauled into production and/or moved into local production of non-essentials. The market, and all Alpha corps, quite simply do not possess the mining capacity to supply our production with Alpha-ores.

For example, after the assault-patch we separated an inactive factory account that is maxxed out, mined up the resources and set 30 lines burning. Today we have DEVs posting how assaults will be made less uber - that still means we're going to end up having to rip out the CT's or burn them out. 300 assaults from 30 lines, in a few days. Where are the Alpha corps that can supply me with the resources for that, nevermind the materials to produce fittings for those bots?

It probably is a waste of time to mine on Alpha, but again you need to understand - we have been sitting every day, 8-12 hours, on Novastrov mining with anywhere between 15-30 rivelers in full T4 fits & T4 Nexus support for a long time. There just AREN'T that many ore fields left that are rich enough to warrant exploiting them on an industrial level. Nobody is roaming us since M2S got wiped, and nobody roamed us except M2S before they got wiped.

@ Mongolia Jones

I'd actually pay more attention to what you posted if you "elite PVPers" didn't completely stop roaming of any kind since the "incident". It's refreshing to see what a little bit of honest mining will do to develop respect for the T4 you scoffed at and threw away like candy before.

@ Mara Kaid

Since ECORP died, you've been living in some parallel universe that only exists on the forums and in general chat. You - and everybody else in your corp, regardless of what you spout on the forums - know full well that for the ~10 hours we're online, you're not even attempting to roam our island. You roamed us on Domhalarn for a full 10 days, which was so "successful" that your EU pilots quit the game/swapped to playing at 5-6 AM.

What is even harder to believe, is that after being forced to kowtow to FOOM and AET and pretending youre going to "help them get established" when they brought those 30-40 to fight your laughable 8 elite pirates for Laosura; youre still persisting in keeping up this charade where you are some sort of uber-ninja pirate who kills so many people nobody can dare to move 500m from the outpost on Beta.

Its past time you woke up and faced reality.

@ On Topic

I still dont see a reason to use Beta for mining non-Epriton materials, the risk vs reward - theorycrafting-wise - is so off-balanced that its more sensible to mine them on Alpha.

CIR Complaint Form