Topic: Newbie feedback: Combat assignments are fundamentally broken, other qs

So I've started less than a month ago with intention to do combat assignments however I hit brick wall right at the start and it seems whole combat assignment system is fundamentally broken, here's why (in my opinion):

Scalability - rewards don't scale at all, combat 2,3,4 rewards are pretty much the same. Now it wouldn't be that big of a deal but difficulty scales completely differently starting combat 4 missions is like hitting a brick wall when combat 2,3 mission are sleep inducing combat 4 missions is pretty much instant death and aggro by multiple bots. Now assignments also don't scale per terminal, where in one terminal combat 3 missions are piece of cake (Daoden, dari shoto terminal in my case) and in the other one (Tellesis) are pretty much impossible.

Approach - now since I was getting wrecked I decided to wait a bit and gear up then try to tackle the situation, 1 week later I've geared my mk2 with pretty much full t4 and decided to try outrange my enemies. Now here's the fun part if you do outrange, kite and manage to kill the enemy I still don't get the credit because I didn't kill it in the red circle region, which is pretty much impossible with this tactic and it seems the only viable way of killing bots without waiting few months for ep to generate.

lack of variety - There are like 4 different missions in every terminal and they are pretty much more or less the same variation : go to X, kill/scan X, loot X, TRAP, repeat.
which gets dull really fast and since scalability is so inconsistent you either sleep or die.

Now because of these 3 problems and how EP system works ( I understand that it's a core game feature and can't be changed in a big way ) you hit a brick wall really wast where you can't progress anymore, you can earn money but you don't have any way to improve yourself, there are very few bots and affording mk2 assault bot with full fit takes you 5 days of grind. At that point you either sit in the terminal waiting for ep to generate and playing dead market games.

Despite all this I still enjoy the game, I like the esthetics and for the most part it's pretty damn fun, but there just isn't much to do if you want to indulge in solo activities when it comes to combat. I did think about trying out ratting but when multiboxing is so much more efficient motivation to just dies right there. Is it worth giving it a go?

I also thought of re-rolling to something indy or logistics related, but that means already dropping this account which is a shame since I already bough a month for it and it will disappear (as far as I understand) on april 2nd if I don't extend it further. Either way what alternatives would you recommend where progression wouldn't solely rely on EP?

I apologize for not so refined wall of text, but I would like to make up my mind about this before investing more money than necessary.

Re: Newbie feedback: Combat assignments are fundamentally broken, other qs

Artifact hunting?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

3 (edited by Celebro 2014-03-26 18:45:42)

Since you have just scratched the surface on EP spending , changing direction now won't make a big impact in the long term, though it all depends what you would enjoy more. With another account it is a good time to start farming spawns, and avoid all the walking around, as it would get tiring for anyone.

As for the assignments, you are right, it is not completed yet, game was changed to random missions from multiple choice kind before. Therefore they lack missions to fit every lvls so they mixed and match the best they can, but they have not completed the whole mission overhaul just yet. Although after Steam that is next in their to do list.

RIP PERPETUUM

Not to be offensive but its who your doing it with. I'd your online later I'll take you through some other higher end stuff.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

Not to be offensive but its who your doing it with. I'd your online later I'll take you through some other higher end stuff.

well so far I'm mostly looking for solo content. I did a lot of raids, premade battlegrounds in wow and don't really want to push myself in some sort of schedule where exactly at 8pm I have to be there and do that to achieve some sort of result or satisfaction.

Of course, you just need to have a look at the content outside of missions such as beacons, artifacting and high level rat spawns.

The best way to do this is do something on a casual basis with us and armed with that knowledge you can enjoy more of the game solo.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Listen to Jita little one his wisdom will guide you to greater things. ^^

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Tbh, high level rat spawns, beacons, and even artie huntie doesn't decline the fact that there is lack of pve content. You might try and look for storyline missions if they are still exist, those are interesting at least.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Thank you your feedback. The game is still dont have good PVE content, as Celebro mentioned before they are going to add more after STEAM release.
But after that still the game wont be to SOLO players because this game is about teamplay.

I recommend to you buy 2 another month and then you will have the game at apr. 2. so after that you can easily decide you would play more or not. But you will have the game.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Generally very good summary of existing problems with missions. I hope devs are paying very close attention to this thread as it will replicate significantly with Steam.

As for Jita's mention of alternative PVE with beacons, I'm thinking that Dev's new NPC teleporting AI may be pre-mature. Given that Missions are generally broken, is it really a good idea to take away the beacon farming alternative? I'm all for improved AI and the pit is a broken feature, but it may be more appropriate to 'fix' with the improved missions. Whatever though, do whatever you gonna do Devs.

11 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2014-03-27 03:02:26)

And this is why after doing missions for 2-3 weeks, nearly 2 years ago for standings ive never done them again.... EVER.

12 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-03-27 04:16:01)

Homer J Simpson wrote:

And this is why after doing missions for 2-3 weeks, nearly 2 years ago for standings ive never done them again.... EVER.

This is kind of the problem.

New players will immediately turn to "quests" since most are trained to do this in other games, and attempt to use those as the main source of progression.

Assignments, at least to me, are just something to stack on to what im already doing, or if I feel the need to get tokens...nothing more.

If im going to mine an ore, and theres an assignment, why not?  Even if I park there for several hours.  Other than that, theres not much point to them.

Problem with a game like this, really any hardcore sandbox...metagame, diplomacy, corporations...that's the game...the rest is just grind/farming...

I feel new players are going to get the idea that they can spam assignments as a good way to progress...when they would probably be much better off just going off and farming stuff until their eyes bleed, get into a corporation to give reason for their efforts...and not even attempt to ease them in with assignments.

Im not sure what would be a better option for them.  Its going to be brutal when this goes live on steam and people pay $30 thinking they are getting a robot world of warcraft and end up with roboEVE.

Do assignments because you want beacons or ammo bought with tokens...or just want to have rewards....at least after your immediate entry into the game where that tiny amount of nic and guidance is needed.  Don't worry about relations or progressing with PVE factions.  Get into a corp, get some reasons to do stuff, then go do it...pick an assignment up if its convenient.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Scaling of assignments is a great problem. I still can remember how I got beaten first time I thought I'm ready for lvl2 assignment. And how easy same assignment got later when having some friends helping. And now with HM it would be no brain doing same assignment.
But a fair part of scaling depends on learning how to overcome which enemies the easy way. A lot  Npcs spots require a different tactic and therefore fitting depending on terrain, task and kind of NPC.
Doing T5 Battle assignments in HM MK2 is not really hard, but I guess at least one of those is near to impossible with Arbalest MK2.

I agree that current assignment system is somehow broken. Doing high level industrial assignments on alpha is hardly achieveable within 1h, doing T3-T4 transport requires often battle support while T5 transport assignments on alpha are peace of cake.

Stranger Danger wrote:

New players will immediately turn to "quests" since most are trained to do this in other games, and attempt to use those as the main source of progression.

Not necessarily a bad thing, and it's what players expect from the genre. Besides, even EVE has a myriad of PVE stuff to work through, well before players hit limits (in EVE's case, arguably having skill training take longer than 7-15 minutes to use required equipment).

As far as assignments and the game's design in general; it's one of the game's biggest faults: assuming that players will group up whenever a challenge (which usually can be attributed to poor game design, like your example with the kill circles) is presented to them. On top of that, picking up groups is hard (the 'pug experience'), even within corporations, and the rewards are abysmal.

This game does need a good collection of carefully planned and tested solo content to keep players long enough and get them invested in their character and equipment. That's when they'll have something to loose and the sandbox to help them loose it.

I think that is kinda key - assignments are not 'story mode' but are another method of earning nic. For gamers who are more used to the game providing the story rather than the gamer creating the story themselves this may cause issues.

If the mission revamp is not released very shortly after 4/2 & steam then I'm sure many people who come for the free beer with just go away again due to the lack of content.

There are many "free 2 play" games on the market that you dont need to shell out $30 bucks for, and most of them have much more content that perp does. I am seeing a lot of old faces coming back but I think even the game being free to play will not keep them playing because its more of a " I got better things to do with my time Issue" than anything else.

Time will tell ...

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.