Topic: Factory Profitability?

Just wanted to check my math here.  I am a noob but I think I am headed in the correct direction.

So I want to make some money and improve the economy, so I decided to make ammo/mining charges.

First I looked at researching/using enough kernels to be able to prototype my own item, but its super intensive on resources and money.  So NIC wise that was out.

Plan B.  I have to buy from the market. 1000 of my chosen item off market.  20k

Now I need a decoder, but a level one decoder will start me off at 50% resource production penalty and double the resources needed to make my item.  So I buy a Level 4 decoder so I can use less resources and be able to use my CT for awhile.  40k

Now to Reverse Engineer my item.  17k  Good news is that my level four decoder got me to 64% for my Calibration template so instead of double the resources I only need about 64% more.  Oh... and a by the way, when you Reverse Engineer an item, it goes POOF!!!  News to me!

Ok so I put my Template in the factory, each run of 1000 will cost me 6.5k NIC per run.

So the total is 20k + 40k + 17k + 6.5k per run.  83.5k for that first run of 1000.  This is with me collecting 100% of the resources, and I did not calculate any cost involved with that.

At slightly under the current market rate it will be the 6th run before I see a dime of profit, even then not much.  So I need to burn about 20-ish runs for this to work out to not be a waste of time.

Am I way off base or does this sound about right?  I know costs/resources will go down as I get more EP and favorable relations.

Re: Factory Profitability?

1. Learn skills for:

• Refinery
    Effective resourses usage
    Amounts of items produced per cycle (with every cycle CT becomes worse)

2. Use lvl 2 production.
Go find the outposts with lvl2 factories or go to the new islands, they have all lvl2 production facilities. It will cost you less on money and time.

PS Prototyping is needed for creating CTs for Tier 2-4 items. For T1 its just waste of materials.

The CT degrades every time you use it, using it 20 times may be too many. You paid too much for the decoder, level 4 is a good choice though.
You need more skills before manufacturing becomes worthwhile.

This works if you don't factor in your materials, as you said.
You could however just be selling materials and you should factor in the cost of those.

This should probably have been posted in Q&A, but to answer the questions. Yes, that could be the case, but it depends massively on your extensions and what facility you are using for refining.

Further, note that ammos differ quite a lot in what materials they need, so I suggest you compare across them to see which is more profitable.

In general if you want to make NIC out of production you have to do careful market research to see where the profits lie.

Production is probably one of the most complicated activites in the game, and requires a fair number of extensions to be consitently profitable, as well as being a very competitive activity.

Production has (3) cost centers;

Engineering
Factory
Marketing

Engineering costs are; Template Item(s), Decoder, and Reverse Engineering run cost
Factory costs are; Commondities(Materials), Factory run cost
Marketing; Sell fee, tax costs

The tax and sell extensions are self-explanitory, the higher the level, the less your overhead. There isn't much you can do about the engineering costs, you can speed them up with extensions however (and Annihilator mentioned that faster is cheaper, so you can save some cost that way after spending EP in factory).

While you don't factor in the cost of material, its going to be your largest investment, which you do realize as it promted you to get the level 4 encoder. However, you can gain a lot of material efficiency with cheap extensions which gives you some leeway to purchase a level 3 if you can't find a reasonably priced level 4.

Skills to get to (5) EP values are estimated (assumes all Indy character)

EP:855-Basic Extensive Mass Production - 1line/level = 6 lines per factory
EP:684-Basic Efficient Mass Production - 2%/level = 10% less material cost
EP:6,272-Intensive Mass Production - 1Item/Cycle = 6 items per cycle

EP:1,197-(level 2)Programmed Mass Production - 1 Cycle/Level = 3 Cycles
EP:2,565-Advanced Efficient Mass Production - 2%/Level = 10% less material cost
EP:2,565-Expert Efficient Mass Production - 2%/Level = 10% less material cost

Total EP- 14,138

If you are starting with raw materials, you should also get this extension as high as possible (there is only 1 that concerns refining)

EP:12,483 (level 10) Refining - 3%/Level = 30% more commodity from raw material.

As Lucius mentioned, you should always take the time to do these activites at the level II facilities and get your relation up continually. Each outpost on the alpha-I islands has (2) level-II functions, and transport missions between them. In this way, as you move materials around, take the missions too for NIC and to raise your reputation.

With the above skills;

You can have (6) CT's installed, you can have (6) items per cycle, and be able to program (3) Cycles with 30% less material cost.

If you had the material, and wanted to have all the same CT's installed, you could create 6*6*3 = 108,000 rounds overnight.

Or 18,000 rounds of 6 different ammo/charges.

Making 2-3,000 rounds at a time may be profitable, but you lose out in the NIC/HOUR calcuation.

This is why being a vertically integrated solo player doesn't pay off for many-many months. While 14K of EP isn't alot, most indy players are also spending lots of EP on mining, and another 12k to convert the raw materials, and then the marketing EP to sell it.

Ideally, you want to concentrate on either mining or production first, then when you get proficient, cross train over; note that you eventually want to get greater then level 5 on those extensions, but I would call that level proficient, while anything above that is expert.

Awesome thanks for all the tips guys!