1 (edited by Legedric Warstrike 2011-03-25 09:14:01)

Topic: A new player's feedback after 3 days of gameplay...

Hi guys!

I just started playing PO on monday after a friend of mine (Caithleen/Natasya) persuaded me to come and join him to check out Perpetuum Online.
First of all, I think that PO has great potential and the game feels quite good after the first few hours of gameplay. But to be honest… if Natasya wouldn’t tell me all the good things about PO (Corp gameplay, PvP, base battles etc.) I would definitely quit this game right now and probably never give it a second chance.

The reason is not that I do not like sandbox or complex games as I played EVE, Fallen Earth and PotBS with great enthusiam, but more that I do not feel enough "motivation" during the first hours of gameplay.
For the first few hours of gameplay, the game has by far the most boring and annoying tutorial combined with a high learning curve especially regarding character progress (skills). I of course do not know the numbers but I guess the conversion from a new player to a player completing all the 10 tutorial missions is lower than 20-30%. I think we all know what this means for a game which is more of less “floating” somewhere in the MMO world waiting for players (and/or publishers).

So what are my main concerns:
1. Not enough motivation
The first few hours are very boring and as a player I do not feel rewarded (and so motivated) for the first steps I take within this game. In my opinion this could be "smothened" with just some simple steps. For example: After the player completes the movement tutorial reward him the first weapon. In this way the player will get the first "touchable" reward and he will also have to use it right away in the first combat tutorial.
In addition I would suggest to not grant the 20.000 EP to the player right after the character creation. I would suggest to (for example) award the player with 2k EP for the completion of each Tutorial Assignment (10 in total resulting in 20K EP). In that way the EP do not just be there but they are an additional reward for the player. In addition, the game will be able to tell the player what he should use his first EP for (e.g. basic robotics, navigation, some basic stuff...) while doing the 10 tutorial missions.

2. Boring/Annoying tutorial missions
The very first mission is reaching 4 points on the map... this is by far the most boring thing I ever did in a game. I do not say that this mission should be deleted from the game but it should be shortened by at least 50%.

The combat missions are the first action, but they last far too long… What’s the motivation to target lock a drone and keep firing at it for 3-5 minutes over falling asleep hitting the keyboard with my head?

The second teleport mission (the one backwards) asks you to transport an item which is in your private vault… PLEASE remind the player to fetch this data console in adding a sub-step to this quest (eg. Place the data console into your cargo, Next Step: Deliver the data console to terminal whatever…

3. No forum access during trial
As a new player in a highly complex game like PO I will be able to ask questions even while I am not playing the game right now. For this reason it is absolutely necessary to be able to post on the forums as a trial member. If you are so frightened about spam, negative feedback or whatever then just limit the write access to a single forum area but please give new players the opportunity to get in touch with other players while not having access to the game (e.g. @work, on a trip etc.).

--------------------

In my opinion it is very important to keep the player motivated during his first hours of gameplay until the player gets interested in "the real game".
As I stated above, I would not have paid my frist ~9 Euro if I had to check out PO on my own without someone telling me what lies ahead of me. Right now (after having paid my first bucks) I got interested in this game as I begin to understand its progress (fitting, EP) and after I got into a corp. In fact I do think that PO is a very interesting game and that it can be a successfull game in some time but I also think that it is still far away from even being a "medium" successfull sandbox/indie game (for example compared to Fallen Earth).

Best regards,

Legedric

/edit: spelling

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Re: A new player's feedback after 3 days of gameplay...

Thanks for your views, I hope devs read this asap!

Thank you for your feedback, everybody keep bringing those in, so the dev´s can take notice. Keeping in mind that this game is still very young.

Nice to see, you joined one of the best corps in game, hehe cool

I like the idea of getting your 20k EP´s in chunks, as rewards upon completing sections of the tutorial. But there needs to be a "skip tutorial" option as well. Because if you are creating one of your numerous alts, you don´t need and want to keep having to do the tutorials, just to receive the EP´s.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

MoBIoS wrote:

Thank you for your feedback, everybody keep bringing those in, so the dev´s can take notice. Keeping in mind that this game is still very young.

Nice to see, you joined one of the best corps in game, hehe cool

I like the idea of getting your 20k EP´s in chunks, as rewards upon completing sections of the tutorial. But there needs to be a "skip tutorial" option as well. Because if you are creating one of your numerous alts, you don´t need and want to keep having to do the tutorials, just to receive the EP´s.

I did them on all my alts for the free bots, of course I didn't do them in the arkhe though, some frames and nav on a light bot makes it go from several hours to maybe 2 for all 10.

The EP idea isn't a bad one though, as long as it's clear that's where it is and not the training missions (I really think that you should just be given tutorial #1 as your first assignment as soon as you're dropped in instead of sitting next to an alpha terminal wondering wtf you're supposed to be doing).

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Hi Ledge!

Glad to see the feedback.

About EP - I made the same suggestion, to give the starter EP as a reward, a while ago. I'm not sure why they don't do that, as it not only rewards the player but also lets them see the different aspects of the game before placing points. The only negative thing I can think of is that it sets an expectation that EP is somehow 'earnable' from something other than just minutes of active subscription.

Boring starter missions and rewards - I have 2 words for this "Arhke Nerf". I typed my fingers raw argueing against the arhke change, for the specific issues that you are experiencing; takes for ever to kill anything because the CPU/RP/AP is so low you can't mount anything powerful on them. The play issue was that in pre-nerf arkhe's, if you had 50 players online (which wasn't unusual near launch time), they could all undock in waves of arhkes, basically zergging a larger force of 'not free' bots.

Forum access - Absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be a trial account forum area.

6 (edited by Annihilator 2011-03-25 18:24:12)

about the forum access - its maynards fault. he pointet at the devs that he can post on the forums again with his trial account and that alone was enough to trigger the trial-block big_smile

but i agree, they should get a forum group (TRIAL) and a section they can post.

edit: they just got it now wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

*hear hear* !

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/foru … nt-forums/

It's great to see that feedback sometimes results in fast action! *thumbs up!*

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Off to troll, err I mean help, the new players on the trial forums

Wheeeeee