Topic: No code-can

Seriously.

Seems many are making a sport out of can-code-guessing or even macroing it.

Why cant i just have a can that has no code and is only usable by squad ?

Seriously, if some Lithus empties my can after having macrod it, thats a good reason for a ragequit!

2 (edited by Campana 2011-04-26 21:20:58)

Re: No code-can

Has this actually ever happened to you?

It should be pretty rare so long as you don't use a really obvious code, since doing it manually is pretty slow - each try takes a second or so to input. bureaucracy managed it by accident once and promptly deleted all the contents he couldn't loot, bless him.

A macro isn't going to make it much faster since you are limited by the speed of the UI.

It would be cool if successfully cracking a code flags you for pvp, or if you make more than 15 unsuccessful attempts. Making it at least 15 would make it harder to trick people into flagging by giving them the wrong can codes.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Flagging for pvp wont help on alpha. A riveler wont shoot a sequer very effectively.

It hasnt happened to me yet and i only know of 1 case where macroing seems obvious.

But the chance to have it happen is ... unnecessary

Caithleen wrote:

Flagging for pvp wont help on alpha. A riveler wont shoot a sequer very effectively.

A pvp flag will prevent them docking up until the flag runs out. Get your combat-specced corp mates to run to the rescue. Or if they can't do that simply yell "flagged sequer at x location" in general chat and I'm sure someone will be delighted to run it down.

Could start some massive pvp fest on alpha, which would be awesome.

And if the flag is for unsuccessful attempts, then this will probably stop people making more than 15 guesses anyway.

I actually like the security code feature, I think it's a nice touch of realism without seriously harming anyone's game play. Except for the unfortunate owners of the can that bureaucracy happened to wander across in his travels.

Bernard Suits, 1978

Campana wrote:

And if the flag is for unsuccessful attempts, then this will probably stop people making more than 15 guesses anyway.

After three tries would be an option.

Caithleen wrote:

After three tries would be an option.

It would be a way for the people who are currently trying to crack your cans to grief noobs instead. Think of all those trial players promised free stuff, led to a can, and given the wrong can code...it would be so easy to make them enter it wrong three times. Then boom, blown up noob.

This is why I feel 10 or 15 would be a better compromise.

Bernard Suits, 1978

This is why I just tell people my can password in general chat, to save them all the bother of hacking... smile

Here are some of my favorites;

1111 or 1110 , that 0 is a killer

2011 a fine fine year

day and month or month day  .... 2804, 0428 Both super secure, no hacker's here

which ever easy to remember code you use, just be sure to never change it, and for large corps, everyone should always use the corporate standard 0000 - no deviation is permitted.

( jk - don't do any of the above )

Flagging isn't a great deterrent. Following your 'greifing' model, said greifer can sit in an arkhe until they crack the code, and either delete everything or just have a sequar in tow.

There's been a few times when I've had someone click my can, and adding a 10 guess and flag isn't a terrible idea, it's just so uncommon that the potential for abusing the flagging mechanism is going to be used more than it would be as a deterent.

How about 5 times and you just blow up, with no aoe of course, or get teleported to a random interior beta tp smile

I've cracked a can once, someone harvesting near where I was mining.  It was a BLOOD can and I've been working with a corp aligned with Domhalarn so I didn't steal any of his triandlus though.

I usually try a can a few times as I'm running by usually but I don't go out of my way for them.

10 tries = pvp flag seems like a good idea, certainly would add some alpha spice; albeit rare.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

If you're mining into a container and not hauling it before it gets too full then you're a noob.

The cans should have a longer passcode with a module that can crack it open (That PVP flags you)