Topic: Sniper cannons, Flamethrowers, Chainsaws

in other words - moar weapon types please! long-range, med-range, close-range, and even melee! poisoned plasma axe FTW !!

Have a productive day, Runner

Re: Sniper cannons, Flamethrowers, Chainsaws

Long range rifles for assaults would be nice, but only on 2 slots, no more.

Laser snipers leave a trail of light, a rifle sniper gun would be interesting as it would be harder to determine the source. It would have to be high damage with a very slow rate of fire though if it was single shot.

also it can be heavy and only 1 equipped or something like that

I'm not sure if the game has the back end mechanic, but I would also say that it can't be used while moving, but you can get a gyro stablizer module that allows you to shoot while moving, but gives 1-3% boost to damage if you aren't.

flamethrowers yes!

I want burning plants with my flamethrower!

plasma swords !!! lightsabers !!! one C3-p0 and one R2-D2 plz ... and some dragons... yah!!!
let the pew pew begin!!

and hand grenades!

moar weaponzzz!!

BEHOLD!

The Holy Hand Granade of Antioch!

But srsly... Flamethrowers are needed. You just can't have miniguns without flamethrowers.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

lay mine fields around my plants i am growing

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

Combat Flamethrower and Industry HALON disperser.

You can start fires which will burn foliage, as well as AOE damage to players. Fires will burn out eventually, or can be exstinguished with the HALON disperser. And the appropriate ammo/cartridges for each.

How about a close quarters voltage charge that stuns their mobility for 1 to 5 secs

Inner Ring Excavations

high-voltage weapons can be able to jam theyr modules instead

Flame throwers should have ability to ignite plants. Burning plants will inflict AoE termal damage to those who's hiding there.

Also I like the idea of grenade launchers, nice medium range AoE weapon for missiles slot.

ok, flamethrowers, sniper guns, what else? what about close-combat weapons? not an actual melee but something like that. any ideas, wishes? c'mon guys let it be moar weaponz!

Stun guns.
Weapons that freeze the enemy.
Weapons that disables your system.
Magnetic gun that pulls the enemy closer to you or push the enemy away.
A system that can boost your speed for a few secs, used to ram other bots for dmg.
Electronic equipment that can make a mirror of your own bot.
Huge knife like weaponry, claws, hammers and spears to impale the enemy.
Acid spray

doesn't demobs works as stun guns?

you should be able to target their wheels and tracks to stop them dead, then take over their bots!!!!

Once there bot is disabled and they try to leave the game they still lose the bot. or hit a button to blow it up, would be awesome to be able to capture bots

Inner Ring Excavations

Good ideas but balance is the problem here. If anyone played fallen earth they will know why droves left that game due to long distance vs melee PvP imbalance.

The problem with balance in these types of games is that we don't play like things are in reality. To counter snipers in the real world let's say you have two options, counter sniping and getting someone to stealth up and take them out up close. To take out melee, you either bring other melee or use long range sniping. (any military folks I KNOW I am over simplifying but let's not get all het up about it big_smile)

In games the problem is that we exist in a simplified model of the real world in which all real world scenarios cannot be applied. Therefore, the above balance doesn't play out. If you have 5 sniper bots able to 1 shot a mech at 800m, there isn't an effective counter currently in game, they can potentially do enough damage and retreat before the opposing force can retaliate. Everyone cries for a nerf.

Similar story with melee, if you buff melee enough to survive long enough to get in close and then have the melee trait of super high damage, everyone who isn't melle cries for a nerf (this is what happened in FE) .

Right now, we do not engage like traditional forces do, if a melee gets in close, everyone including the snipers target them and try to shoot them as fast as possible. In the real world, the elements of a squad have a defined role and generally (again oversimplifying) stick to their assigned role. We don't play like that, we don't play in an accurate enough model for that to be effective, right now concentrated fire is more effective, so if a melee got close to a mixed group with snipers included, the snipers would still fire on the incoming enemy rather then concentrating on their assigned role.

I'd love to see a sniper role, I like the play style and I know people would love a close in melee role but balancing these in a modelled universe can often lead to far more pain than the pleasure the new roles would provide.

Just my humble opinion yikes

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

21 (edited by Arga 2011-03-24 20:27:58)

Your point on sniping is a good one, and that's why its good to talk about these things before they are implemented.

Sniping - Uses reversed Fall off; that is at optimum range you get max damage, but damage is reduced by the fall off value as target gets CLOSER.

Operationally - The Sniper fit has an optimal range which can be set while out of combat (a slider similar to the speed slider). Any hit within 0% (Modified by sniper skill up to 5%. .5% per level) off the selected range receives full damage (modified by armor etc). Any hit on either side of the selected range, and outside the sniper skill, is subject to fall off damage (modified by the fall off skill). Each sniper rifle has both a MIN and MAX range modified by falloff.

Tactically - Spotter gives distance to target, sniper sets rifle optimal range with slider. Target is locked and shot fired, if stationary and the rifle was dialed in, target takes max damage. Sniper is in combat and can not adjust slider. Target rushes in closer than optimal range, second shot hits but is subject to falloff. Target reaches MIN distance, sniper gets "Targe too close" error when trying to fire sniper gun.

Stragetically - with sniping ranges of 1500 meters or more, the sniper can be well out of range of the target but requires a target painter, just like artillary. For large scale engagements, the sniper is dependant on the spotter to anticipate target movements and relay expected distances, not actual. For solo play, sniping would happen at shorter ranges, 900m or so depending on target and installed detection modules. Sniper would have to continually move to maintain optimal distance, and be subject to moving penatly or have gyro stabilizer module.

Skills - Sniping is an advanced tactic that would require a well skill pilot. Target locking time would be a critical component, it should be as quick as possible since this warns the target they are about to get snipped, so sensor based skills for this as well as increasing your max locking distance; the gun gives a bonus but skills would be needed for mega-range shooting. Sniper weapon is a massive med weapon with high reactor, so typically only fitted on mech/hmech (also for increased sensors).

EDIT: So for a 1500 M shot and max sniper skill, target can be 1575 to 1425 and take full damage. So 5% maybe too low(.5% per) 10% for 1000M shots is 900-1100, a 200 M range, which sounds more appropriate.

f you have 5 sniper bots able to 1 shot a mech at 800m, there isn't an effective counter currently in game, they can potentially do enough damage and retreat before the opposing force can retaliate. Everyone cries for a nerf.

you know, that is acutally possible... and happened during beta - pre sensor-amp nerf.

ah, i still remember that time when styx attacked us with white laser ammo from 800m range while farming npcs on beta.

That was the time the first group startet to build larger forces to outnumber those heavy mech sniper squads. You all know the following whining about "blob" warfare...

the counter to the "sniper", there could also be modules and skills to counter them. the only sniper counter ingame yet is even longer range ewar on extrafast hard to hit small bots.
to bad those ewars are effective at any range against almost any target.

we are missing the Rock-paper-scissors counter for long range weapons: a type of armor or shield that does ultra-well against snipers, but is useless against melee

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

artillery can me counter-sniping. if you see sniper is somewhere around, just supress his firepoint, devastate it with artillery cannons

We also now have interference in the game, so sniper gun can increase that too, so having 2 snipers in the same area would ruin the locking.

Yes, 5 or more snipers could surround you and probably 1 shot you if they timed the alpha strikes, but if its 5 on 1, you were going to be dead anyway.

Arga wrote:

We also now have interference in the game, so sniper gun can increase that too, so having 2 snipers in the same area would ruin the locking.

Yes, 5 or more snipers could surround you and probably 1 shot you if they timed the alpha strikes, but if its 5 on 1, you were going to be dead anyway.

Agreed but in my long experience in gaming, people get real upset when snipers reach out and touch them in that special way too often. Without a sensible counter (I like the artillery idea being the counter) we could kick off a nerf cycle we may never get out of.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/