Topic: Steam OS is coming!

Finally an operating system made for gamers! Long time waiting for this to happen.

Loads of potential here, it's linux based, but with the backing of Steam, many more games will support the platform now, and free the stranglehold from the monopoly that MS has on PC gaming.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Steam OS is coming!

its not what you think

this isn't a "drop windows for your pc" type of OS.

All it is, is a Linux based CONSOLE operating system for their upcoming steam box or whatever..its going to be so you can play steam games on their console.

You are not going to want to trash windows and all the functionality of your PC out the window and only play games on your PC...unless you do I guess.

if they can get some decent office software developers on steam (shouldn't be hard) and it has the ability to at least read MS office files...then ill gladly drop windows however.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Stranger Danger wrote:

its not what you think

All it is, is a Linux based CONSOLE operating system for their upcoming steam box or whatever..its going to be so you can play steam games on their console.

You are not going to want to trash windows and all the functionality of your PC out the window and only play games on your PC...unless you do I guess.

if they can get some decent office software developers on steam (shouldn't be hard) and it has the ability to at least read MS office files...then ill gladly drop windows however.

Gaming, for those that do it a lot, is like a hobby. I expect most people will have their existing gaming computing while having an excuse to buy a new shiny computer to run SteamOS.
I was looking to buy a media PC to replace the xBox 360 I currently use and this is the perfect excuse for me. This means getting the best of both worlds. New games that are focused on the SteamOS will run natively very well on the new SteamOS machine while older games can be streamed from the Windows PC to the SteamOS.

The new Steam Controller is designed to replace the keyboard and mouse for games that don't require more than 12+ key bindings. I can't see the SteamOS/Steam Machines/Steam Controller getting much of a foothold on the MMO market (Unless games are designed for it) but for general games it should be pretty cool.

Most, if not all, of my work can be done OS independent as we use Google Drive for documents (Not amazing but what it lacks in formatting/control it makes up for in document sharing and accessibility) and for any development work we each have a provided high spec VM.

I am pretty sure that over the next few years we'll see more indie and small companies start by designing games for Linux environments first as the development costs will be much cheaper and the consumer accessibility will be greatly increased with SteamOS being able to be thrown on top any machine with high enough specs to run it. With Steam being a viable publishing platform developers can connect to their customers, push out updates and spend more time on development than community managment.

But with all that said it won't be for everyone. Every company does what it does for money so for this venture to be marked a success and continued Value will need to see a profit from it.

I imagine you would just have a duel boot option on your pc

Something you might want to run on your HTPC. Will see how they pull it off.

6 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-09-30 01:25:29)

Stranger Danger wrote:

its not what you think

I don't think you fully understand what Linux is.  Linux is a complete OS.  It can do everything windows can do, and usually do it better. The only reason Linux is not mainstream is because most, if not all, linux builds are not fully GUI capable.  Meaning that to do some of the things that most people take for granted on windows must be done through a command line interface.  Meaning you must have a much deeper understanding of OS's to accomplish what you want. 

As of right now Linux is VASTLY superior to windows, if you know how to get it to do what you want it to do.  Windows is a bloated resource hog, and is very inefficient in many of its functions, not to mention the windows has a ridiculous amount of services and overhead running in the background that eats through a lot of system resources.  On top of this, Windows has massive security flaws, and linux is light years ahead of windows when it comes to security if set up correctly.  I am in no way trying to bash windows.  they have accomplished an incredible feat by making an OS that can work on millions of different hardware configurations.  but that does not mean it is the best thing out there.

Right now there are 2 things holding linux back as a gaming platform. 

1)  Device drivers.  Driver support for things like graphics cards and other things is atrociously bad.

2)  Directx.  For the past 15 years the large majority of games have utilized Microsoft Direct X package to design and implement graphics processing.  But with the announcement of Steam OS, Nvidia has stated that they will be drastically increasing there support for linux based systems utilizing there hardware, and if Steam OS gains traction AMD will also follow suite.  Right now there is an alternative to DirectX, its called OpenGL and it has one main advantage over Direct X and that is that it can be run on basically anything IE: Mac/Linux/Windows with little porting needed.  The problem is that no one uses it because the main gaming platform is windows.  Also, AMD has announced that the next gen consoles will be utilizing something called MANTLE.  It is a low level API that allows access to AMD vid cards at the hardware level.  This alone, will allow developers to make games much more efficient when utilizing AMD hardware, it will also have the added benefit of making porting games to other systems much easier.  You are right, in that, right now you wont abandon Windows.  In 3-5 years, things will be very different.  We are currently witnessing the start of a major change in the OS market, and Microsoft dominance will be challenged, and quite possibly broken.

I personally use Linux on my file server, media center and laptop.  And it is absolutely fantastic what you can do with it.

Edit:  there is plenty of office software and other programs for Linux,  and it is completely free.  Check out sourceforge, and linuxSoftware.org.  There are millions of free programs all developed by the linux/open source community that work great and have all the functionality that proprietary software has.

Wasn't this intended to essentially stream games to something a bit more lighter connected to your TV?

8 (edited by Burial 2013-09-30 22:35:25)

Doek wrote:

Wasn't this intended to essentially stream games to something a bit more lighter connected to your TV?

Correct, from what I gather it will be the OS running on Steam Machines. They have really cool controller too.

9 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-10-01 04:13:42)

Yes, it is a stripped down version of linux, but they have said that you will be able to add any modules or packages you want.  So theoretically you will be able to make it into anything you want.  Valve have also said that they intend for all of their games to run locally on the machine, and A lot of indie developers already support linux with there games.  When developers port a game to Mac, basically 90% of the work is already done, so porting it to linux isn't such a monumental task if you already offer Mac support.

Any idea what Linux distro it is based on?

11 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-10-01 14:53:05)

it's a brand new, custom Linux build.

Martha Stuart wrote:

it's a brand new, custom Linux build.

No, just no. Here, take a look at this diagram to see why the question is asked:

http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uplo … dt1210.png

13 (edited by Burial 2013-10-02 00:41:11)

Did some Googling.

...the operating system is a highly modified Debian Linux stripped to bare, with all its non-essentials tossed out, and proprietary multimedia CODECs added, along with fonts, runtime environments, and in-built drivers for popular GPU, sound card, and gaming-peripheral brands. In essence, there's everything in the operating system for PC gamers, and then some.

It's essentially nothing more than what you would want to run in your living-room entertainment box. Looks quite attractive though!

14 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-10-02 01:11:58)

Strange, cause this is what I found:

"The first announcement was made today as Valve unveiled Steam OS, a new custom Linux distribution, with a focus on gaming and Windows compatibility.  Valve says that much of the recent Windows software and game catalog will be supported writing"

There is also some rumors flying around that it will be a modified version of Ubuntu, because that is what they use for internal testing of the Steam platform, and Valve games.

No where have i found Valve confirming it is Debian.  It all seems to be conjecture at this point.  But since Ubuntu is built upon its architecture you are most likely right.

So has valve said how they streaming will work?  Is it similar to the Nvidia Shield?

From what I heard, it's similar. You have Windows/Mac PC and you can stream with it to your Steambox.

The console Killer

People who like to customize/tweak their gaming machines this is a God send, best of both worlds!

Celebro's body guard

Just confirming...

"Valve's SteamOS Not a Replacement for Windows 8"
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/steamo … 24994.html