Topic: Offline Death

So, to keep it short, I logged out in a safe area, not in a terminal, but with no baddies around, and when I logged back in I was in a starter bot in my home terminal.

I had been having some lag problems earlier, but not at the time I logged off.  No one knows my account info, and my computer is secure.  Anyway I can get some assistance recovering my stuff?  Nothing big, just a Waspish, 2 standard missile tuners, 5 standard missile launchers, 1 small standard armor rep, 1 standard armor plate, 1 standard small autocanon.

Re: Offline Death

NPC bots roam the area, last night I was 700m away from NPC bots and one of them moved towards one of my characters from 700m. And it kept doing it again and again. Some NPCs have very large aggro radius. Not locking radius, but they can 'see' you from very far distance move towards you, lock on and kill if you don't move.

Don't log out on the field. You might die.
Sorry, sounds like you need to buy a new Waspish. Life is harsh and a lesson has been learnt here.

The Game

I got that.  But when you log out how long does your bot stay in the world?  For a npc to move that far takes a minute.  If you log out correctly your bot shouldn't be just sitting in the world for 5 minutes.

Theres no lesson here.  Its not always practical to be able to get back to a terminal to log.  If you use the mechanisms that are given to you in the game you shouldn't get penalized.

If you safe log out and watch it finish your bot is taken off the field instantly.  If you instant logout your bot should disappear in a couple minutes, but I've seen them stay on the field for 30+ minutes.  There is no guarantee with instant logout.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Hm, anyway I logout it just quits the game and goes straight to the desktop.  Whether it by hitting the X in upper right, the recycle sign, or hitting escape and going to quit game, they all do the same thing, no prompt.

8 (edited by Arga 2010-12-20 23:10:10)

There is a logout button on the icon bar at the top of the screen, anything else just ends the application.

Edit: if your quitting the appliction to leave the game, your bot is going to stay on the field for a long time. The game thinks you are just disconnected and has a long time out to allow you to log back in; as Neoxx said, wouldn't surprise me if it was 30 minutes.

Gelethin wrote:

Hm, anyway I logout it just quits the game and goes straight to the desktop.  Whether it by hitting the X in upper right, the recycle sign, or hitting escape and going to quit game, they all do the same thing, no prompt.

Just think of the exploitability of being able to do this.  I'm surprised you could think that actually made your bot disappear.

I was so bored so I made you a picture.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

I clicked on the picture and was shocked and a little disappointed; I wasn't expecting something useful.  sad

Actually simply closing the client in a secure area should remove your robot from the terrain in 2 minutes. This is how it should work (I just tested it too to be sure), anything longer is to be considered a bug (except for DEV/GM bots, they stay there indefinitely).

I have had certain spawns chase me for over 1300m on Aplha.

Ever notice when you go to a spawn and all the bots are hugging a mountain? You can run down there and see nothing on the radar. They are agroing players outside of 1010m range.

Its not always as safe as it looks.

is there still that rule active that resets your logoff time whenever someone targets you?