Topic: Email change and/or non-email login

I honestly have no idea what forum section this belongs to so I'll post it here.

I have just joined Perpetuum, and I was a bit careless with the email address I used because I was certain I would be able to change it. But so far I haven't seen such an option (point me to it if I simply haven't found it).

The email is also our login. This isn't that popular of a game yet, but nevertheless it's a security issue, especially how easily one can reset the password. Email addresses are often used in various places and can leak with certain services - they're not that hard to find. Therefore, one would want to have a pretty secure email address; in my case, I prefer to have an address entirely devoted to the MMO in question (I have one for Blizzard Entertainment, for instance). It's important IMO to give us control over which email address is responsible for our account.

I request that you consider one of these options, preferably both:
- let us change our email address/login;
- let us make a special login with which nobody else can see, unrelated to our email address.

Re: Email change and/or non-email login

/signed

Using email address for login may make it easier for some to remember but having unique identifiers not linked to the email address is definitely a more secure option.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Yea, its completely dumb to use an email as log in.

We've already had incidents where people have been able to discover other peoples user name, and therefore their email address, and therefore their facebook profile.. and therefore personal details which has been used for malicious intent.

Dont understand why devs cant realise this tbh, and why the decision was ever made.  Probably just a lazy quick solution which one day they will be forced to change.

Suggested this a long time ago. Email for security and news letters and a username for log in.

Should have been this way from the start. It would also then allow unlimited accounts to be made per email address. big_smile HURRAY.

The Game

Usernames shouldn't be used aswell!
Just write down the names of all the people who have joined a channel. The only thing you then have to do is to guess/brute force attack their password. The way some people choose their password makes guessing the passwort sometimes very easy.

auster wrote:

Just write down the names of all the people who have joined a channel. The only thing you then have to do is to guess/brute force attack their password. The way some people choose their password makes guessing the passwort sometimes very easy.

Wut? You can have three characters. Character names have nothing to do with usernames. For instance I have Alexander and Alexandra to which their usernames could be "slartibartfast1" and "slartibartfast2".

You'd never know.

The Game

/signed

Yes please!

Alexander wrote:
auster wrote:

Wut? You can have three characters. Character names have nothing to do with usernames. For instance I have Alexander and Alexandra to which their usernames could be "slartibartfast1" and "slartibartfast2".

You'd never know.

Your usernames have been exposed. For your accounts safety I recommend you change these immediately. Currently you are at risk as one of the two factors we use for authentication is now readily available on the internet.

Please, tread lightly.

Best regards,
GLiMPSE

I just wasted 25 bucks buying a 3 month subscription.  Instead of the subscription code coming to my email address, it went to the email address/user name for the account I was trying to subscribe.  WHY IN THE WORLD CAN'T WE CHANGE OUR EMAIL ADDRESS?  You lose your email address or lose access to it, then you lose your account?  no no no.  I'll end up leaving if this can't be fixed and I do NOT want to leave.  I sent an email asking to change the email address yesterday, but haven't gotten a reply.

This is very disheartening.  This great game will lose a percentage of players due to this problem.

I'm gonna have to dispute the charge with my credit card company, if this isn't fixed. sad

Ziftar wrote:

I just wasted 25 bucks buying a 3 month subscription.  Instead of the subscription code coming to my email address, it went to the email address/user name for the account I was trying to subscribe.  WHY IN THE WORLD CAN'T WE CHANGE OUR EMAIL ADDRESS?  You lose your email address or lose access to it, then you lose your account?  no no no.  I'll end up leaving if this can't be fixed and I do NOT want to leave.  I sent an email asking to change the email address yesterday, but haven't gotten a reply.

This is very disheartening.  This great game will lose a percentage of players due to this problem.

I'm gonna have to dispute the charge with my credit card company, if this isn't fixed. sad

Lol, i love it when people threaten to dispute things with credit card companies.

It's like getting beat up at a bar then saying "i am going to sue you"

While I agree with your message... you sound like a weak human being.

11 (edited by Spacial 2011-01-13 19:28:56)

/signed

How many people use the same password to log into the game as they do to log into the email address they use for the game? I would guess somewhere around 90%, and at least 50%.  Finding email addresses is like taking candy from a baby. As far as security, the email address to begin with is sent unencrypted and therefore reveals half of the security of an account every time you log in to the site or the game.

To keep any account as secure as possible, the username part of the log in should be just as, if not more, secret than the password. The password can always be changed. The username, well, probably won't see this change as it is rare and more difficult to implement. this is why you don't usually use an email adress for such things as you generally cannot change these things without manually editing the database.

I am considering making a new account due to this issue, honestly.

I can't imagine how many accounts they've lost due to this issue. sad

Why is it only CIR that have somehow failed?

Stop using fake email addresses. It's an issue but it's meant to make multi-accounting more hard (Which didn't CIR ask for at one point? Maybe it was someone else).

I do agree that we should have usernames instead of email addresses and we should be given the option to change our username to something other than our email address just like changing the password. wink

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Stop using fake email addresses.

Eh? My email is not fake, it's just not very secure.

Alexander wrote:

It's an issue but it's meant to make multi-accounting more hard

Didn't realize Perpetuum was against multi-accounting. Doesn't seem like people are having trouble doing it. If you saw my thread, you'd know I'm against having multiple accounts and you may want to check out my spark... doesn't make sense with multiple accounts at all.

Alexander wrote:

Which didn't CIR ask for at one point? Maybe it was someone else.

No idea, I'm new to CIR.

So I found where you can change your email on the forums... keeps telling me I have the wrong password, though (works everywhere else). I guess it's a forum feature they forgot to remove.

Yup, it has no effect.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

I blocked the feature to avoid confusion. I haven't figured out how to remove the link yet >_<

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

/signed

Please allow us to change our emails.