Topic: Dev blog request

I'd like to request a dev blog, a "state of the game" address. It's coming up on four months since launch and I suspect I'm not alone having started with a one-month subscription and then adding another three months when I liked what I saw. But things have changed...

Now I find myself spending more and more time doing things I don't enjoy just to set myself up for the things I do enjoy (which over the course of a few patches and simple changes in player behavior, I enjoy less than before).

Devs create mechanics; how players use those mechanics determines gameplay. I've recently made a few posts expressing my views on several of what are, for me, core gameplay elements. No doubt other people with playstyles and objectives that vary from mine have done the same.

I'm looking forward to the patch on Friday because, frankly, I want change. The PvE experience I think should be the top priority, even above the PvP elements that were the topics of some of my posts. While the "roadmap" blog gave us a look at future content, I want to know what the devs feel about how the current game delivers the content that already exists.

What, in terms of gameplay, are the devs seeing that you like? What are you seeing that you're not happy with? In particular, which mechanics are not delivering the desired outcome? What gameplay issues are you seeing that you want to change but don't yet have mechanics to address?

If we players know your goals, we can help suggest mechanics to achieve them. As importantly, those of us who must soon make a decision regarding our subscription may find what we seek in your words rather than basing our decision solely on our current experiences.

2 (edited by Kalsius Dakalsai 2011-03-10 11:25:42)

Re: Dev blog request

I agree but earliest I would expect anything would be mid next week.

I agree that PvE needs to be a priority, we can always blow stuff up but we need reasons to do so. Right now the following appears to apply

Time to grind for replacements > time spent playing to need replacements

And

Pain of grinding for replacement > pleasure from playing the game to need replacements

Even good PvE mechanics can solve the above issue and if it does, I am sure all us inventive PvP players will make good on the opportunity and have lots more pew pew without needing a massive content update dedicated to PvP.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

'Active' player base is what the game needs.

This doesn't mean changing to a theme park to attract new players, there is already a good player base, but they aren't active.

We need some quick hit changes to revitalize game play. Even the self proclaimed hard-core players are fighting to find reasons to continue to log in.

Friday patch is a good start, as I will be logging in to check it out and see how it plays, and I hope others will too.

Something like weekly micro changes will keep things moving, I don't think we need major items like land and pos, keep working on them, but also show us that the game is being developed.

Snacks are good to keep the tummy from rumbling, we don't always need banquets.

Oh, and as always, I support any request from devs for more info... it can almost be as good as a patch to hear about something that may change.

From my limited viewpoint, it seems to me that the core issue facing the game is that it is a sandbox game without many people in the sandbox.  A player-run economy depends on lots of participants, and the game is still very new and unknown to many.  This will hopefully change with time.

I unfortunately wasn't playing Eve when it first came out, but I suspect it had similar issues.  I believe Perpetuum has a lot of potential and I'm willing to wait and see what it becomes.

6 (edited by alfri 2011-03-11 09:37:22)

I would like an island of no one.
where I can go alone.
now in the islands beta I can not go alone.
is suicide.
make an island open to all.
where everyone can do pvp, without the help of etrminal.
now I go to island beta, see me, call for help at the terminal, go out and kill me in 4.

7 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-03-11 17:58:58)

There has to be something to attract a population to the game which in turn would say a fraction that became active. From that a fraction that became beta players etc

It's the same syndrome people are experiencing in all the sandbox games. People come, get bored, and there doesn't seem to be stuff to hold them there.

My corp is very active, but I do wish for more population.