1 (edited by Burial 2013-08-22 16:16:20)

Topic: New Reasons to live on Beta

Please write realistic bonuses and changes that would make living on beta more appealing to you.

- Manufacturing bonuses similar to Gamma MPC.
- Wild Noralgis
- Give Rank 5 NPCs very small chance to drop cortexes (Not beacon NPCs!)

Re: New Reasons to live on Beta

Cortex forge: probably require a small re-balance on cortex drops.
Ore Compressor: Convert raw material into PLs.
Assignments: picked up on alpha require to go to random beta with special rewards.
An exclusive raw material - maybe two, one mineral, one vegetable.

- wild Noralgis +1

The rest not so sure, we have SAP loot and best missions on Beta. Nothing industrial needed the difference between gamma is already minimal. Safety is much worse on beta that the main reason I think no one actually is living there, perhaps is players mentality where a blob can jump you at anytime from across the world.

RIP PERPETUUM

4 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2013-08-22 15:02:42)

Celebro wrote:

- wild Noralgis +1

The rest not so sure, we have SAP loot and best missions on Beta. Nothing industrial needed the difference between gamma is already minimal. Safety is much worse on beta that the main reason I think no one actually is living there, perhaps is players mentality where a blob can jump you at anytime from across the world.

Heres the question tho. Is beta to risky or can Gamma be made to safe ? smile

5 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-08-22 15:07:52)

Celebro wrote:

- wild Noralgis +1

Safety is much worse on beta that the main reason I think no one actually is living there.

Risk vs Reward. I think we've got get out of the idea of the prescriptive hierarchy that Alpha=safest, Beta=dangerous, Gamma=most dangerous, accept that it is the way it is and adjust reward accordingly. Sure you risk far more NIC and time/effort on gamma but once you're established you get so much time to react to losing your investment and have powerful structures to assist you that that doesn't balance the the constant danger on Beta of dieing at a moments notice for me.

Celebro wrote:

players mentality where a blob can jump you at anytime from across the world.

There's another thread for that. You might have seen it. smile

EDIT. @ Homer: maybe thats the point of gamma. Invest NIC, time, effort and make yourself a relatively safe environment. Why does it have to be more dangerous than Beta? You're risking something very different on gamma. I like that.

You risk losing your bot on Beta. You risk losing infinitely more on Gamma, depending on how much you put into it...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

you only have the illusion of savety on gamma. if you think you are save there. atm we just have to few players and thats why its a bit more save as it normaly should be.

and as already has been said. its a costly illuison of savety.

some corps (yes single corps) ave put more then 10bil nic into gamma. with multible corps on one island this is a investment that you have to get back. and thats not done in a few weeks.

8 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-08-22 16:17:52)

Shadowmine wrote:

You risk losing infinitely more on Gamma

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

you only have the illusion of savety on gamma

I'm not trying to deny either of these things. Believe me I know.

What I'm trying to say is that we need to stop thinking about gamma as a more risky/rewarding version of Beta and Beta a more risky/rewarding version of Alpha and give each type some exclusively different activities/risks and exclusively different rewards. At the moment those differences aren't nearly marked enough.

beta has t5 npcs spawns that are good to farm. alpha has only t4 spawn. of cource its highly more risky to fatm them on a pvp island. i dont know if anybody does. i havent been on betas a lot latlely. if then for a bit of pvp or mostly just on my way through on the way to or from gamma.

that spawns are way better. thats a plus for bets. gamma spawns (roamings) are not worth your time. oberserver is the only thing worth hunting on gamma. even industrials are now better farmed at beta.

sap loot was already mentioned and is a huge factor now. but with hopefully rining population in the future this will be a very tiny fraction. sap loot will be not realy worth mentioning if a few thousand players are in the game.

artifacts are better on gamma (way better) but i realy havent artifacted a lot in the last year. spand my first 2 months in the game with that as primary occupation. still on beta then. but i still profit from the mk2 cts i had found back then.

bezzer missions for beta would be a good thing in the new mission system. but then laso is needed for the beta2 islands and not just for the beta1 as its right now.

gamma on the other hand could use some pve content as well. something similar to the eve scanning stuff, or something else if someone has better ideas.

Maybe just put high tech kernels only on beta then there is a reason to go there as they are in higher demand for research.

Also just leave high tech kernels in observers or elite roaming spawns

May be a simple fix until better things can happen

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

What I'm trying to say is that we need to stop thinking about gamma as a more risky/rewarding version of Beta and Beta a more risky/rewarding version of Alpha and give each type some exclusively different activities/risks and exclusively different rewards. At the moment those differences aren't nearly marked enough.

I agree, give us a reason to fight for them, and we will fight for them.

Homer J Simpson wrote:
Celebro wrote:

- wild Noralgis +1

Heres the question tho. Is beta to risky or can Gamma be made to safe ? smile

I think this is the problem with wild norg.  If they leave incubators in the game i'm still gonna plant 100 on our gamma and just harvest it there.  If they remove the incubator, then that's a whole different situation.

13 (edited by Gunner 2013-08-23 22:04:08)

would be fun to get Nor off of easy mode and back in the dangerzone fun mode

14 (edited by Gremrod 2013-08-23 22:49:18)

Martha Stuart wrote:
Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

I agree, give us a reason to fight for them, and we will fight for them.

I agree.

The only reason to fight for a beta island right now, it's connection between alpha and gamma. For some that is not enough.

Thinking of things........ wink

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

15 (edited by Celebro 2013-08-23 23:41:52)

Beta is fine as it is, players reach a stage where living in beta is not enough that's fine, but it is a stepping stone for newer players to live there before they move to gamma. This is good game design.

Sometimes you guys forget this is not only a game for vets.

The only thing wrong about beta now is the big blob just around the corner, where they arrive without any warning or detection.

RIP PERPETUUM

Detection probes/beacons just wrecked the few small gang roams or solo roams that used to happen, same with walls.... that is all

17 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-08-24 01:05:02)

Celebro wrote:

Beta is fine as it is, players reach a stage where living in beta is not enough that's fine, but it is a stepping stone for newer players to live there before they move to gamma. This is good game design.

Sometimes you guys forget this is not only a game for vets.

The only thing wrong about beta now is the big blob just around the corner, where they arrive without any warning or detection.

I disagree, before gamma, the reason for Betas was Epri. There is no reason to fight for them now, because you can just lock down a gamma and then mine everything there.

Edit:  instead of having Rank 5 NPC's drop cortexes like Burial suggested, why not change the roaming spawns to MK2 npcs, which then have a moderate chance of dropping cortexes.  This would make the pointless roaming spawns worth finding and hunting down, plus it would also make them much more challenging.  and to counter this remove or lower the cortex drops from SAP loot.

Edit #2 not sure why i got double post sad