1 (edited by Reanigael 2011-06-05 19:12:56)

Topic: Newbie advice and suggestions requested...

big_smile

Hi all,

I subscribed day-before and yesterday after a couple of days with trial, hooray!  It was mostly because of the community.  I wanted to run my initial plan and thoughts by folk here and see if it can get 'fixed up' any, and what my next steps should be?

I got 2 accounts, because 2 is better than 1.  Honestly, I found this game runs very well in 2 windows on 1 pc.  So I've tried to plan for that.  I'm a DAoC player, of too many years, with a focus in healing and debuffing/shearing.  Also with a couple in LotRO.  I enjoy pvp and dislike farming, unless it is a really hands-free kind of farming then I can just bear it.

I realize I will need lots of coin to support myself, and so I'll have a combat and industrial account.

Is it wise/acceptable to plan to make one account an industrial miner and then, given a long haul, remote repair as well - on the same character? 
Is it realistic this can give me a support healing character, and a money maker?  Or is that too ambitious?  My focus would be remote repair, but this character would have to pay for both accounts needs so probably the remote repair would come after the mining.

On the other account, I planned to make a military character who is also a half-ass miner & hauler.  But the focus would be on energy manipulation and so hence a military character.

Does this seem realistic?

So far, I have been using an Argano to mine Imentium near the ICS base.  And then a Sequer on the other account, to mine with 1 laser poorly, and store up what we find after handing it over with a container...

I dont know why there is this container function and we cant just hand it to each other, but the nice thing is there is no trade offer/accept clicking.  But its frustrating that I cant move it (can I?) and have to stop mining to go over and put stuff in it.

Is there something better I can mine, or better locations for Imentium?

I heard there was good stuff in beta-lands... and I thought well what if I just got a cheap robot, once I had the savings, and explored during off hours to find a NOT-great deposit that probably won't be on any miner-hunters rounds, and then during off hours move my Argano and Sequer there... except I can't afford to lose them yet so that will have to wait.

Or should I stick to safe lands and go for a big-shot robot that can do medium lasers and have pinwheels and sparklers?

So far, all my skills are in navigation and robot/industrial robot control, on both accounts.  I don't plan on going much deeper with the hauler, but a lot deeper with the remote repairer.

I made the industrial character ICS And almost all blues.  The military character is Asintec (Because that first bug is cute!) and almost all red/orange and I think a bit of blue.

Re: Newbie advice and suggestions requested...

There are 2 basic ways to play Perpetuum; Solo or Corporate.

If your intrest is primarily in PVP, your best option is to join a corporation. Dual account players are highly desirable, as you provide can both combat and industrial support. The corp play style will allow you to get right into PVP and provide you friends to heal and a steady supply of robots.

If team play isn't your game, then the solo game is the way to go. I have to warn you though, this route is much harder then corp mode and even more of a struggle to do it primarly for PVP. There is a certain sense of satisfaction by being independant, and your not locked into either play mode if you choose to go Corp first, or vice versa.

Either way, wish you the best. cheers!

Miners can easily be be supporters, both require a Termis with decent Acc skills, just fit Energy transfer/remote sensor/remote repair modules instead of miners

Containers can be used from 100m away, if you put it in the right place it works well.

Asintec works well for PvE, especially when supported by a second char doing Energy Transfer, not good for PvP though.

Hi there ,)
To your military account; i would restrict all non fighting extensions to those u strictlly need to be efficient as backup for your miner. Sometimes even cheaper to just create alter with some starting extensions and more related atributes (hence more cheap extensions). The combat characters seem to be the more specialization-demanding ones imo.
For your indus- miner; no sure how much EP need to be a uber repairer but mining at least dont take much EP if u stick to lvl 5 in relevant extensions; industry on the other hand takes loads of EP and mats so might be a bit harder. The mining bot by excelence its the Termis, much more productive than Argano but quite a pain in the *** to fit and make acc stable; so its quite interesting to jump to mech industrial robots asap.
Mineral yields seem to be much higher in the new 3 alpha islands, but might be too soon 4 u to move there as no assignements will be avaliable 4 u there yet.
I roll Asintec too, little behind in some aspects but we will get some Love one day.
Finally miner/repair & fighter/hauling pretty good combination. see u ))

Solo, there's not much use for high skills in remote anything; just the basic extensions needed to equip the modules. Parking your indy alt nearby and using it as a remote supply depot, for extra ammo, repair and acc top-off is do-able. Actively playing 2 accounts in PVE combat is something that would require some significant macroing and the risk of losing 1 or 2 of those bots isn't worth the farming rewards.

Unless you are rolling around with a seriously tanky lithus or such for your indy alt, actively dual boxing in PVE is difficult at best because the moment your indy alt gets demobbed, he dies. Not to mention actually tanking with remote modules is kinda hard sad

Haven't PVPd yet so no comment there tongue