Topic: Assault changes

Change: Lowered the signal detection parameter of combat assaults robots to 80rF.
Change: Increased the signal masking parameter of combat assaults robots to 200rF.
Change: Combat assault robots gain +1 additional headslot.
Change: Increased the base CPU performance of combat assault robots.

I've been using the Baph MK II for the last couple of weeks, so have some exp already with the additional head slot. The addition of the CPU is the key here, as it was possible to fit a sensor amp and 2 tuners but not a missle launcher and armor hardeners.

Will the signal masking help make these more useable in PVP?

2 (edited by Aphilas 2011-05-31 19:34:42)

Re: Assault changes

It's several very good changes which will help out smaller roaming gangs. Assaults with maskers can be used quite funnily and effectively. The speed is still a bit lacking though. Finally a bit of use for for old corps from new players as well.

It's awesome, we've already started killing people with them. Go go light bots.

They still need to be faster than Mechs without nerfing Mechs.

5 (edited by Arga 2011-05-31 19:53:12)

what if they are fitted with the new l-demob in that new slot? That will slow the mech down so they can catch it, and with the stealth, able to get closer before being spotted.

Edit: Still not talking about 1-1, but with a group of assualts, they could be effective against a roaming gang, and a weap stab in the legs would make them effective against both ewar and mechs in the roaming group.

6 (edited by Aphilas 2011-05-31 19:58:44)

Arga wrote:

what if they are fitted with the new l-demob in that new slot? That will slow the mech down so they can catch it, and with the stealth, able to get closer before being spotted.

1. l-demob needs severe nerf or removal from the game. Whoever came up with its idea is.... well yeah, GG rendering lwf and s-demob useless. Way to go.
2. Roaming is about speed. You roam slower, you are less effective. Roams is all about finding weak targets and avoiding counters. Without speed you can't do the latter.
3. Ninja demob assaults with masker can be quite lol, yes.

The game is highly dependant on speed, that's true, which is probably why they added the demob. So they can allow you to be faster for getting to pvp and still chose your fights, but have less of an advantage once you've engaged.

the tactic will be to have long-range demob zeniths with signal detector and probably target painter to pin down mechs and heavy mechs, then the assaults can close in under stealth and kill it.

it may sound crazy, but the waspish is probably the best assault for that with its long attack range and enough accu-recharge to run the masking without additional slowing accumulator in legslot.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

9 (edited by Aphilas 2011-05-31 20:15:01)

Arga wrote:

The game is highly dependant on speed, that's true, which is probably why they added the demob. So they can allow you to be faster for getting to pvp and still chose your fights, but have less of an advantage once you've engaged.

Yes, because 1.3 kilometer demob is surely not game breaking. Whoever brings more long range zeniths wins. Because ololol I can demob you from the range which is greater than any shooting range by at least 500 meters is not OP at all.
Ohh, your suggested counter is plating? Well duh, being plated is giving you the speed of being demobed. So you're *** anyways.

But, your assaults will see the Zenith and be able to 'pounce' on it... unless your not bringing assaults along to your roam because they are too slow?

Arga wrote:

But, your assaults will see the Zenith and be able to 'pounce' on it... unless your not bringing assaults along to your roam because they are too slow?

For 5 man roam it doesn't matter much. You bring spotter, speed tackle and some pewpew. That's all. Can be Kains, can be assaults (after this patch), can be whatever moves at reasonable speed. Roam in it's essence is a gank. You find weak target and kill it. You find something strong you avoid it.

What l-demob screws over is any fight which is not a gank.

So last night I was noticing that my detection range for 3rd star cremators was less than the 3rd star ewar.

Does that sounds right, about 350 yards without any kind of signal detection module active? If that's the case, an assualt with a signal masker is going to be able to walk right up on you.

A ewar will probably see a stealthed assault at very short distances.

Assaults have turned in to sneaky little gits. Granted... still... very very slow... but now sneaky!

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

So... I guess they can now... *drumroll* assault you. yikes

Sad Panda wrote:

So... I guess they can now... *drumroll* assault you. yikes

Hardly due to 2 facts. Firstly, as soon as you start locking someone and hold lock they will not drop from your visibility even if they are far outside normal visible range. Secondly, detector+marker. Obviously they'll be effective in small gangs searching for ganking, but that's it. As I mentioned earlier nice thing for new players as well as for small corps. But that's it.

You say that like if it were some ancillary thing, but "new players", "small corps" and "small gangs" is a quite notable part of the playerbase I think.

Sure there's a counter, but that's good or it would be OP.

I'm still able to do 70 kph in the baph fully armed, which isn't terribly slow, and using a range extender and 2 sensor amps, they are going to be something that needs to be countered, which makes getting the right fits even more important yes?

something else to think about, when you come upon those 2 miners at 1200m, you'll have to think twice before just running in, as they could have masked assaults waiting for YOU!

20 (edited by Aphilas 2011-06-01 19:23:03)

Sad Panda wrote:

You say that like if it were some ancillary thing, but "new players", "small corps" and "small gangs" is a quite notable part of the playerbase I think.

If you actually read all thread and not just last post you'd have noticed I said the changes are very good and helpfull. But I guess everyone sees whatever they want to see. After last patch assaults will actually have their own niche at which they'll be quite damn good (before that only waspish could have been considered as a half arsed pvp bot).

Next step would be to fix "I can see you as long as I have locked you" problem and properly fitted/skilled assaults could become usefull even in large fights.