Topic: Medium machine gun

Why is the hit dispersion so bad on these? it is the worst out of all turrets based weapons. It should be at least 10 instead of 12, puts it along side the worst of the others and drop the autocannon down to 9.

People will probably say its this way because of its rate of fire, but it doesn't matter how fast you fire if you cant hit anything with it, talking about hitting assualts and light bots here not other mechs.

Re: Medium machine gun

They arn't made for hitting lights/assaults?

They are also different to generate some variance in how robots are fit.

Also -

Autocannon - 215% Dmg per 8 seconds

Machinegun - 160% Dmg per 4 seconds

If the Dispersion was the same, no one would ever fit auto cannon because the MG would always do more damage. If you drop the Disp down on all of them, they become too powerful against smaller targets, and the dmg would need to be reduced to rebalance.

There is a long running thread about Mech vs. Light bot balance in PVP. If your farming in PVE, its simpler, use an assault to farm assaults/lights and a mech to farm mechs/assualts, and heavy mech to farm Heavy Mech/Mechs. Keep in mind, some of the PVE groups are created intentionally so that you have to have more than 1 player to farm them effciently. For instance, there is a group outside of HHO on beta with Mechs and EW; the EW pwn any solo Mech player trying to farm, ECC and demob while the NPC mechs blow the crap out of them. Add in even 1 assault to take out the EW and its doable. Everything is easier with more players, but somethings are not meant to be doable solo.

If you like the HP and acc of the Heavy mech for farming assaults, mount a mix of small and med weapons.

And the short range laser  starts off with a hit dispersion of 8 doesn't do as much damage but with lvl6 or 7 in precision firing gets it down to roughly 6.5 whereas the machine gun is at 9.5 thats a huge amount when hitting smaller bots. And no i don't want to fit lasers as use a tyrannos, just want machine guns to be a little better against smaller bots, like the lasers or even close to the magnetic weapons

I do use an assualt to farm assaults and smaller, but its nice to take the mech out every now and then.

why dont you want to use lasers then?

"i want to use weapon X so make them as good as weapon y" is a weak argument.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I didnt say i wanted them to be as good as lasers i said i would like them to be a little better seeing as they are an unbonused weapon, whereas the others also get damage bonus for fitting to there racial mech.

your actually asking about reducing one of the two disadvantages of that weapon,

which advantage do you want to trade it for?
- lowest fitting costs
- lowest AP consumption
- lowest market price (research t4 from drone kernels)
- lowest Extension cost
- lowest cycletime
- Best DPS, even without any bonus.
- Ammotypes.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Tolkenmoon wrote:

And the short range laser  starts off with a hit dispersion of 8 doesn't do as much damage but with lvl6 or 7 in precision firing gets it down to roughly 6.5 whereas the machine gun is at 9.5 thats a huge amount when hitting smaller bots. And no i don't want to fit lasers as use a tyrannos, just want machine guns to be a little better against smaller bots, like the lasers or even close to the magnetic weapons

I do use an assualt to farm assaults and smaller, but its nice to take the mech out every now and then.

Why do all weapons have to do similar amounts of damage to all targets?

In some games your allowed to change your set up depending on the situation you find yourself in, Perpetuum makes you choose everything but your ammo before you undock. They purposely make you think about what your going to be doing and fit accordingly. There are more generic things you can do that will be OK for any encounter, but you can also fit against a certain scenrio and get a big advantage.

I'm doing an experiment fitting Medium lasers on an assualt bot. One complaint I had was there are no mechs on alpha, but I was wrong, I ran into a rookie mech last night, and that Med weapon kicked butt on it. Now, in assault vs assaust/light PVE the Med laser just eats up accumulator and does about the same DPS (damage averaged over time) as one of the small lasers.

If you want to use your mech, that's cool, maybe you could experiment too with fitting small guns, or a mix of small and med. It takes a lot of bonus damage to make up for a 50% to 67% miss rate due to precision, so even unbonused small weapons on a mech that acutally hit are usefull.

Someone else suggested to me about fitting med guns on the assualt, which from an EP stand point would be much quicker, but I saw those dispersion rates and dismissed it. One of the reasons is that most of my other EP is in laser skills, but if I was gun specialized, it would have been a better fit for the assualt vs. mech scenerio.

TL;DR

Don't get too obsessed with certain fits, there are lots of choices, some are just better than others; and the success of the fits depends on the scenrio you apply them too.

Happy hunting. And I'd like to see someone do the experiment in reverse, Mech with small to counter my Assault with Med.

you can tell how good a weapon type is by how much its used. Guns in general get used a LOT on kains and artemis and their heavy counterparts.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."