26 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-03-31 10:56:12)

Re: Kains going 72+ kph, kiting using missiles, etc.

*sigh*

okay, I will use tags to highlight what I say

if tanked mech have tacklers to catch speed fitted mech they get killed first from the distance.

I like to play roles. Do you like to have a role? Your own speciality? I have one. This role is tanked mech. But it suck. Why does it suck? Because speed fitted mechs can overrun it and take it down from the lock range. And 5 speed fitted mechs will kill 5 tanked mechs one by one, using focused fire from the distance, at the edge of locking range.

the issue is - there is no armor tank possible at all.

fit a medium repair and your out of accumulator from repair
fit a small t4 repair and you can't tank much DPS while beeing attacked.

speed is king, because theres no way to repair yourself efficient enough to stand a chance against a hit and run attacker.

the speed fitted attacker has mostly cheap t2 equip because of lower mass, and works with less expensive equip (free slots = no cost)

the tank fitted defender has to fit t4 armor, repair and tunings to simply stand a chance (t1/2 repair tunings are worthless)

tyrannos & gropho are are the only efficient shield-tank builds that can also deal a sufficent ammount of damage.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Tanked mechs have a roll in combat but not roaming combat. I have three accounts about 5 different roles currently. A tanked mech doesn't mean you have a short range. A tanked mech shouldn't die to long range speed mechs. Tanked mechs does mean they have high DPS either. Anything fit for speed needs to be tackled for it to die. Tanked is not and never will be a solo sport. If you're tanked it's because you're part of a team. If you're part of a team all fit the same way then that's a bad team.

No amount of balance will fix this. As I see it there is a balance. Mechs are fine. Tanked robots work great for defending an objective. And why does a tanked robot mean it's slow? It's slower but not slow. When you say tanked I assume you mean armour tanked. Think about the logic behind it. If you make yourself very tanked and then someone hides over a hill shooting robots at you no matter what reality, apart from a Disney reality, you're in then you are at a disadvantage.

If you don't like it then you're specialized in something that just isn't needed right now. You're only not needed because there is nothing to defend and you don't have tackling friends to help you. Every island is filled with chock points. There are very few spaces where there is a mirror flat surface. It's possible to get 5 tackles around 5 mechs and have none of them die very easily but not if they're not trained at using cover.

Something that can get in and out of your range due to their speed is not overpowered but it is your counter. If you want tanked mechs to kill speed mechs then you need to suggest something rather than "Slow them down so I can catch them" as that's not going to work. If something goes faster than you it can get away from you. Hence why I suggested LWF be accumulator based and rather than being a lightweight frame they become "Motor overdrives" or something. Same armor effects all the time but the speed effect would be based on your accumulator. Would be nice if they used a percentage of your accumulator too rather than a static value or each modules had a sizes which larger fittings and could push more mass. If they pushed less mass than you have they'd have a decreased effect. If they pushed more mass than you have you'd get the normal effect. So fitting larger wouldn't be more effect for smaller robots.

Ref: Afterburner sizes in that other game.

The Game

Bloody hell! Im not talking about SLOW TANKS! Im talking about speed mechs which FASTER than light bots with LWF! This is nonsense!!!

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Bloody hell! Im not talking about SLOW TANKS! Im talking about speed mechs which FASTER than light bots with LWF! This is nonsense!!!

Which mechs and which light bot?

Kain and Yagel

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Speed mechs can only catch light bots with disparity in Tier of gear.

Compare speed-fit mech in T1 gear to Light Bot in T1 gear, then talk about speed mechs.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Kain with t1 lwf and 4 magnetic weapons have the same speed as yagel with t1 lwf and weapons.

34 (edited by Domhalarm Citizen999 2011-04-01 06:36:33)

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Kain with t1 lwf and 4 magnetic weapons have the same speed as yagel with t1 lwf and weapons.

lol my island uses this

35 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-01 06:40:16)

Kristan Delorian wrote:

2 months after i post this, and it gets brought up.

Nerf the lwfs on kain, notice the people opposing this are the ones using it in battle.

Having kitefests are *** and not original, and the lwf/kains support it.

They are easily countered but this "gaming concept" was nerfed in eve for a good reason.

Mechs shouldn't be outrunning lights.

Syndic wrote:
Kristan Delorian wrote:

Speed mechs can only catch light bots with disparity in Tier of gear.

Compare speed-fit mech in T1 gear to Light Bot in T1 gear, then talk about speed mechs.

Afaik, the bot/mech speeds are calculated on the formula:
Navigation extension modifier X (base weight/[base weight X LWF modifier + weight of modules]) X base speed

That said, light combat bots fitted out with…
Head: 1 X s.amp
Chassis: 4 X racial weapon
Legs: small repper+LWF(T4)

… reach a speed of:

Prometheus speed: 81,5km/h
Yagel speed: 74,6km/h
Castel speed: 72,3km/h

I am not really certain at all as to how assault bots are fitted in PvP as I only use mine for PvE purposes only, but lets go with assumed fittings with…
Head: 2 X s.amp
Chassis: 5 X racial weapon
Legs: small repper+LWF

… and assault bots reach a speed of:

Baphomet speed: 78,3km/h
Arbalest speed: 79,2km/h
Waspish speed: 72,4km/h

In comparison speed fitted Kain speed is 79-80km/h, depending on if T2 weapons are used or not.

speed fit lights dont have repair - they have to rely on remote repair.

also, kain is meant to be fast - please put tyrannos and artemis into that chart.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

38 (edited by Moagrim 2011-04-01 13:40:51)

Annihilator wrote:

speed fit lights dont have repair - they have to rely on remote repair.

also, kain is meant to be fast - please put tyrannos and artemis into that chart.

Fair enough, I don't use anything in PvP than either E-War light or a combat mech and as such I am not really too familiar with the fittings.

Light combat bots with that fitting (no repper) would go with speeds of:
Prometheus: 85,7km/h
Yagel: 86,1km/h
Castel: 83,3km/h

Tyrannos speed would be 69,1-69,9km/h  and Artemis around 72ish km/h and yeah Kains are meant to be fast, but the current speed difference compared to the two other combat mechs is nothing short than being completely absurd at the moment.

Mechs vs lights are meant to win. At the moment they don't. I can get a Prometheus to go 82 KPH fully fitted and a Prometheus Mk2 will go a few KPH faster depending on the increased fitting.

I've killed a Kain in a Prometheus but granted I did get remote repaired at one point by a passing friend which I didn't need but probably helped a little. As the fight become close the Kain was out of energy.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Mechs vs lights are meant to win.

Win in what? Combat or speed? We're talking about speed right now.

What is the PURPOSE of the Kain? T4 Gauss Guns + Magnedart ammo. It's designed as the Mech that goes into point-blank range and unloads. That means you have - assuming equal signal detection and mutual 1000m spotting - 940 meters to kill it or you will die. The speed-fit Kain is a GLASS CANNON.

Consider the investment though; in order to achieve its high speed the Kain must have either all T4 gear or alternatively, T4 gear with T2 guns (sacrificing a lot of DPS in the process). What is gained with this is just speed, nothing else. 1 Prometheus equally fitted can take out a speed-fit Kain.

While I completely understand why you people want T1 Light Bots to be the 2nd fastest thing in game barring ewars, you're merely beating your own drum. If your corp can't supply your mechs with T4 gear and better then light/ewar/assault bots, thats your problem and your choice.

Compare a speed-fit Kain to a speed-fit Artemis, or speed-fit Tyrannos; Yes the other mechs lose ~9-10kph of speed compared to the Kain, however Kain's optimal range is ~100 meters to utilize its mission ammo to achieve its purpose. Artemis - with Crypto ammo - fires at ~650m optimal range, Tyrannos fires at ~600m optimal range.

That in itself makes the Kain vastly inferior to the Artemis in a 1v1 situation, and probably coming out on top against a Tyrannos provided the player plays his cards right.

The only case in which a Kain could compete with an Artemis is if Missile Launchers were equipped, and missile-related skills were leveled. But, missile launchers would slow the Kain down to par with the other Mechs. It is the CHOICE of those who pilot speed-fit Kains not to equip missile launchers and forgo chances of killing an Artemis.

Now, what would be achieved with Light Bots in T1 fits being faster then Mechs in T4 fits? Only ewars could catch them, but ewars alone would never have the DPS (2 guns, no robot bonus) to take them out alone. If mechs couldn't achieve the speed to support the ewars, the pilots would have to bump down into Light Bots themselves.

At the end of the day, the two of you are whining because you want to be competitive with no effort. Light Bots are cheap to produce, and require no epriton; therefore no point in being on Beta to have the "best" bot/fit in the game. T1 fits can be farmed on Alpha as well. Kinda nice, having the fastest bot barring ewars in the game, with no effort and no tech-grind.

CIR Complaint Form

42 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-04-01 15:07:29)

Speed - is the job of lights and ewars, not mechs! Mechs job is - supreme firepower on the long range and armor! That's called "the archetype"!

By your logic bomber planes must fly faster than jet fighters, tanks ride faster than cars! This is ridiculous!

I mean tanks must be tanks! Not F1 race cars with a cannon!

UPD: If you want to get tyrs and arties - leave it to lights and ewars, let them do their job they were created for!

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Speed - is the job of lights and ewars, not mechs! Mechs job is - supreme firepower on the long range and armor! That's called "the archetype"!

By your logic bomber planes must fly faster than jet fighters, tanks ride faster than cars! This is ridiculous!

I mean tanks must be tanks! Not F1 race cars with a cannon!

UPD: If you want to get tyrs and arties - leave it to lights and ewars, let them do their job they were created for!

And there I was, thinking this was a sandbox where players decided how to fit their robots.

Ewars & lights were not designed as the weapon of choice for attacking mechs, the prevalent mechanic is Blue eats Green eats Yellow eats Blue. Ewars & lights = cheap bots that offer support/cannon fodder. IF I want to kill tyrannos I'll bring kain, if I want to bring kain I'll bring artemis.

Failures in individual corporations are not valid grounds to be changing the game mechanics, or the game design from a sandbox to a class-driven game. Failure to think outside of the box isn't something that should be rewarded.

CIR Complaint Form

44 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-04-01 15:38:23)

You thinking of speed mechs and nothing more. The game is wider in wariety of choices how to fight. Mixed team is what this game is meant to be. There must be tanks, fast movers, ewars, whoever you like, but not strictly "all mechs speed+range".

Being a speed mech is not the role of mech. That's the hole in the game balance! You just found how to use it and you're afraid to lose it. That's not the mechs role. Speed is role of lights and ewars. And dont underestimate light bots! They evade fire, they can use close range ammo to shred mechs to pieces. They can tacle for slower mechs to get in range. They can jamm. Do you remember PoP said couple of days ago when he visited our island on his speed Kain "And grats for that guy in a Yagel, he did pretty well" - that was me. I foght him 1 vs 1 and he left with only 30% of hp. Do not underestimate light bots.

But we are not talking about light bots. We're talking about that speed mechs are imbalanced. Not Kains, all mechs that fitted for speed + speed nexus. The maximum speed that lwf fitted mechs must reach is 65, no more. Then the game will be balanced for all archetypes.

Kristan Delorian wrote:

You thinking of speed mechs and nothing more. The game is wider in wariety of choices how to fight. Mixed team is what this game is meant to be. There must be tanks, fast movers, ewars, whoever you like, but not strictly "all mechs speed+range".

Being a speed mech is not the role of mech. That's the hole in the game balance! You just found how to use it and you're afraid to lose it. That's not the mechs role. Speed is role of lights and ewars. And dont underestimate light bots! They evade fire, they can use close range ammo to shred mechs to pieces. They can tacle for slower mechs to get in range. They can jamm. Do you remember PoP said couple of days ago when he visited our island on his speed Kain "And grats for that guy in a Yagel, he did pretty well" - that was me. I foght him 1 vs 1 and he left with only 30% of hp. Do not underestimate light bots.

But we are not talking about light bots. We're talking about that speed mechs are imbalanced. Not Kains, all mechs that fitted for speed + speed nexus. The maximum speed that lwf fitted mechs must reach is 65, no more. Then the game will be balanced for all archetypes.

Being a speed mech or a tank mech is the role a pilot or fleet CHOOSES. For durability you sacrifice speed, for speed you sacrifice everything to the point of being a glass cannon. It is a matter of CHOOSING how you want to fit your mech, not how the game tells you to fit it.

I'm not afraid of losing anything, I'll find the fit I want that suits what I want to do the best. I certainly won't go crying to the Devs because me/my corp is incapable of producing the gear/bots needed to do the job. Ponti said you did well? Who walked away at the end of the fight, and who had to refit another bot? Thats all that counts. I told RG they did well last night, I still went up 4v12 and came out on top. But hey, they did well so they're definitely doing something right by going inside demob range of a demobbing Mesmer!

And to point out how shortsighted it is... 65 kph + 10-12% Velocity Nexus = Still outrunning T1 Light Bots.

If you want to use cheap, expendable bots in PVP that's your CHOICE. If someone else wants to fly ~60 mil worth of gear, also his CHOICE; but dont QQ when you die. Someone's corp invested time and effort to grind those kernels, grind those materials, grind those decoders, fragments, etc; and its not their fault yours isn't doing that for you.

Archeotypes belong in CLASS-driven games. This is a sandbox, and its all about CHOICE and thinking outside of the box with what you can do with the toys youre given.

CIR Complaint Form

What Sundic said

47 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-01 16:03:27)

Syndic wrote:

Failures in individual corporations are not valid grounds to be changing the game mechanics, or the game design from a sandbox to a class-driven game. Failure to think outside of the box isn't something that should be rewarded.

Many have thought outside the box, and have killed multiple "mechs" fitted with speed fits,

The main point is that it's pretty unbalanced for the kains/arbalest to be huffing fast and many admit it and simply just abuse the speed. We did it using arbalest and people(yours) fumed about it. Funny how us using the same "mechanic" caused complaints from your group.

Kristan has pointed it out, a yagel with same fit as a kain and the kain goes just as fast. Should be fixed to be the same speed as other mechs, or mechs in general suffer a penalty.

It was done in eve when people used inertiastabs + nanofibers and the change to reduce speed/reduce nanofittings made the game better.

48 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-01 16:20:51)

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Kristan summarizes it here well. I don't know but if people in my alliance were telling me mechanics I was using were making the game boring and droll, or should be changed I would rethink my views.

Mara Kaid wrote:
Kristan Delorian wrote:

Kristan summarizes it here well. I don't know but if people in my alliance were telling me mechanics I was using were making the game boring and droll, or should be changed I would rethink my views.

Come on really, all this is wawawawa we cant catch them so please nerf them.  How do you counter them, fit the same voila or find another tactic.  There's always a counter if you can think of it, take them tools available to you and try and think of one rather than stick to your outmoded ideas and stop bloody whining about it!  How many times has there been people posting about i want to be able to compete in my tech 1 fitted light bot, get over it

Mara Kaid wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Many have thought outside the box, and have killed multiple "mechs" fitted with speed fits,

The main point is that it's pretty unbalanced for the kains/arbalest to be huffing fast and many admit it and simply just abuse the speed. We did it using arbalest and people(yours) fumed about it. Funny how us using the same "mechanic" caused complaints from your group.

Kristan has pointed it out, a yagel with same fit as a kain and the kain goes just as fast. Should be fixed to be the same speed as other mechs, or mechs in general suffer a penalty.

It was done in eve when people used inertiastabs + nanofibers and the change to reduce speed/reduce nanofittings made the game better.

Mechs in general already suffer a penalty from being light-fitted.

It's called a G-L-A-S-S CANNON for a reason, its fine until you start taking damage then it's game over. This is not EVE and no reason why it should be EVE, if you want to play EVE its ---> that way.

You two are whining about the same thing:

You dont want to mine / farm & make the effort required to outperform speed-mechs. You want to log in, farm for 10 mins to get T1 fits, spend 100k on a Light Bot, and go roam like great pirates. Only wrench in that plan is speed-mechs eat you alive.

Make the effort to get a proper fitted robot, or accept that the only thing you're gonna kill is a *** miner who hasn't learned not to mine solo after being killed for the 1235276 time.

And to make a point:

None of MY people(CIR that is) ever fumed about anything related to you besides two things:
1. You always keep ~10 people between us and you, and run away at first sign its going wrong.
2. You stopped showing up when we're online.

CIR Complaint Form