Re: Travel and travelling time. A review.

Not 100% but I do like the idea of a signal detection penalty.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

I agree, using 100% was just an attention getter, someone more familiar with the practical ranges of amps and boosters could probably come up with a useable number.

Using the highway shouldn't be 'sneaky', its a well known path and your taking a risk using it. Travelers radar signiture is increased 50% while their sensors are reduced 50% (%'s are place holders for some better numbers from PVP'ers).

28 (edited by Annihilator 2011-05-02 21:09:46)

god damn, if you want to see someone on a highway from far away, use a sensor detector

most robots on a highway will be industrials with already bad sensoring and masking values anyway. or heavy mechs with same bad values.

they will run with highspeed into your ewar mech/bot without seeing you anyway.
they also cant run away from you faster then before - the speed boost is exactly the same for everyone there - your roaming group will have the exactly same relative higher speed then outside of the highway.

and the speed boost is not like "enter highway for instant-warp-out-of-range"

please increase the radar signature of every lwf user by 50%, it cant be that they can sneak up to my mining bot unseen before my safe-logout timer is down to zero

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

please increase the radar signature of every lwf user by 50%, it cant be that they can sneak up to my mining bot unseen before my safe-logout timer is down to zero

It doesn't need to be. You can mine 90% of all the minerals you need within 1K of an outpost.

The only place this matters is on beta.

I was just throwing out a compromise to the suggestion that bots not be allowed on/off the highway. Having reduced sensor is not as bad as being hurled without recourse into a group camping the exit point.

you know, all the bold text was sarcasm..

Styx wrote:

It doesn't need to be. You can mine 90% of all the minerals you need within 1K of an outpost.

yes, because it regrows pretty fast within a few days.
oh wait, wasn't there something mentioned in a devblog about a change? wink

btw, 1km is pretty long distance if you consider:
- riveler pilot detects a small ewar at 580m range
- riveler top speed is something around 50-60 fully equipped
- small ewar top speed is probably around 100-120 for demob
- demob range was between 300 and 400m if i remember correctly
- how many seconds do you need to bring down a mining riveler?
- not everyone has his minining operation covered by several alt accounts watching teleporter activity.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Sooo... Instead of changing travel time... Why not just give the auto-approach button automatic pathing around obstacles? You would still have to manually click the teleport button and the approach button, the enter terminal button, do things with cargo, etc.

I don't think there's any problem with travel times. Find an island and stick to it. The only reason you'd travel away from home in any noticeable distance is for war really. In such a case, logistics has never been a quick and simple thing. You want to kill someone that's not in your backyard, prepare to make an effort. Especially in this game since the population is so low and the space between targets is quite noticeable. You can reach any island and outpost in this game in a decent time, the land masses really aren't that big and even with the latest xpac, there isn't much of it either. The only reason things seem boring and tedious now is because there's not enough players to fill in the gaps so everything seems like a boring ghost town.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Styx wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

as well mining on beta you are taking risks period, should not be easy to mine on a beta island especially solo.....And yeah without alts or tp watchers yes your high has just increased higher. I dont think giving someone an advantage in my back yard isnt quite right.

Who needs to mine on beta when you can just buy up the market and relist at your own prices? I mean, that's how the smart people do it, amiright?  tongue

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Grim Faust wrote:

Who needs to mine on beta when you can just buy up the market and relist at your own prices? I mean, that's how the smart people do it, amiright?  tongue

lol yes if done right smile

is a simple solutions to speed up traveling is already a system that says weather your in combat or not. anyone who has tried to destroy and item while in combat has seen this pop up.

if the game knows if your in combat then it would not be hard to add a mod or another extension that gives a big boost to run speed while not in combat.

this could be an expensive extension or a leg slot mod the gameplay behind it would be your not in combat all avaliable power is redistrubuted to engine allowing for greater speed and manuverablity if is an extension it can be balanced by the cost such as twice the cost of navagation or a mod that goes in leg slots were if you want faster travel you have to give up some defence.

it would not be unbalanceing or reduce risk as it would be avaliable to everyone and the effect would break the moment you are engaged in combat

just an idea as still reading these fourms

Dadar wrote:

is a simple solutions to speed up traveling is already a system that says weather your in combat or not. anyone who has tried to destroy and item while in combat has seen this pop up.

if the game knows if your in combat then it would not be hard to add a mod or another extension that gives a big boost to run speed while not in combat.

this could be an expensive extension or a leg slot mod the gameplay behind it would be your not in combat all avaliable power is redistrubuted to engine allowing for greater speed and manuverablity if is an extension it can be balanced by the cost such as twice the cost of navagation or a mod that goes in leg slots were if you want faster travel you have to give up some defence.

it would not be unbalanceing or reduce risk as it would be avaliable to everyone and the effect would break the moment you are engaged in combat

just an idea as still reading these fourms

well if any perhaps a type of module that acts like a booster. Make it only conventional to the mining bots, a 200% speed boost with a certain cycle rate or something, having a huge capacitor draw: 200% speed boost with 12 second cycle time of 500 capacitor usage per cycle or something. An idea I suppose.

could even go futher if went the mod route could even put draw backs such as rudeced acc

drains all power from acc until modual is turned off this would render your bot defenceless untill power is restored from other systems

is limitless could have neg attributes suchs armor repair can't be used with in 60 seconds of use of power boost due to overloading the power circuts of the robot.

the possablity is only limited by the imaganation of the devs would be very easy to balance risk vs reward with either option