1 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-01-09 21:03:23)

Topic: PVP corps and players vs. PVE corps and players

There is a general mutual prejudice between those who play MMOs for PVP content, and those who play for PVE content.    Accusations fly, such as "carebear", or "you'll drive the majority of players away" if a game mechanic favors nonconsenual PVP, or there "should be no reward without risk". 

There seems to multiple flavors in between the two extremes.  Some "PVP" beta rsidents are more concerned about "PVE" activity, and safe guarding it.  Other "PVE" corps will sometimes go to beta islands to stealth minerals or kernals, and are willing to accept the risks involved.

The surprising thing, if you look at the dynamics involved, is that there is significant crossover between the two "poles" of PVE and PVP.  Organizing groups of ppl, logistics of transporting raw materials and product, production and research, require the same coordination regardless of corp orientation.  Beta island "PVP" corps still have to mine, ship and produce just like the "PVE" corps.

The difference that really defines a PVP corp from a PVE corp is this - the PVP'er activitly like to compete against another player, instead of against an AI.  Now, there are lots of forms of PVP, not just shoot the other guy.  Market PVP can be brutal, with trying to dominate the market, or some niche of it.  But this still involves conflict with other players.

As Hemingway stated:

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." (from 'On the Blue Water' in Esquire, April 1936) .

Yes, an MMO should have PVE content for those who prefer teamwork that does not involve direct conflict with other players.  But in a sandbox MMO, the greater the risk, not just from NPCs, the greater the rewards need to be.  PVP is what adds that risk, and also provides fodder for epic forum posts, and adds that level of excitement.  PVE provides the materials that supplies the PVPers.

Discuss!

NOTE TO MODERATORS AND POSTERS - please leave the trolling at the door, keep discussion based on non-spurious arguements, back up assertions with data.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Re: PVP corps and players vs. PVE corps and players

What is there to discuss here?

Bael wrote:

What is there to discuss here?

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

But in a sandbox MMO, the greater the risk, not just from NPCs, the greater the rewards need to be.  PVP is what adds that risk, and also provides fodder for epic forum posts, and adds that level of excitement.  PVE provides the materials that supplies the PVPers.

You might think that that part is completely wrong.

Basically, PvP should have an equivalent reward? If so, I expect kill mails or similar will be satisfactory.

My 2 nic worth

What whould the 'PVE' players be doing if beta island didn't exist and they were populated with AI 'faction' or some such?
      They would have mining operations, harvesting ops and probably some combat 'ratting/kernal' ops.

So the only difference is that the AI is replaced by other players. So my suggestion is do what you would normally do. find the tactics used my the mobs (the pvp players) and defend against them.

It seems to me that people only complain about pvp'ers because they are harder to beat than the AI.

If the PVE players want 'high level' endgame content what would be the point of programming a 'difficult' AI just to have it camped and not really provide a challenge. this is used in most of the 'other' mmos just to pad peoples wallets. The high level endgame can't get much more high level than other players.

Oh and just for the record I PVE, I PVP, not in PO yet as my toon isn't ready, but most of the time I cannot see why people have this argument.

Cheers

End

6 (edited by Annihilator 2011-01-10 03:12:22)

Quote myself from other topic

Annihilator wrote:

But as it is now, i dont have any hopes for the PvE side of the game, unless they introduce mission-instances and a RTS based AI with a kind of route-finding algorithm.

To answer your question Enduser - one of the problems is, that farming the AI robots needs a completely different equipment then fighting in PvP.

for example, NPC dont use active hardeners, they also dont have any extension bonus, neuts/draining doesnt work against AI and the average low speed and combat range of AI makes it easy to farm them.

That gives the attacker nearly always the advantage in PvP.

another major point that you can see on Perpetuum is - the active PvP nerds are nearly all in the same corp or alliance, not fighting against each others but bashing on the non-PvP player and asking the DEVs to implement more options to "force" everyone into PvP.

no risk no reward - if you collect all the best PvP players in one corp, your reward is that you wont have any opponent to your liking.

(sidenote: if your main goal in the game, is to destroy others fun in the game, thats also not beneficial)

edit:

Enduser Archaeon wrote:

What whould the 'PVE' players be doing if beta island didn't exist and they were populated with AI 'faction' or some such?

they would still be called "Beta islands" because they are named after the "Beta Terminals".

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Reminds me of those free UO servers i used to play

you could say an MMO has 'PvP content'  of which PO has a great deal of and I assume the intention is to discuss the balance between pve and pvp content.

In fact, any Pve content currently implemented into PO eventually pushes you to the beta islands in order to progress (e.g. higher level missions) this means that, even if your a Pve player, you must still learn the rules of PvP in order to survive on the beta island.

Personally I agree with Hemingway, once you start competing directly (as opposed to in-directly) with other human players the predictable patterns of AI becomes mundane.

However a game, no matter how you regard it, is a business which either grows or contracts.  (no business truly 'flat-lines', it does either grow or contract no matter the margin) Generally with MMO's the larger customer base are the pve players therefore it makes sense to implement additional Pve content to attract those customers

Pvp can get stressful by its very nature, so I'm a firm believer that any pvp mmo must have its pve outlets, to relax and regenerate the nerves.

i look forward to seeing if PO continues to push its player base to the pvp 'beta islands' or if it strikes a balance between the two.

Enduser Archaeon wrote:

My 2 nic worth

They would have mining operations, harvesting ops and probably some combat 'ratting/kernal' ops.

So the only difference is that the AI is replaced by other players. So my suggestion is do what you would normally do. find the tactics used my the mobs (the pvp players) and defend against them.

It seems to me that people only complain about pvp'ers because they are harder to beat than the AI.

If the PVE players want 'high level' endgame content what would be the point of programming a 'difficult' AI just to have it camped and not really provide a challenge. this is used in most of the 'other' mmos just to pad peoples wallets. The high level endgame can't get much more high level than other players.

Oh and just for the record I PVE, I PVP, not in PO yet as my toon isn't ready, but most of the time I cannot see why people have this argument.

Cheers

End

thats actually part of the problem there your agent isnt ready to pvp because you are not ready. once combat starts extentions have far less role than attitude and knowldge

Ekim wrote:

thats actually part of the problem there your agent isnt ready to pvp because you are not ready. once combat starts extentions have far less role than attitude and knowldge

while normally we'd fight to the death over the color of the sky lol , I find myself agreeing with him. this mindset and the lack of, and the "not wanting to have any of" knowledge is the primary issue in most cases.

what you lack in extension or equipment, you have to compensate with tactic or numbers...

which leads to the hated "blobbing"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

well that's a whole different argument smile

Annihilator wrote:

what you lack in extension, equipment, tactics, and skill, you have to compensate numbers...

which leads to the hated "blobbing"

fixed that for you

Enduser Archaeon wrote:

My 2 nic worth

Cheers

End

There you go believing all the M2S forum hype.  I can tell you this right now, all of the best pvp'ers are not only in m2s. And if you havent looked at the politics of the beta islands lately, I'll tell you simply that it's 1v1v1. Wouldn't be much fun if 2 alliances ganged up on the other. I think it was engineered this way by people way smarter then me, but I'm glad that it's this way as there's usually no lack of pvp on our island, and if there is we have two other choices to go to.

For those of you who think "I'm not ready" for pvp I can attest to the fact that, and maybe even moreso then Eve, this game requires you to use your mind more then your exensions. Granted, someone could have a small edge on you with extensions, but being able to compete isnt always down to who has 3% more range or damage or speed. You would also assume that your fittings make a huge diffrence -- and they do make some -- but the diffrence between standard and tier 4 CAN be negated by using in game mechanics such as terrain to your advantage. Setting up your gang in the right place, or running in the hills and many other advantages can be had by paying attention to your surroundings in game. THAT to me is what makes this game so much fun. Having that one more person in a light bot that knows what they're doing can turn the tide of a battle for your favor.

Theres a serious lack of pvp on hokk.  Devs please fix asap.

->You just lost The Game<-

16 (edited by Adom 2011-01-11 02:19:03)

Neoxx wrote:

Thanks to m2s we dont have to travel daily for 30mins to find pvp. Sorry, you made us lazy lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism … ifferences

The rest is in your head.:P

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Adom wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

Thanks to m2s we dont have to travel daily for 30mins to find pvp. Sorry, you made us lazy lol

DAMNIT!!!!  mad

->You just lost The Game<-

19 (edited by Kyr 2011-01-11 06:13:24)

Annihilator wrote:

To answer your question Enduser - one of the problems is, that farming the AI robots needs a completely different equipment then fighting in PvP.

for example, NPC dont use active hardeners, they also dont have any extension bonus, neuts/draining doesnt work against AI and the average low speed and combat range of AI makes it easy to farm them.

That gives the attacker nearly always the advantage in PvP.

surprise maybe outnumbering is PVP attacker bonus i agree

u can disable that with a working teleporter scout system

i cant agree about the different fitting......

as u said NPC are easy

so i allways hunt them in my PvP LWF fitting

whenever PvP is reported im allready in a PvP ready Mech

and with 70+ speed also have the dock up option too if needed

im not a slow easy target

<<< REAL POWER CAN NOT BE GIVEN, IT MUST BE TAKEN >>>

Kyr - Perpetuum Online
Helios Norlund - Darkfall Online