Topic: Need new computer build recommendations for BEST SOUND...

So I'm building a new gaming rig from scratch and I really want to concentrate on the sound portion of the build.  Obviously Perpetuum isn't terribly resource intensive as far as CPU and GPU demands compared to the latest equipment.  I've decided to go with a midrange build coupled with a high-end audio system.  I want top notch headset audio and some fantastic speakers.  I really enjoy music when I'm not on TS and depending on the time of day, I'll have the speakers running, or I'll throw on the headset so as not to bother the neighbors.

The combination I was using before was:
Headset - Turtle Beach TBS-2114 Earforce HPA2 5.1 Surround Sound Headset with Amplifier and Removable Microphone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6826502011
Soundcard - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Cardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-Product
Speakers - Logitech Z506 75 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakershttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6836121044

This was a fairly good combination because the headset was nice and loud for audio with the amplifier built in.  It was difficult at times to get the headset to 'talk' to the soundcard but with a ton of settings tests, I found a nice combo.   The speakers were great, but they did tend to crack at higher volumes. Also the headset microphone began to wear out after about four months and a replacement mic cost 3 times the cost of the mic in shipping costs because TB execs have their heads up their ***.

I could go with the same combo but the headset is sold out everywhere and I'm not so sure about Turtle Beach anymore anyways.

So with all that in mind, and price is no object, what audio setup would you go with?  I would even consider a combo that involved a gaming headset and switching out to music headphones.  I'm a bit of an audiofile and I need high-volume, high-quality music.

Re: Need new computer build recommendations for BEST SOUND...

Uncle Mo wrote:

price is no object

Soundcard: MOTU UltraLite MK3
Mic: NADY HM-10

big_smile big_smile big_smile

3 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-05-30 16:58:00)

I'm somewhat of an audiophile myself as I love to listen to music with as much volume/clarity as possible. The soundcard you chose is probably one of, if not, the best you can get on the market as it's built for not only great sound but gaming latency as well. We're talking though in realms of mainstream parts as I'm sure there's better studio quality hardware... but we wont go into that as those bits range in the thousands and aren't really feasible for home use.

The headset I use when I want to game/chat is the Medusa with external amp. The sound quality is quite decent and it's also in 5.1 surround with a detachable mic. Here's a link to a similar product by the parent company:

http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-nx-51- … 4f2fa86a4e

That link isn't quite what I have, but it's one I used to have. Their other version has the detachable mic and also an external amp. I think I paid close to $200 for the kit. Here's a pic of a similar version to what I actually have,(without the detachable mic) but I'm not sure if it's still availale as I haven't looked around:

http://techgage.com/viewimg/?img=/revie … =Speedlink

For plain listening to music I have another headset which cost me close to $400. It's a Sennheiser set and they're simply amazing. I've tried a lot of different brands, headsets, earphones, buds, whatever... and Sennheiser have probably the best quality I've ever heard. I can't remember the series I have as I made this purchase years ago and I have no documents left for it. But I can certainly say that if they ever break I'd get another pair of Sennheisers. The sound is like having a stereo sitting on your ears, you wouldn't believe the treble and bass that comes out of them. Even when cranked extremely high the sound doesn't crack and to be honest, they can handle sound louder than you'd want that close to your ear so volume wouldn't be a problem. They are also extremely comfortable to boot.

As for speakers, the set I have is the Logitech Z5500. I did a lot of research back when I was in the market and this set had great reviews everywhere. I spent around $500 for these and they were worth every penny. I've never been able to make them crack because the volumes they reach prior to such occurrence is too loud. I've downloaded bass tests and tracks for speaker tests and these things will hurt your ears before they hurt themselves. If you want loud, full, clear sound, these will not let you down.

Hope this info helps push you in the right direction.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

I use a Logitech G35 gaming headset. True surround sound is pretty BA.

5 (edited by Red Ketchup 2011-06-08 15:42:43)

I use the razer chimaera 5.1 headset. Insane piece of hardware, highly recomended.

Only low point of the headset: No 5.1 while using the microphone. It's a dual mode thing and 5.1 is only available when not in chat mode.

Go with the Logitech G35, extremely comfortable, durable, 7.1 surround. And you can use the mic at the same time.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

I have the G930 wireless model, the sound quality isn't as good as the G35, but for gaming its more than adequate plus you're not tied down to the desk.

8 (edited by Blue Ball 2011-06-09 14:18:02)

Hey Mo, Hope everything is going well.

For my rig i have 3 basic set ups depending on whats going on.

My most Common set up is as followed.

Cheap USB headset for single ear TS/ext.
5.1 Amp head unit 550W, 2 JBL slim speaker stacks (front mid-high range) 2 Full stacks rear (upper mid-Low range) 1000w Bass built in Amp(low-Sub low range)

This allows for me to run high quality sound while gaming/relaxing during the day from my PC and cover the entire sound range.

I also use Own the headset you are looking in to here are my Pro/Cons:

Pro: Great sound very clear and scrips plus true 5.1
Cons: KEEP YOUR CELL PHONE AWAY, Also takes a few days to tweak it to optimal sound quality.

Careful it is fragile.

I use my headset for night time when others are sleeping i just hate comms/music in same place >.<.

Snowstyle wrote:

Go with the Logitech G35, extremely comfortable, durable, 7.1 surround. And you can use the mic at the same time.

Forgot to mention... the Razer is wireless. hence the dual mode thing with the mic.
-full surround mode no mic.
-Really decent any usb headset quality level with mic.

both sans the wires.