1 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-30 16:56:46)

Topic: Kains going 72+ kph, kiting using missiles, etc.

--Revised post a month or two after seeing how the game mechanics work--

The kain or blue bots need to be modified, or the other bots need to have their speed worked on to balance the use of the kain speed. currently I, and several others that use
the kains realize they are pretty easy to roam with. While we have indeed killed many of them, the community in general feels that the current configuration makes roaming groups stale( 5 kains, 2 cameleons + nexus etc lol ).

Multiple clans within the game have voiced concern over this. Being both users of this type of gang, and ones that have overcome it.

Given I've seen the same "strawman" arguments against what I posted, I'm going to template responses now.

Template Response 1 "There are no organized gangs countering them/if only there were"
: The reason for asking for a small adjustment to kains is not due to the fact people are unorganized or can't counter them. The individuals within the groups asking for the adjustment are organized, and use specific robots to counter them ( very easy ).

Template response 2 "You just want to use t1 fit light bots to counter something that someone has spent time farming"
: We've used bots that have taken time to farm to counter them.

-- Original Post--
Was it intended for mechs to be able to kite using lwfs, with very fast speeds?

For example, fit a tyrannos with a t3-t4 lwf, and then some missiles, and move relatively fast and out of range. If a tackler comes in ( say 1-2 ), simply target them while moving beyond the range of the bigger group. Once tacklers go down, continue harassing.

Are mechs supposed to be able to outrun smaller bots with lwf?

Curious.

I believe I was quoted 80+ kph recently.

Re: Kains going 72+ kph, kiting using missiles, etc.

You can't get a tyrannos going 80+
Also, the dps on the long range ammo is crap
You get a demobber going 120+ and catch up to them whilst that tyrannos can't do any real damage on the demobber.

3 (edited by Redline 2011-02-21 18:47:15)

Wjat kind of tackler do you outrun with under 120? edit: nvm

Any robot can fit a speed and kite setup but they pay the price for it. If you're sending in a tackle without ewar module support you're doing it wrong.

A Tyrannos should be able to kill a stupid demobber, in fact it should be able to kill at least three or four stupid demobbers.

Point is not to be stupid. It's situational. A kain can go 90+ but it won't have any form of tank and you'll be lucky to get a good DPS out of a speed kain.

I feel speed and low armour is working as intended. Risking a lot for the chance of a good reward while armour setups risk very little but gain very little.

[Everyone knows Long Range DPS Kains are the future.]

The Game

Yes, mech who fit T3+ speed mods are supposed to outrun light bots with standard T1 modules.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Sure - also a double plated gropho outruns my aunt - but - who outruns tacklers?

Redline wrote:

Sure - also a double plated gropho outruns my aunt - but - who outruns tacklers?

Nothing and nothing should outrun tacklers barring other tacklers with better fits/extensions.

CIR Complaint Form

Mara Kaid wrote:

Syndic wrote:

Nothing and nothing should outrun tacklers barring other tacklers with better fits/extensions.

No mechs outruns anything as stated above.

Redline wrote:
Mara Kaid wrote:

Syndic wrote:

No mechs outruns anything as stated above.

I have a good idea this post was caused by recent events where my 80kph kain ran down ECORP's 4-man light bot squad with T1 fits and got a few more notches on its belt.

But could be just me. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Mechs are too fast, you should nerf them so heavies can catch up...

Certainly fits the EP and character progression. And tbh, they do cost so much more to make then mechs so its only fair that they are the best & fastest & toughest bot in game. They are the end-game after all. lol

CIR Complaint Form

12 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-02-22 18:27:01)

IMHO heavier bots shouldn't be able to gain as much a bonus from lwfs, as smaller bots. This is how it was fixed in eve over the years I played. Battleships, heavier ships were getting too much a bonus from nanofiber/inertia stabilizers, and so they fixed that. Effectively the nanoship era was reduced and it went to slugfest.

It genuinely seems that pilots want to avoid close combat and instead prefer kiting were they take little losses, instead of having a good solid battle
. PvP should not be a clash where two forces simply try to kite one another and have a stalemate till one makes a mistake. There should be more to it.  you can sprinkle flanks, log-outs, terrain etc, but when the core of viable pvp is kiting maneuvers, something is wrong.

To reduce this, mechs+ should gain smaller benefits from lwfs then the lower bots.

We can see the evidence of kiting in most battles by watching a recent intrusion video from norhoop vs infestation/enclave/cir etc

hmm, in one topic, mechs are to weak against small/assaults -
now they are to fast?

wonder when the shield-is-to-powerfull-topics raise again.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Syndic wrote:

I have a good idea this post was caused by recent events where my 80kph kain ran down ECORP's 4-man light bot squad with T1 fits and got a few more notches on its belt.

No it's not you, we've run down your lwf fitted mechs just fine thank you.

Mara Kaid wrote:
Syndic wrote:

No it's not you, we've run down your lwf fitted mechs just fine thank you.

Last time my LWF fitted mech died was 8th of February, 03:53 AM. When was the last time you died?

Hmmm... sec, checking trophy list.

Ah. 22nd of February, 08:45:24 AM.

Your run-down skills are certainly impressive. I pray you continue to teach them to your fellow pirates, so far the historical accuracy is perfect.

CIR Complaint Form

there are quite a few different tactics for killing fast mechs but dedicated tackle is usually the best bet.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

and if the mech has missiles? supress him.

please don't derail the topic again into an "whats your intentions to bring this up" discussion.
It doesn't matter why someone started a topic - only facts, evidence and suggestions matter.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I am not assured precisely, but it seems to me that the balance between mechs/heavy mechs is, and very good. If want to move quickly - use fast robots. If want not to depend on a landscape - use rocket robots.

Everyone should understand that any balancing generates only new a disbalance.

Сайт корпорации: www.chaos-online.ru
Раздел приема в корпорацию: http://www.chaos-online.ru/foru....-perpetuum/

And so a new era has dawned on to PU.  Of course months ago we predicted this would happen.

Let it be said that on 2-21-11 we officially moved from the era of nerf-ewar to nerf-mechs.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

20 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-03-31 06:47:00)

I agree with Mara. LWF should have penalties on mechs, like -50% of speed bonus.

Mechs have way too powerfull engine. But mechs are heavily armored things and lwf doesnt do anything with armor plates, only inner wires and communications to make it more lightweight. But how the same module works equal on the light bots and mechs? That's not right!

While I equip a medium armor plate I get -2 km/h penalty. When I set lwf I get like +12 km/h or so, I dont remember for sure. I think thats not right. Mechs meant for fight, not running around "lulz, Im faster than you!"

21 (edited by Alexander 2011-03-31 08:44:36)

THREAD NECRO!
Bwallahhhh.. Braaaaaains.

If you think speed mechs are an issue you should really look at what 10 to 20 tanked lights can do with about 5 speed tackle. So that's 5 people going 120+ KPH. and 10 to 20 people going around 60 KPH with the same armor each as a LWF mech. If you get caught with your pants down (Meaning a group of 4 to 5 mechs) then as long as the tackles are using terrain and perhaps even a remote repair or two behind them you will die horribly.

If you have 5 to 10 tanked mechs the other side just turns around and goes "Whoop whoop.. Bye bye." And that's PVP. You need as many tackles as you do DPS and that seems really badly balanced. This also just promotes gank squad which I personally love as they're super effective but I am sure many will hate because they really can wipe you out over about a week if you're trying to do something.

Mechs are not the issue the "More tackle beats tackle" is the issue. We've fixed every other instance of "Bring more" apart from tackle. Instead of light robots being more anti-assaults wouldn't it make more sense for lights to be the DPS anti-ewar? Due to their size you need assaults and not mechs to kill them. Then all the ewar has to do is turn around and run away. If you're fighting something fast you should be using tackles. Tackles should be 1/4 of a squad minimum.

It means new players have a huge role in the game but it does mean the "me want big robot!" people get left out. Sometimes smaller with a few mech support is all that's needed. When you think of mechs being like tanks and light robots being like a person and then compare that to how a fight should go mech vs light. If two ewar can kill a speed mech (Yes, that's still possible. All you need to do is fit the ewar out and not be just tackle) then I don't think mechs should get even more of a speed nerf.

Then do a cost breakdown. Robots are not that expensive in the game, equipment is and the only equipment you "Need" to be T4 are demobs for the tackles and LWF. Everything else can be standard. If that's the case then something is very wrong with this games balance. LWF should have been modules that burn energy or even burn your armor for more speed as a last resort to catch the enemy. If you then used this to "Burn away" you'd be hurting yourself as you could risk running out of energy or armor. Then if it was energy based an Ictus would be more useful. Also fitting these on "Tackle" robots will be at some point they will either run out of accumulator (Videos have proven people can't accumulator manage) and with any luck will run out just as your tackles turn around and get them. It would be nice to see something have a lot longer demob range. Either a mech or an assault get a 5% to demob range per level but even that's not going to be long enough to make a sniper demober.

P.s. Lower the weight of suppressors too. ECM is usually more favorable. Suppressors are pretty useless in a large fight.

The Game

22 (edited by Kruachan 2011-03-31 09:00:59)

I don't want devs consider them what was wrote as a major feedback from our small community, we are still divided on that smile

@Kristan : It don't seem (to me) technically more difficult to speed up (through weight reduction) a large robot than a small one.
Using the same module is not an argument specific to lightweight frames, look at sensor amplifier, armor hardeners, etc ... several modules are not declined in small and medium categories.
(Btw you forget the demob resistance bonus granted by armor plates vs. demob resistance malus coming with lightweight frames)

About balance, why mechs "should" have a speed penalty ?
When light combat/ewar robots are buzzing around on beta islands, freezing all activities except scout/combat how can you stop this ?
When this happen on our island it seems that often the lack of defenseless targets make them stop hmm
Why cheap light bots (ewar included) should be allowed to disturb "too much" a mech-based defense that costed a lot of playtime and heavy investments (NIC + EP) ?
I do not see any balance here.

PS : sorry for bad English smile

Im not talking about balance "light bots vs mechs". Im talking about the balance "tank mechs vs speed mechs". Speed fitted mechs are much more horrible pain in the *** than light bots roams.

What tanks mechs are made for? They are useless at PvP. The only one situation they are in use is Intrusions. But I dont want to use speed fitted mech! Im russian afterall! I like supreme firepower!

So the problem is that 5 speed mechs will kill 5 tanked mechs even without taking damage. If there is ewars to catch them they will be killed first with one focused alpha. Meh, do not want! Only zenith have chances to stop them, but he will be killed first for sure.

I want to play as I want to, not as everybody else forcing me because of imbalanced mechanics!

24 (edited by Phalanx 2011-03-31 10:29:40)

It has always vexed me that fully fitted lights and assaults are not 'hands down' faster than mechs.  I had always envisioned assaults to be high speed attack. As it stands now, assaults are a poor man's speed mech. In some cases, a fully fitted assault is slower than a mech.

Just as lights became viable with the introduction of mask/detect, so I would like to see Assaults have a 'needed role' besides what I see as Second String.

Anti-Ewar in pitched battle would make sense. They only need more speed to be efficient.

25 (edited by Alexander 2011-03-31 10:46:02)

Kristan Delorian wrote:

*Snip*What tanks mechs are made for? They are useless at PvP. The only one situation they are in use is Intrusions. But I dont want to use speed fitted mech! Im russian afterall! I like supreme firepower!

*Snip*

I want to play as I want to, not as everybody else forcing me because of imbalanced mechanics!

Either you've not been playing properly or haven't fought with good tanked robots. 5 tanked mechs will not catch 5 speed mechs but 5 speed mechs will not kill 5 tanked mechs. Or they shouldn't unless the tanked mechs are totally idiots and don't play with any tactics. If this does become a larger issues than just Fail of York failing then I could see LWF reducing optimal ranges of all modules by 10%. Right now it's not an issue. Tanking mechs as a defence without any tackle will mean you don't get a kill and someone puts a few holes in your armour. Think outside the box a little. If you only have DPS mechs then where are your tackle? If you can use a mech you can probably use an Ewar. And no 5 speed mechs will not instantly volley an ewar unless the ewar is stupid too.

Also, rather than just "Q.Q I want to be a big brute tanked thing and kill everything but I can't because they run away.." suggest an improvement. Slowing down speed fitted robots doesn't make sense. Reducing speed fitted robots effectiveness would make a difference but it's not needed.

It sounds like the stupid fighting the stupid right now. Just because this game fires for you doesn't mean it also navigates, uses terrain and keeps you alive by itself. The tactics in this game are less about fitting and more about applying a fitting to a situation. If you're only good in one or two situations then don't use that setup for something it's not intended to do.

Speed range vs Tank range. If you don't have tackle on the tanked gang you won't kill anything. Roams will always favour speed and range and tanked is best around outposts or for intrusions where the enemy will be getting close and personal.
At the end of the day you need to fit and use what's needed for that situation.

The Game