1 (edited by Inda 2013-08-10 21:17:32)

Topic: Perpetuum need more PVP

Hello!

Now we really really less PVP than ever before!

Perpetuum is really good in PVP.

So we should think about what DEVs should do in short terms and with small efforts.

1 important thing I should say because I didnt find this before:

The Perpetuum PVP videos are so enjoyable (correct me if just for me). So the PVP is good with targeting, with module activating, with range fight, with teamplay, with fittings and so on. And the player made battle videos so enyojable (I still watch back the old battles, even I didnt employed). Just this 2 thing about Perpetuum is bring this game to one of the best gameplay I ever had in games.

My suggestion is to make something to be fighting for at Gamma or Beta now the people dont fight, just for ePeen what is not enough I think. Make moveable Gamma NPC farms or something. Like a roulette, 3 gamma islands have this "things" for 3 days (or any timeframe) and the players wil gain there more NIC or any nice items. And then another 3 ilsand will have this "things". And so on.

Easy and simple. (I hope)

If you have any idea feel free to share.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Re: Perpetuum need more PVP

Hey Inda   o/

Inda welcome to turtle online.  You too can own walls.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

well... matlan nearly killed one of his kains earlier roll

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

http://imgur.com/0qXk2cF

This is what farming Beta SAPs got me in 2 weeks...  PLUS I get PVP!!!

Some people play checkers, some play chess...  Once in a while you can find a guy playing GO.  The former is prey, the secondary is a teacher, and the latter is a general.

6 (edited by Sundial 2013-08-31 04:49:32)

PvP stopped happening with the drop in population and the start of walls / impenetrable fortresses of doom. Another factor in it was over reliance on vertical progression in terms of bot size, small bots simply have no role or viability in Perpetuum generally speaking (besides some of the mk2 ewar lights and dedicated detector bots). You either go big or go home, and no new group of players is going to go big.

Simply speaking each race has 3 viable bots for PvP (mech, hmech, ewar mech) and the mk2 variants (don't act like these are different bots they are simply vertical progression). There is no possible option for casual PvP for new players to have "fun roams" with any chance of killing anything even before you consider the low population. Obviously all this leads to PvP wise is stagnation and people leaving for greener pastures.

EDIT:

o/ Arga sorry for being a broken record after all these years in perp big_smile

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

7 (edited by Burial 2013-08-31 10:44:32)

What Sundial said is mostly true, but the situation is still salvagable.
- Make Betas more appealing
- Buff Assaults and light bots and other types of bots newbies are more likely to use

About the impenetrable fortresses of doom: They are not that impenetrable after the recent changes anymore so I'd say that got mostly fixed. Of course it doesn't mean a small group of players is able to do it when defences show up.

8 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-08-31 11:32:05)

Sundial wrote:

small bots simply have no role or viability in Perpetuum generally speaking (besides some of the mk2 ewar lights and dedicated detector bots)... Simply speaking each race has 3 viable bots for PvP (mech, hmech, ewar mech)

Burial wrote:

Buff Assaults and light bots and other types of bots newbies are more likely to use

It would be nice to see a well composed fleet having a good role for light combats and assault.

Whatever the solution if you come up against a fleet with lights and assaults the best counter needs to be to have lights and assaults of your own.

Maybe balance by increasing hit dispersion on medium weapons, reducing surface hit size, increase damage on small weapons or a bit of all three. Demob resistance bonus could work too. If you're going to be squishy you want to be able to run in, cause damage and run out again. Your speed is your advantage over your size.

EDIT: Oh, and this is not just to help new players. I think vets would like to see a role for smaller bots too, its nice to have the choice to vary your play style.

That's something I had in mind too, Ludlow. After that is done though, some hard shield tanker lights need to be re-looked.

10 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2013-08-31 12:03:29)

OptiKhan wrote:

http://imgur.com/0qXk2cF

This is what farming Beta SAPs got me in 2 weeks...  PLUS I get PVP!!!

is that all ? i got 49 in 3 & a bit weeks smile

At what the above few people have said. The big brawling fights are always remembered but IMoO it was all Light Bot & assault fights we had back when the game first came out & at random times later one.. these were the fights I enjoyed & still remember to this day smile

The sad part is this game rewards going big & doing this makes it harder for a new player to be able to fully enjoy what the game offers.

11 (edited by Sundial 2013-08-31 16:21:30)

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Sundial wrote:

small bots simply have no role or viability in Perpetuum generally speaking (besides some of the mk2 ewar lights and dedicated detector bots)... Simply speaking each race has 3 viable bots for PvP (mech, hmech, ewar mech)

Burial wrote:

Buff Assaults and light bots and other types of bots newbies are more likely to use

It would be nice to see a well composed fleet having a good role for light combats and assault.

Whatever the solution if you come up against a fleet with lights and assaults the best counter needs to be to have lights and assaults of your own.

Maybe balance by increasing hit dispersion on medium weapons, reducing surface hit size, increase damage on small weapons or a bit of all three. Demob resistance bonus could work too. If you're going to be squishy you want to be able to run in, cause damage and run out again. Your speed is your advantage over your size.

EDIT: Oh, and this is not just to help new players. I think vets would like to see a role for smaller bots too, its nice to have the choice to vary your play style.

Yep, there must be a way to give these bots some sort of role in fleet fights (and in smaller skirmishes where bigger bots are involved) besides cannon fodder.

Some basic questions:

1. Why don't small bots have a short and long ranged option like their larger counterparts and why are there no small weapons that shoot farther than medium weapons when configured a certain way / with a certain ammo (ie +50% range -50% damage ammo)?
2. Why are there no mechanics allowing for speed or size tanking (evasive mod is not enough) of smaller bots?
3. Why does the basic light combat bot only have 3 slots?
4. Why are lights / assaults barely any faster than mechs (10-15kph in most cases when both LWF fit)
5. Why do Perpetuum's aggression timers favor larger bots catching smaller bots waiting their 5 minute aggression timer after making a kill?

I watched a 4 or 5 bot heavy/mech fleet take 10 minutes straight to kill a troiar mk2.... Probly compared to an ERP Mezmer tbh... That seems pretty suitable for hanging in the fight wit the big dogs.

A small group of light ewar give heavy mechs fits.

Assbots could maybe use a bit of a buff, but lights are pretty badass as they are imo. And light ewars are probly my most enjoyable bot to fly.

Allthough in the end, a proper fleet of lights and assaults can take down heavies and mechs, just requires some coordination.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

I watched a 4 or 5 bot heavy/mech fleet take 10 minutes straight to kill a troiar mk2.... Probly compared to an ERP Mezmer tbh... That seems pretty suitable for hanging in the fight wit the big dogs.

A small group of light ewar give heavy mechs fits.

Assbots could maybe use a bit of a buff, but lights are pretty badass as they are imo. And light ewars are probly my most enjoyable bot to fly.

Allthough in the end, a proper fleet of lights and assaults can take down heavies and mechs, just requires some coordination.

Which light combat bot is viable for anything an assault can't to better? Or were you talking about light ewar?

I have run in assault bot / light ewar composition squads before with both velocity nexus and ewar nexus setup for stringing out larger bots and ganking them as well as any tackle, it worked quite well. I am not talking about niche setups and compositions though, its generally viability for normal game play being discussed.

Yes, the Troiar mk2 is good for what it does. That doesn't mean that the entire light/assault class of bots is balanced in a sensible way though.

14 (edited by Burial 2013-08-31 18:03:53)

That only applies to light EW. They generally are squishy but their range is good enough for not it to matter much. Troiar should be treated differently than other light ew bots though.

Prometheus, Yagel and Castel as a combat bots are laughable.

Both combat light and assault bots need a buff.

15 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2013-08-31 19:13:55)

if you want perpetuum to have more PvP at the current moment time only way i see that is if circle jerk coalition breaks up a corp or 2 from coalition, maybe corp that can hold their own on battlefield without Burial or 3-1 odds, like DoY roll

Not going to happen beast, only two sides.  Ever.

Ville wrote:

Not going to happen beast, only two sides.  Ever.

Styx

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

more pvp will be created by more conflict.

conflict will be created by more stuff to fight over.

stuff to fight over = new content / more players / change in current content / ,, something

online games are ment to be fluid and constantly changing ... when change doesn't happen it becomes stale (OBVIOUSLY)

played driven content can only go as far as the game mechanics allow fuuu

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Beastmode is right, that a lot ask here the devs to create a mechanic to bring back things the player destroyed, which is not reasonable.

Check killboard  for fights happening 1vs1, 3vs3 and fights happening with one side having the odds that clear, that its easier to destroy the bot on the weakside yourself in terminal, than undock and fight. There you will find first point to change something.

As long as this game has alpha, Pvp will not happen, if player prevent it to happen.

@ Goffer

1v1 2v2 3v3 and other "so called equal" fights are by chance... I can 1v1 any one and win because i have 10 accounts

1 player vs 1 player wink

Players make use of follows and alt ew pilots and other combinations because mechanics enable it.

you can as for huge battles and or small equal battles but the fact is that if you want pvp its always a gamble your taking because you will NEVER know what your opponent will bring plain and simple

devs need to focus on incentives for conflict with new content ...

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

No, the fact is there's 0 roaming pvp which most players liked.

Like I said before, make something to fighting for.

Maybe an NPC terminal what moves Gamma island after 3 day and your team has worth something after kill NPC-s. Every hour they deploy NPC-s and a container in it or something what can contain something really worth to have. Make this terminals rare let say 3/ all Gamma islands.

So the players can go there and earn something good and other players too I think that can cause PVP there.

Or any idea you have that cause PVP?

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda the roaming pvp is gone.   There's no logistics between stations, there's no one living not surrounded by safety nets.  The real lustor is gone in the randomness of pvp.  The only thing left is big groups or fighting for stations.  That's it bud.

Ville wrote:

No, the fact is there's 0 roaming pvp which most players liked.

This right here

This has been stated numerous times before.  Make Beta's important again and the roaming will come back.  The entire reason there was roaming PVP, pre gamma, was because the only place to get Epri was on Beta, so you had to mine it there.  If there are Indy's on Beta, then the combats will be there to defend them.  Then you will have roaming PVP back.  Until this changes there will be no roaming PVP.