Topic: Enhance Disconnect AI

My suggestion would be to enhance the AI of the system when a disconnect occurs.  I've lost two castels when engaged in PvE because of disconnects and I can't help but think that just the tiniest bit of AI would have kept them alive until I was able to reconnect.  In the interest of fairness, this would likely only apply to PvE (so if another player has a lock on me then that's just too bad.)  I know this must be a problem for a limited number of subscribers or there would be more posts about it. 

I realize no solution is trivial but perhaps you'd consider having the bot flee for 30 seconds from the nearest (or locked) mob?  That wouldn't save the bot every time but it would probably exceed the aggro range of most of the spawns.  Or simply activate armor repair systems?  That might keep the bot alive long enough to reconnect and flee the area.

I'm simply looking for a chance to not lose a bot (and, more importantly, the modules) when I disconnect.

I've established the disconnect is not a LAN or ISP issue and, while I have a great internet connection, I am a long way from the game servers--14 hops at last count.  The suggestion to "get in a squad" is good but doesn't always work for me.  I realize that not playing is an option but this game has promise and I'm trying to find a way to make it work.

Re: Enhance Disconnect AI

Unfortunately it's just too exploitable because you can disconnect yourself on purpose to save your bot in any critical situation, making you virtually invulnerable due to Logoffski.

Blink wrote:

Or simply activate armor repair systems?

I think this is what you could expect at the very most, though it's still unlikely to be implemented as a feature.

Bakers trade recipes on a knead to know basis.

The fix to this would be to fix the disconnects, not spend the time on this 'solution' that simply aims to ignore the fact that there are still disconnects and crashes.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Thanks for the replies. 

There's no doubt that fixing the disconnects would be the best option.  I've seen only a few posts on the forums and a couple of people mention losing bots to lag (or disconnects) in general chat while I've been online.  It does seem that the vast majority of people don't have much problem with high lag or disconnects otherwise there'd be more posts.  I'd be the first to acknowledge a LAN/ISP issue (they do happen) but I've played a lot of online games over the years and the disconnects that aren't clearly caused by server-side issues are few and far between in my experience.

Which made me wonder whether the disconnect problem is harder to solve then an approach to handle disconnects.  Other games (that rhyme with stEVE) have a warp to safe spot in one minute if possible (i.e., not scramed) upon disconnect (I think it's 60 seconds--it's been awhile.)  Something along those lines doesn't seem undoable.  My experience is limited--I'm talking about mission mobs at this point in time and would hesitate to do anything to upset the PvP balance because that's almost certainly a team activity anyway.

As such, I wouldn't advocate anything exploitable (although perhaps I'm too naive in my approach to the "AI" concept.)  I simply suggest making the bot do what it would normally do for 30-60 seconds after a disconnect whether that be run away or activate defenses (although I heavily favor the run away mentally the way I currently play.)  If my bot is demob x3 and under attack by 5 bots and can't get away in 30-60 seconds--so be it.  I'd die anyway and that's fine.  But dying to one equal level bot is nuts....

I wonder if it would work to create a number of pre-determined safe spots so that the bot would immediately begin moving towards the nearest safe spot when a disconnect occurs.  The AI for moving is well-established and any hinderance wouldn't be removed.  I guess I would advocate starting the 60/120 second logoff timer when the bot reached that "safe" zone.

I'll also allow for the distinct possibility that higher level mob AI invalidates this idea (I'm only familiar with the level 2 missions.)  The concept  of "running to a safe spot" is somewhat pointless if level 4 mission mobs follow you across the zone.

In conclusion (because I'm in serious danger of TLDR), the disconnect problem is troubling at this point but isn't necessarily a game breaker with a Castel...but the idea losing a Waspish or better to a disconnect that isn't my fault in another month concerns me a great deal.

Thanks for your time.

well it would be nice to have a solution to the disconnect before people start losing heavies/expensive modules to it. i lost a castel already[which is a meh but whatever] if i start losing expensive stuff i will be really annoyed

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

I'm agree with the OP. Even a dumb AI would be better than nothing. If it just continue shooting or flee away or activate shield or armor repair it could greatly diminish the impact of random disconnect.

Without any immune and agressive AI ( tracking target) it could work in pvp too.
A working timer (something like 30 45 or 60 sec) will prevent it from any abuse I guess and let time to reconnect and fight again.

I've never played a MOG without any disconnection. It could be some server issues, some provider problem or even the thunder (or the little brother who plays with an electric outlet).
In those cases loosing an high valuable bot is a crappy thing because it's not our fault!

Players who think it isn't a real problem just need to lose 1 bot. And it will happen.