1 (edited by Uncle Mo 2011-04-27 19:40:27)

Topic: Accumulator Expansion and Energy Mgmt shouldn't be level 5 skill.

I want to train my combat pilot in these skills from 6 to 8 and I'm finding that it will take over 33 days?!  We all know how important these skills are, but I feel in this case that 33 days is way too long for a mere six percent increase.  For an industrial character it would only take 21 days to make the same skill jump, and these skills would arguably benefit the industrial character a great deal more if they mine and remote rep.

These skills seem as basic to me as Armor Repair (Level 1 skill, 5% decrease to cycle time), Navigation (Level 1 skill, 3% increase speed/level) and Data Processing (Level 1 skill, 3% increase in CPU performance).  They all offer a modest percentage increase in performance to a basic robot function. 

I'm not saying that we bump them down to Level 1 skills mind you, but Level 3 should definitely be considered.  Accumulator Expansion and Energy Management 10 should be a goal for every pilot and a reasonably obtainable one. 

(EDIT:  Another EP comparison:  It takes a Kain pilot just under 26 days to be able to sit in a Mesmer.  That's Nuimqol Robot from 5 to 8 and Advanced Robot from 1 to 4.  This seems completely reasonable.  The fact that it takes an extra week to raise Energy Mgt. and Accu Expansion both from 6-8 is ridiculous)

As it stands now, it will take a new combat schooled pilot 142 DAYS or almost five months to max these two skills!!!  For the new Industrial pilot it's just shy of 90 days or three months....for two, basic skills.

In summary, the only skills that should take this long are the ones listed under Robot Control, and perhaps those that greatly effect weapon skills (Crit Hit and Missile Guidance are fine) and one day those that will deal with Heavy Weapons whenever they're released.  Even at level 3 it will still take 3 months to max both of these skills for the combat pilot and one quarter year is long enough folks.

Re: Accumulator Expansion and Energy Mgmt shouldn't be level 5 skill.

I wasn't in beta, was there a discussion on which skills to set at what complexities.

Why would this skill have been set to 5 vs 3 in the first place? Are there 'classes' of extensions that get certain complexities?

Its hard to imagine that the choosing of a complexity number in general would be random.

3 (edited by Bawdrick 2011-04-27 19:24:48)

Accumulator is the life blood of PVP.
Those extensions are like the navigation extensions . Either make it so everyone to afford it from day one or make it something only the elites can afford to max out.

I like it how it is right now. Stability is sometimes easier to achieve through the correct setup then just bolting on new extensions.

All in all I disagree and the only people that really struggle at the moment is miners but that's usually due to poor planning. I would like to see miners able to change their yield for less accumulator use. Sometimes 1 extension can make a miner unstable and unhappy for a very long time.

Bawdrick wrote:

Accumulator is the life blood of PVP.
Those extensions are like the navigation extensions . Either make it so everyone to afford it from day one or make it something only the elites can afford to max out.

For the record there is only ONE 'Navigation' extension (not several extensions) and it's a level 1 skill.  I do agree that if Energy Mgt. is a level 5 skill, then so should it be with Navigation.  PvP is the lifeblood of PvP, but that's why there's energy drainers.  If you PvP you should expect to be energy drained.  Making it easier to raise Accumulator skills would give you an extra volley or two or cycle on a repairer.  As it stands now, it's easy to drain energy from enemy bots.

(Anyone having Eve flashbacks before the Nosferatu nerf?)

totally disagree with topic starter, and Bawdrick posted a good explanation why.

the complexity of them is perfect as it is.

you could also say "thelodica robot control 10 is something every asintec agent should reach in a few week, so he can concentrate on more on other skills"

and if you really need more akkumulator:
- put an auxillery one in your mech
- get a mk2 mech (most of them have accumulator bonus)
- raise "special ops robot control"
- and hell, if your going to face accumulator issues in combat: fit injector and get recharger support (nexus or tranfer)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

6 (edited by Uncle Mo 2011-04-27 19:45:40)

Annihilator wrote:

totally disagree with topic starter, and Bawdrick posted a good explanation why.

the complexity of them is perfect as it is.

you could also say "thelodica robot control 10 is something every asintec agent should reach in a few week, so he can concentrate on more on other skills"

and if you really need more akkumulator:
- put an auxillery one in your mech
- get a mk2 mech (most of them have accumulator bonus)
- raise "special ops robot control"
- and hell, if your going to face accumulator issues in combat: fit injector and get recharger support (nexus or tranfer)

Actually I said that the Robot Control skills should be very difficult.  I agree that modules should be there to substitute for lack of skills.

My point is, Navigation speed is just as critical as Accumulator recharge rate for a bot pilot.  They are both critical!  So how can one be a Level 1 skill and the others Level 5?

On my miner, I have 'worked around' my acc issues with a T4 recharger, but its on the edge. I'm saving EP for indy 10 so there's really no other choice but to spend NIC on modules to make up the difference (but being able to put another T4 recharger in the Rivler mk II will allow for me to increase cycle speed significantly).

I would think the trade off in pvp would be similar, running more expensive T2 gives you more AP, but is a lot harder to sustain then the permant increase with EP.

That is why I was asking the question about class of complexities. If acc and em are part of a class of extensions that are all at 5, then that makes sense. Reactor is a level 1; acc and reactor are base mechanical components, but AP is an 'operational' extension while reactor is a fitting extension.

If operational extensions are all 5, then AP is good where its at.

Just looking for a pattern as to how/why complexity levels are assigned.

Patience... is a way to success in a sandbox game. Patience helps you to wait desired EP ammount, patience help you to use effectively what you have instead of whining what you havent. Be patient, and you will have all.

Uncle Mo, I have the strong feeling that in a years time this will become a non-issue for you.

Besides it can't be that "essential" a skill since most (95%?) of the pvp population (your competition) don't have those skills over 5 through 7.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Disagree with OP all agents can take advantage on robot navigation skills no matter what they do.

Well, it seems tables have turned noticed PVPers whining now, post expansion.

RIP PERPETUUM

It's balanced. End of.

The Game