Re: Some impressions from a new player.

I was going to say that so far the community has been the best thing.  I get the sense there could be more players... but on the other hand, I don't mind because the quality has been pretty high so far.

Oh, and his name was Jank, don't know how I could forget such a janky name!

I am a new player, started last night and finished all the tutorial which were hard to figure out even how to get them at first but I have been playing MMOs since 99 which helped alot.

First thing, the charater creation is nuts with all the choices that a new player with little information has to make.  I did read the forums and other sites before but I still did not know exactly what I was picking.

After doing so more reading and then watching the Help chat, I did not make my charater correct which is not a big deal to me as I never follow "Best" builds in any MMOs but still dishearting to think that I screwed up my toon before I even logged into the game world.

Alway, I did sub last night as the trail account was just not cutting it for learning the game and testing different weapons/equipment (going missles right now, like I did in EvE at first)

Overall seems like a fun game, look forward to trying to figure it out more today after work.
The one thing I cannot seem to find is how "Crafting" works, I can mine but do not understand how to build things or find recipes and such.

Welcome to Perpetuum! smile

There are some really good production guides, you can start here and then search for some more;

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -industry/

The community is great. I always wonder why more players don't post before creating thier first character... then again, I didn't either. I wanted to just blow up some bots!

29 (edited by Tilron 2011-06-16 18:24:43)

Arga wrote:

Welcome to Perpetuum! smile

There are some really good production guides, you can start here and then search for some more;

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -industry/

The community is great. I always wonder why more players don't post before creating thier first character... then again, I didn't either. I wanted to just blow up some bots!

Its a good question for sure.  Personal, I always just jump into a new MMO and get my feet wet before asking the community questions but in this game, you may not want to do that.

I am mainly going Combat but wanted to have some industral skills but in the chat last night I saw if you want to do combat, you should have 30/28 which I do not, I have 22/22 which I guess is not that bad but oh well.

I am looking over the link you posted, thank you and Yes the community in this game has been great so far, answer my questions in chat without the "learn to play Newb" crap you see in most MMOs today and quick to post response on the fourms to help out new players.

Also looking at the Corps and which one I want to join, I am seeing that PvP is the major focus of the game, if that is correct, I am hoping I do not have the same issue I had with EvE which was getting bored of PvP as it is the same every fight once you learn each ship's(robot's) best load outs are and how to counter them.

I was hoping for more group PvE missions not raids just group content in PvE.

The devs are working on improving group PVE. We had a little taste during the grand opening event for Terra Incognito, where the Islands were full of Protector Bots and groups had to go in and clear them out before the Islands could be used.

The ground based PVP is more movement intensive than Eve, so there's always terrain/range/los issues that make each fight a little different; but getting your loads and modules correct is still an important part.

You get 1 'free' account reset, which will allow you to change your main character. Its a question of when to use it. You want to get enough time in the game to know what you want to do, but not too much, as you have to delete your character to reset. A couple weeks should be about right.

For PVP, you'll want to join a corp - check the recruitment thread -

Personally I loved the tutorials. Also happy with the number of assignments. Camera controls bother me too, although for a lot of the issues people are reporting here, double clicking on the terrain then looking at whatever you want is a solution. I wasn't aware I could bind a key to free look, that's even better.

Anyway, took me one day of trial to decide I would sub two accounts. Still debating a third actually.

Hi. FWIW, I have belonged to, and enjoyed everything from Elite, through secondlife, Aion, Wow and Eve before finding Perpetuum. My start experience has been a cluttered mess of open windows, incoherent communications with devs, Non-intuitive controls, unclear and over simplified in part guides, long winded and incomplete instructions on the help files.

I have to admit it looks like it has potential, but  now knowing you can do nothing until you pay up is rather dissapointing. I created a second account to start over, but it seems to attach itself to the first account inheriting its crowded mass of windows and instruction screens.

All in all, its probably a geeky game (like a slider game or a clever version of a 2d game on a grid of pentagons or something), but for those that want to get an eve-fix, (thats what I wanted).

It most certainly is not eve-online, though it seems to  have heavily 'borrowed' some styles and aspects. The learning curve is 'a-la-eve', but steeper. The ability  to feel you have accomplished something on day one  did not happen for me, sadly.

I will probably get my partner to try it for me and see if we can together make sense of it all as players in the game are far too busy to 'talk' coherently, and those that do try, love the crowded acronyms and the assumption you can see and be everything they are.

Its a shame the ris not a bit more hand holding in the beginning, and the opportunity to try out manufacture and markets and all the other bits people jargon-about in the forums here.

VS

Unknown, it's starting to get funny, we keep chasing you to be able to help but you seem like the write-only type of guy smile (no offense)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Unknown, it's starting to get funny, we keep chasing you to be able to help but you seem like the write-only type of guy smile (no offense)

Sorry, I will log in again and see if I can get to you.

VS

Dev Zoom, Im on  now.....  (Feels like a stupid thing to say as 'now' is whenever you read this. It was then,...

Yep, we're talking smile

Unknown Error is probably 'Hilarious' Hilmars spyalt.