1 (edited by Legedric Warstrike 2011-03-31 15:21:06)

Topic: Asking for advice in a decision between light bot/assault/mech

Hi huys,

as I don't know where "Player asking Players" questions should be posted I just chose this forum smile

I started playing Perpetuum about one week ago and I spent the past few days about thinking where to go with my primary account.
At the beginning, my plan was to go with lasers using a Baphomet. So I started to get the required extensions for Thelodica assualt bots and light lasers plus navigation 9 (saving EP for 10 now).
After fitting the Baphomet with 2-4 light lasers, one sensor amp, LWF, armor repair I noticed that my speed is something around 70-75 km/h.

So I tried to fit a Prometheus hoping to get a higher speed with a similar fitting (AMP, 2 LL, Rep and LWF). The Prometheus got only 2 more km/h compared to the Baphomet but lost ~300 HP because of its lower base armor. So my conclusion was: Baphomet should be better.

In addition I tried to fit an Intakt with the same fitting getting a speed increase of about 15-20 km/h (I don't remember the exact numbers here). But as far as know as a newbie, Intakt has no bonus to lasers but to EW, so I guess I should not use an Intakt for pew pew lasers smile

As I do not want to spend my EP to get an Artemis checking that one out I feel quite undecided about what to aim for with that account.

Regarding my personal playstyle I would prefer a (high) DPS role which is capable for PvP, because I think I won't be that good in EW (tackling etc.).
To help me making a decision I want to ask you for any experience with the above mentioned topic leading me to the question: Which way should I choose regarding bots? Should I consider a switch to another color (with a better DPS/speed combination)?

Any advice is much apreciated!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

2 (edited by Arga 2011-03-31 18:04:45)

Re: Asking for advice in a decision between light bot/assault/mech

I can't give too much advice on how the Baph works in PVP, but I have lots of experince with it in PVE that you may find useful; as well as the Artemis.

The laser bots have a lower base speed but the weapons are light weight, so generally you can fit out a baph and have OK speed, but speed-fit with just a few modules it will be slower than other speed fits. And generally what I see on the forums is assualts of any color are not being used in roams.

I chose to go with the strengh of the lasers, which is distance and a great precision value. So longer optimal range and fall-off balanced with locking range; sensor amp is a must, 2 is better for the faster locking time. If you lock your opponent way out with 2 amps, they won't know what your max fire range is and it will typically keep them out of missle range trying to break your lock. LOS is the downside to lasers though and in lots of cover range doesn't help.

The mech is really fun, but slow. With 2 amps and skills I can lock at 500+ and the long range medium lasers are full damage out to 400 and fall-off to lock range. With precision 10 and a 5.6 dispersion, it does decently against assaults, and typically 1 of 4 lasers will hit a light bot for 1/4 to 1/3 health (on NPC's, your milage on LWF PVP bots will vary). But that's with about 60 days of EP, so sticking with the Baph for a while is a good idea; and spending EP on general firing, range, etc. all translate from assault to mech.

This sunday, 62nd is holding a PVP event for light bots. Fit up a Prometheus in T1, come out and see how it stacks up!

Edit: I try to go with 2 amps because the 5% from a laser tuner is nice, but if you can't fire because your not locked, its wasted anyway.

Thanks for your help so far Arga smile

I will check if I can spare some time on sunday to get blown up in a Prometheus wink

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Just one more question: If I am aiming for a mech, am I right saying that a mech or even heavy mech is pretty much useless in "all day PvP" but a good option doing intrusions and whatever "base-battle-like" mechanics will get into the game later on?

Mechs can be good during every day PvP.
Very useful as a firepower backbone

6 (edited by Arga 2011-04-01 18:39:56)

Check out the Speed-fit Mech thread.
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … siles-etc/

Your going to need a T3/4 frame on an Artemes to make it fast enough for roaming, because of the low base speed. And mechs are generally more expensive to PVP with; med modules are more expensive to replace and Tiered items are needed.

If your financing your own PVP, what I've found is the time it takes to generate the NIC to replace a bot isn't worth the effort for mechs, which is why you see lots of light, cheap ewar. If your getting bots from a corp, at discounted prices, and roaming in corp groups than mechs can be effcient, effective, and fun!

TL;DR Solo mech is just target practice, but PVP in a group can be good; either speed-fit roam or armored intrusion.

Thanks again for the advice smile

I will first stick to the Baphomet, get some basic skills up that I may use for mechs later on too. As I am a member of a "good" corp with lots of support mech PvP is still my first option smile

8 (edited by Phalanxx 2011-04-04 03:26:15)

Looking for high speed, high DPS?

Kain (Numiquol Mech) is probably the most popular choice.

With Nav 9-10 and a t-4 light weight frame, its easy to get over 74 kph, Add a T-4 speed nexus, its possible to get over 80.

With good turret skills it hits like a truck.

The downside: A speed fit Kain can be vulnerable to concentrated enemy fire.

The bonus of the yellow line of bots is the higher HP, and resistance bonuses which increase your effective HP.

I got both my Mechanics and Complex Mechanics to 8 recently, and I cried a bit inside when one of the Artemis pilots in the corp got his up to 6 and had ~500 more HP then me.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Legedric, if you planning spend much time in PO, im sure you will be able to drive any mech in 1 year, and in 2 years in perfect (lvl 10 ext i mean). Pay attention: different types of bots using same important skills, so you can build as many your favorite roles as you want in one account: for example energy skills are valuable for kain, artemis and iktus, but DPS tyranos dont need them. Electronic Warfare skills are important for zenith, vaga, intact and cam but are useless for pure DPS mechs and iktus in general. Also pay attention for role what you love, and you can begin build your bot, after proper EP plannin afc.
You can achieve high DPS from kain, as Phalanxx sad, or from close range artemis with multispectral ammo and prototypes. And dont forget: you can allways build new role above your old skills.

In response to the OP, let me give you a bit of advice our corp gives to every new member that comes in:

Always remember you have the option to do a one-time account reset, 45 days from the date of account-activation. The best approach you can take is to consider those 45 days as a "trial" period, so mix and match and try out everything that interests you. When you know what you will enjoy doing, reset your account and create a character solely dedicated to that purpose. First master that, then worry later about cross-speccing.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice