Topic: Molecular stabiliy runs out before syndicate protection

I undocked from a terminal and my instability ran out before my protection did. I thought it was supposed to be the other way round.
Done this twice now from same terminal, currently docked at a Beta terminal I haven't noticed if it happens from other terminals.

Re: Molecular stabiliy runs out before syndicate protection

Yeah, I've also encountered this one (Nauwy Outpost).

M2S - There is no arguing with the barrel of a gun.

Ok now I know what is happening. When I undock from terminal the molecular instability and protection timers start to count down then a few seconds later the protection timer resets and starts counting down again. So it lasts longer than the instability timer.

This happens from all terminals, but not on teleports.

I've noticed this as well and it does appear to be only terminals.

The Game

can anyone confirm this one? or add some more detail about this issue?

I've noticed this as well. I may be wrong in this assumption, but it seems as though Molecular Instability begins the moment you hit undock, whereas Syndicate Protection doesn't begin until you actually load the zone and appear on the terrain. Those with slower computers will take longer to load, and therefore will have their MI wear down before SP shows up.

7 (edited by Campana 2011-02-15 21:04:23)

I've noticed this happening a time or two. Sometimes when I undock or teleport, my screen flickers while loading. It happened to that waspish that undocked into the middle of us on Domhalarn the other day...his protection and instability were ticking down so as to end at the same time. If he hadn't moved, he would have survived.

I think Jsands is right, the instability and the protection load based on different parameters.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

8 (edited by Dromsex 2011-02-15 19:00:34)

JSands wrote:

I've noticed this as well. I may be wrong in this assumption, but it seems as though Molecular Instability begins the moment you hit undock, whereas Syndicate Protection doesn't begin until you actually load the zone and appear on the terrain. Those with slower computers will take longer to load, and therefore will have their MI wear down before SP shows up.

Can confirm this behaviour - when i undock for the first time after the game started, it takes a while with my machine - on this first undockings the MI is long gone before SP is still there for like40-60%.

On each following undock - the loading goes much faster (pre-cached resources) and MI aswell as SP are kinda as they should be.

Always happens for me.  I thought it was a feature.

Yes it probably is, so that slower players with slower machines cant be insta popped before seeing anything.

Protection and instability are applied at different times and there is a loading delay between them. This causes some people to find their protection runs out sooner than expected and some peoples protection lasts longer.

It's annoying and I'd rather have the 5 second window of opportunity put back.

The Game

it seems to me like the molecular starts when you undock but the syndicate starts when you load outside the station. More undocking lag = a longer undock protection. I've seen this manipulated to give safe undocks. Previously you had a set 5 seconds to kill a target before redocking but that is definitely no the case any more.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Could this be manipulated, undock and unplug network cable to delay the start of the protection?

Maybe it would be better to just cascade the timers so there is always a minimum 5 second delay before you can redock regardless of the load time; and retain of course that protection drops immeditaly if you take any action, move or activate module.