1 (edited by Gremrod 2011-06-03 03:01:51)

Topic: Territory warfare brianstorms (Something to fight for.....)

Ok so lets talk about the main thing that has been on so many threads.

Something to fight for or why should we fight. For some it is simple as being in a mech and just wanting to shoot another mech.

So lets brianstorm about the following. Please add to the key elements if they make sense.

• What?

• Why?

So my idea is to have a pool of energy that supplies power for the POS (or call them what you want) on the beta islands or the new delta/gamma or whatever they call them when they bring territory warfare into the game.

So the idea is simple. The Player built strutures rely on energy from the island. Each island has a specific pool of enegry it can supply and can only support a specific amount of POS and their upgrades.

Lets say an island has a pool of XXX amount of energy and it has been supporting three POS owned by the same corp or three different corps.

This island has a bouns to something specific that another corp whats to get in on. (What?)

They come and build a POS of their own, but their POS puts a drain on the energy pool and causing specific upgrades in the existing POS to go offline or work a less efficient.

This could give a reason to want to push this corp out so your POS gets back to normal functions and continues doing it job. (Why?)

Basic and simple at this point.

Please join in with ideas of your own.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Re: Territory warfare brianstorms (Something to fight for.....)

Each Island only supports 1 type of POS, so if you want to set up a mining POS you have to use X island, but if you want a harvesting POS you have to use Y island; for example. This in adidtion to, as you say, the island only  supports a limited number of pos's.

But, the power situation should be more, 1 unit gets 100% of the power and operates at 100%, a second unit is added, each operates at 50%, providing only 50% of the bonus, and so on, down to 100 units each at 1% effciency.

So, as the island owner, you're going to only install one, and be very picky about making sure a second one isn't implemented, be friend or foe. But if you share the island, and already have 3 or 4 units, you won't mind so much if a 5th one is installed.

Also, as I mentioned before with POS, they either have to be cheap and replacable like incubator, or difficult to kill. One idea I had was that they can be shielded, which makes them very difficult to destroy, but they can't operate with the sheild up, meaning when you are using the POS you have to guard it.

The power drain is the same, regardless of it is operating or not.

The only trouble I see with this, is it's not a very great motivator, since it just provides more of the same, which is more minerals. If you already don't need them, your not going to be keen to have this.

I almost hate to mention it, but it could be that epi is only minable with a POS on any island that has a POS installed. So if you own the epi POS, only you can mine epi on the island; if you destroy the POS, you can mine and you get a lot of epi from the wreakage.

3 (edited by Gremrod 2011-06-03 03:26:59)

Let me clear soemthing up. POS to me in this game would be a player built outpost. Not just a temp structure that does a single function.

Not saying that cheap POS (towers) don't have a place, but just want to be a bit clearing on what I mean. So for now on I will say Player built outpost (PBO).

But keep building on the idea. smile

I posted this in agra's thread before I read this one, and in the sake of consolidation, I will repost it here:

See, this is what I have a problem with, and you just spew more m2s propaganda. There's something for being very coordinated, and having all the right keys to give you that edge. But that isn't nor should it be the entire game. This is where I have to say again, that's m2s's game. That's the way they want to play it. I don't agree with that, and there's plenty of other people who agree with me.

The more hardcore this game becomes, the less number of people will join. We don't need anymore incentive to fight then to fight. That's what a sandbox is in my opinion. The players decide who and where and, more importantly, WHY they want to fight. Personally, when I played that other sci-fi mmo, most of my time was spent shooting POS's, and it was horribly boring. The other half was looking at a black screen hoping I'd load the grid and not just wake up in station 150m the poorer.

The game needs to support other styles of play better. I don't pretend to have all the awnsers on HOW to make that happen, but some guys play this for the potential they see. They play because they want to hang out with other people that they think alike with. Some people want to log in and mine a few hundred U's of ore while shooting the *** on TS. Others log in to roam around and find fights.

Lets face it, stuff is easier to get then it used to be, but there's still a terribly lot of time spent moving about. That's not nessicarily a bad thing, as some people enjoy moving things about. Everyone has said the game needs more people. I don't know either how to get more people to join and stay, but the game needs to be opened up on the alpha islands more first. More and better pve. Remove ew from non-ew npcs, as it's just annoying. Make it to where a single person can log on, mine the things they need for themselves, or pve enough to be able to buy the things on the market, and make it a bit easier for them.

PvE is a new players initiation to the game. Many new players want to take their time and feel the game out before they decide to join a corp. Perpetuum makes it very hard on new people with low ep to play past 2 weeks/a month before they get bored of the pve. Some decide to quit, some decide to join a corp. If Perpetuum were to keep the ones that didn't want to join a corp within the first month, I would think the player boost would be fairly large.

And while we're at it, lets do away with interference. m2s has made a huge amount of stink about limiting how many people can join an op. I also don't agree with that. The only limit on how many people you should be able to bring to a fight should be server limitations... i.e "if more of them get into the fight, it's gonna crash and take all the gerbils out!!"

Look at the old Q&A from Beta. m2s asks, what are you going to do to combat "the blob", and the DEVs bend over backward to assure m2s that they're going to keep combat small. I can't say that I really blame the DEVs, m2s was a dominate force in the game for 2 years now. I hope to educate the devs on what I belive to be their folly, and ask them to review what it is they really want out of Perpetuum, or do they just want to keep making a game for m2s.

Reset each other yet?

5 (edited by Gremrod 2011-06-03 03:59:45)

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

I posted this in agra's thread before I read this one, and in the sake of consolidation, I will repost it here:

See, this is what I have a problem with, and you just spew more m2s propaganda. There's something for being very coordinated, and having all the right keys to give you that edge. But that isn't nor should it be the entire game. This is where I have to say again, that's m2s's game. That's the way they want to play it. I don't agree with that, and there's plenty of other people who agree with me.

The more hardcore this game becomes, the less number of people will join. We don't need anymore incentive to fight then to fight. That's what a sandbox is in my opinion. The players decide who and where and, more importantly, WHY they want to fight. Personally, when I played that other sci-fi mmo, most of my time was spent shooting POS's, and it was horribly boring. The other half was looking at a black screen hoping I'd load the grid and not just wake up in station 150m the poorer.

The game needs to support other styles of play better. I don't pretend to have all the awnsers on HOW to make that happen, but some guys play this for the potential they see. They play because they want to hang out with other people that they think alike with. Some people want to log in and mine a few hundred U's of ore while shooting the *** on TS. Others log in to roam around and find fights.

Lets face it, stuff is easier to get then it used to be, but there's still a terribly lot of time spent moving about. That's not nessicarily a bad thing, as some people enjoy moving things about. Everyone has said the game needs more people. I don't know either how to get more people to join and stay, but the game needs to be opened up on the alpha islands more first. More and better pve. Remove ew from non-ew npcs, as it's just annoying. Make it to where a single person can log on, mine the things they need for themselves, or pve enough to be able to buy the things on the market, and make it a bit easier for them.

PvE is a new players initiation to the game. Many new players want to take their time and feel the game out before they decide to join a corp. Perpetuum makes it very hard on new people with low ep to play past 2 weeks/a month before they get bored of the pve. Some decide to quit, some decide to join a corp. If Perpetuum were to keep the ones that didn't want to join a corp within the first month, I would think the player boost would be fairly large.

And while we're at it, lets do away with interference. m2s has made a huge amount of stink about limiting how many people can join an op. I also don't agree with that. The only limit on how many people you should be able to bring to a fight should be server limitations... i.e "if more of them get into the fight, it's gonna crash and take all the gerbils out!!"

Look at the old Q&A from Beta. m2s asks, what are you going to do to combat "the blob", and the DEVs bend over backward to assure m2s that they're going to keep combat small. I can't say that I really blame the DEVs, m2s was a dominate force in the game for 2 years now. I hope to educate the devs on what I belive to be their folly, and ask them to review what it is they really want out of Perpetuum, or do they just want to keep making a game for m2s.

While I agree that there is more needed to be done for pve and alpha islands.

I fail to see how brainstorming for territory warfare is m2s propagada.

I also fail to to see how this would be the entire game.

So your word is pve and alpha islands need more love before beta gets any more?

Am I correct?

Also, please don't cross post. If it has already been posted else where no reason to spam threads with your posts.

Here's the link to the Q&A for you lazy forum dwellers, it's a good read. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -20101114/

Sorry Gremrod, that's was in response to what agra posted in the other thread... maybe I should have edited it.

But, to awnser your question... Yes, I do think so. We may lose more vets over it, and I would bet the lions share would be from m2s. But, on the same token, we'd get fresh new players joining the game, and staying with the game. Some people like FOOM who want to make a splash in their own right. Right now we have 6 empty beta islands, and 6 slightly less empty alpha islands. If there were 10x's the numbers on alpha, I'd expect to have many of them spilling off into the betas... which creates whole new dynamics and interactions. All without the devs holding a proverbial carrot on a stick to get people to go (which may not be a carrot at all, but a huge turd to some people).

Reset each other yet?

I agree that fresh new players are needed very much.

I don't think vets would leave because of some dev focus on alphas for a few patches.

But I would rather see you make a topic about your ideas on how alpha needs some more development rather than derailing the topic I started here.

I'm not derailing. You asked for ideas, and your statement is that we NEED something to fight for. As I don't agree, I think that my post was entirely relevant to the discussion. I'm sorry that it's not what you wanted to hear but as I'm not convinced that your idea is something that would benefit the game, I felt the need to open up the possibility that it isn't.

Reset each other yet?

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

I'm not derailing. You asked for ideas, and your statement is that we NEED something to fight for. As I don't agree, I think that my post was entirely relevant to the discussion. I'm sorry that it's not what you wanted to hear but as I'm not convinced that your idea is something that would benefit the game, I felt the need to open up the possibility that it isn't.

I was refering to your first post mainly. But sure than your idea is... That there is no reason for this type of mechanic.

Noted.

That's just 2 threads i didn't read it in than, but as i've always been a huge proponent of PVS content, i don't disagree with the game needing more, however I do think the issue of getting something onto the beta islands is needed sooner then more missions.

Free-roam PVP, as far as I can tell isn't enough. Although as I said, I'm skeptical that POS is going to do it either, even outposts. The trouble being it seems like it has to provide some additional benefit to be desireable, which currently means that any corp capable of gaining this advantage, will do so, and futher their lead in the game. Making it even harder to 'topple the king'.

About the only thing I can think of, are gamma Islands; three islands only reachable from a remote beta-II teleport, where player stations can be built, that have only epitron on them. These islands aren't won through intrusion, you have to build your POS on it, and then defend it, but it's not a destructable POS, if you destroy 8 CPU panels around the complex, then you can dock and install your own CPU's, then the station and its defenses are yours. once destroyed, you can't replace a CPU until they are all destroyed.

Arga wrote:

That's just 2 threads i didn't read it in than, but as i've always been a huge proponent of PVS content, i don't disagree with the game needing more, however I do think the issue of getting something onto the beta islands is needed sooner then more missions.

Free-roam PVP, as far as I can tell isn't enough. Although as I said, I'm skeptical that POS is going to do it either, even outposts. The trouble being it seems like it has to provide some additional benefit to be desireable, which currently means that any corp capable of gaining this advantage, will do so, and futher their lead in the game. Making it even harder to 'topple the king'.

About the only thing I can think of, are gamma Islands; three islands only reachable from a remote beta-II teleport, where player stations can be built, that have only epitron on them. These islands aren't won through intrusion, you have to build your POS on it, and then defend it, but it's not a destructable POS, if you destroy 8 CPU panels around the complex, then you can dock and install your own CPU's, then the station and its defenses are yours. once destroyed, you can't replace a CPU until they are all destroyed.

I agree with the middle section of your post there. The idea for gamma islands is fine and all, but IMO we should be looking at getting more people in the game FIRST. Lets make alpha islands more intresting, it'll suprise you how many issues this will solve if the player base was larger and player retention was higher.

I'm pretty sure the devs have this in mind. Their blog post about the expansion alluded to this somewhat, and if the message from the natives post is genuine (not sayin it isn't...) then we have more to look forward to in that regard.

I think we need to dredge up your old post about being the pioneers arga. Remind people that this is still a work in progress, and that the potential is there for this game to be amazing.

Reset each other yet?

SmokeyIndustries wrote:
Arga wrote:

I agree with the middle section of your post there. The idea for gamma islands is fine and all, but IMO we should be looking at getting more people in the game FIRST. Lets make alpha islands more intresting, it'll suprise you how many issues this will solve if the player base was larger and player retention was higher.

I'm pretty sure the devs have this in mind. Their blog post about the expansion alluded to this somewhat, and if the message from the natives post is genuine (not sayin it isn't...) then we have more to look forward to in that regard.

I think we need to dredge up your old post about being the pioneers arga. Remind people that this is still a work in progress, and that the potential is there for this game to be amazing.

When new players realize theres no end game... wouldn't that make them leave?

POS's are that end game and they are the answer to the industrialists need to build something big and shiney and the pvp'ers will have something to fight over.

13 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-06-03 14:13:22)

I think some sort of POS' would get people on Beta's if they had a function. If they did something for you that you can't do on alpha. Maybe they mine for you? Maybe they offer you better refine rates? Quicker factories? Who knows. Something though, that you can't get elsewhere.

How will that open up PvP? Simple, allow them to be put offline by enemies. If your enemies dont like you, they can go suppress your structures by attacking them ANYTIME they want. No silly intrustions or schedules, ANYTIME. This will open up PvP in my mind because the element of surprise will be there. You can cause trouble when it's convenient for your corp. You'll have to watch your own structures as well. It will make holding Beta grounds more interactive. You could even add some sort of bonus' for offlining someones structures. What that could be is debatable.

Either way, it would give everyone something to do. You'd have incentive to be on beta. You'd have incentive to roam and fight other POS' and defenders. You'd have incentive to guard and you'd have incentive of successfully offlining other players structures.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Disagree completely.

The game needs more PVE features, more fluff features that will give players something to do on their own and in their own time. At the moment the choice is grind plazma, grind ore, or look for artifacts. Thats a very poor choice - and its already showing that its not keeping people in-game. What numbers came back after the expansion, have mostly left again.

POS only caters to the existing players who are involved in the game. Lets face it, to a new player Perpetuum is just plain BORING.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Disagree completely.

The game needs more PVE features, more fluff features that will give players something to do on their own and in their own time. At the moment the choice is grind plazma, grind ore, or look for artifacts. Thats a very poor choice - and its already showing that its not keeping people in-game. What numbers came back after the expansion, have mostly left again.

POS only caters to the existing players who are involved in the game. Lets face it, to a new player Perpetuum is just plain BORING.

While PvE will help, it won't keep around long term players. If there's lots of corps interacting and there's heaps of combat and news of such, wars, territorial skirmishs', that's the sort of thing the newb is going to read up on and think ; 'Damn, I want to be a part of that.' It will keep them in game and give them a common goal to push for, reach end game and make a difference.

Right now though, end game is not like a plateau you reach and wallow on in all it's glory, it's a cliff. One that a lot of players have already fallen off, never to return.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Syndic wrote:

Disagree completely.

Whats the point of doing all that stuff if there's nothing for them to build towards? Theirs got to be a light at the end of a tunnel... no matter what 'fluff' you add it's going to be considered a 'grind' but we need to answer is the 'what am i grinding for' question.

Heavies are relatively easily attainable and after that there's nothing new and shiney to build or own.

Grim Faust wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Disagree completely.

While PvE will help, it won't keep around long term players. If there's lots of corps interacting and there's heaps of combat and news of such, wars, territorial skirmishs', that's the sort of thing the newb is going to read up on and think ; 'Damn, I want to be a part of that.' It will keep them in game and give them a common goal to push for, reach end game and make a difference.

Right now though, end game is not like a plateau you reach and wallow on in all it's glory, it's a cliff. One that a lot of players have already fallen off, never to return.

Well put Grim, and I agree. One big reason i finally made the late push into EvE was from all the kick *** stories of cool *** people did that I read on massively.

18 (edited by DaOpa 2011-06-03 14:56:11)

Greetings all,

My ideas ....

Remove all the Intrusion stuff thats is currently happening on the NPC Outposts, no more owning NPC Outposts.

Add in player build structures;

Which include but are not limited to the following ideas -

Outposts - Having all L3 options

Shield Generators - Protection of the outpost & buildings | Oh yah the bubbles are here

Defense Towers, Offensive Towers, Interference Towers

Signal Detector Towers, Signal Masking Towers

Solar Energy Collectors, other types of energy collectors 

Mining Collector Units - IE Placeables on mining grids

Factory Buildings - more automation options

Storage Buildings

--------
Also Terra Forming options, Ive seen this stuff during the End Of beta Event - This can be the Minecraft option for PO ...

All this stuff .. on brand new islands that are somewhat connected to the other ones  -

And to bring in the new & other players who maybe not want to do this sort of stuff

Convert the PLASMA Drops from NPCs as Fuel to power the buildings.

Regards

Maybe im missing something here... We already have large battles. m2s got ~50 heavy mechs blown up recently right? There's plenty of fighting -- when there's people to fight. There was plenty of roaming for the same benefit, or even less really back in the early days. There were even more intrusions then too, i think. Imagine our current dynamic with 1000 more people to join in on the fun. Lets make the game a little more enjoyable for the general public, and gobs of them will stay.

Besides, this will help in more areas then pvp. You'll have more people mining, more people making things, more people farming stuff... the market will get a huge boost from people actually using it. All great things for the game, and which is what people have been saying "we need more people." In order to do that sometiems you have to cater to the lowest denomination.

Reset each other yet?

PVP has no benefit because outposts are crap.
Intrusions are not needed any more I have to agree.
PVE content is lacking hugely still.
PVP content is there but there isn't any reason to use it.

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

Maybe im missing something here... We already have large battles. m2s got ~50 heavy mechs blown up recently right? There's plenty of fighting -- when there's people to fight. There was plenty of roaming for the same benefit, or even less really back in the early days. There were even more intrusions then too, i think. Imagine our current dynamic with 1000 more people to join in on the fun. Lets make the game a little more enjoyable for the general public, and gobs of them will stay.

Besides, this will help in more areas then pvp. You'll have more people mining, more people making things, more people farming stuff... the market will get a huge boost from people actually using it. All great things for the game, and which is what people have been saying "we need more people." In order to do that sometiems you have to cater to the lowest denomination.

agree but the biggest problem is, at the current state of the game, you everyone decided to drop the NAP, would you see that many big fights let along 50 m2s heavies dieing etc...probably not.

Make pos's provide energy to exchange for kernels.
By getting kernels faster newer corps get their tech lines finished.
Make pos's provide more noralgis = more mark 2 robots.

EVE did moons, and that really turned out to be who got the right top 3 mineral moons was the richest.

As a side note, not to derail:
More fun stuff on alpha so we attract more players is a good idea, give players more to do and have fun with so that we get a healthy pool of people to pull from.

Lets face some of the key features of the game from a single player perspective:

1. total loss of your equip upon destruction

this means, pvp is always including the possibility that you lose everything you got.
rebuilding that stuff will take time and long boring activities + specialized equipment and skills that is different from your pvp-stuff.

2. player driven market

i'm totally missing the mid section. most stuff is either t1 or t4 or nothing at all. The top Player corporations keeping the stuff for themself, as it could weaken their position.
combine this with #1 and you got overly expensive equip that you need to compete, but also needs hours of grinding just to aquire - and then its just a matter of seconds to lose it in a pvp battle.

3. every bot has its use in a battle

that may be true, but to have that use, you need the advantage of numbers or top tier equipment.
Then, on the other hand, those who always say "everyone can participate in pvp" also complain about how they always have to force higher number of enemies or noone.
Its not an endless circle -> I wonder if M2S can actually win an intrusion without multiboxing, constant reading/listening to oponents communications and ***.

4. intrusions

IMHO the Events should not be "one after another", but always three at once on three different islands. always having own outpost open at the same time you want to attack/capture someone elses OP would break up the number of contestants, and opening tactical possibilies to attack for others.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Lets face some of the key features of the game from a single player perspective:

1. total loss of your equip upon destruction

this means, pvp is always including the possibility that you lose everything you got.
rebuilding that stuff will take time and long boring activities + specialized equipment and skills that is different from your pvp-stuff.

2. player driven market

i'm totally missing the mid section. most stuff is either t1 or t4 or nothing at all. The top Player corporations keeping the stuff for themself, as it could weaken their position.
combine this with #1 and you got overly expensive equip that you need to compete, but also needs hours of grinding just to aquire - and then its just a matter of seconds to lose it in a pvp battle.

3. every bot has its use in a battle

that may be true, but to have that use, you need the advantage of numbers or top tier equipment.
Then, on the other hand, those who always say "everyone can participate in pvp" also complain about how they always have to force higher number of enemies or noone.
Its not an endless circle -> I wonder if M2S can actually win an intrusion without multiboxing, constant reading/listening to oponents communications and ***.

4. intrusions

IMHO the Events should not be "one after another", but always three at once on three different islands. always having own outpost open at the same time you want to attack/capture someone elses OP would break up the number of contestants, and opening tactical possibilies to attack for others.

Another potentially insightful and well thought out post tainted with sour grapes and tin foil hats.

i think in the end really what we need is some grand goal corporations can try to achieve, i like the posts here, i hope the devs are reading. A corporation trying to build an outpost and defend while building one would be epic in itself, that would give anyone a reason to push hard etc etc.