Topic: Memory Leak or Inefficient Cache Handling - Inside Terminals

Hello,

The game eventually takes up an exhorbitant amount of memory (for a game of this complexity).

I'm leaning away from the cause being a memory leak, but not ruling it out.

Memory
When I first start Perpetuum, a single instance uses about 350MB memory, when loaded from the field. Upon entering a Terminal directly from this field, the usage shoots up to ~850MB.

When returning to the field, the memory usage stays at about ~850MB.

As I travel to more fields & Terminals, the memory usage slowly increases.

The highest I've seen it, after a couple hours play, is 1.3GB. While this isn't crippling, memory and collection of unused objects could be optimized.

CPU
As with Memory, CPU Usage seems to increase as different areas are accessed. The main culprit for CPU attention is the Terminal Screen. When logging in for the first time to a Terminal, the UI is smooth, mouse is smooth, everything is responsive.

Visit some fields, maybe another Terminal, and CPU Usage while in Terminals is nearly doubled as compared to in the Field.

Which of these is the cause for the slowdown in Terminals on some PCs, I have no idea. I'll try and provide some screenshots of my Performance Monitor.

Lokked

2 (edited by Arga 2010-12-16 20:58:31)

Re: Memory Leak or Inefficient Cache Handling - Inside Terminals

My ram useage maxes out at 1.3GB too with a single client running, I have 8GB so like you its not really an issue, but it does seem to be an odd coincidence.

I was doing transport runs last night and was in/out terminals about 30 times over 5 hours, I didn't notice any CPU increase and Ram didn't exceed 1.3GB.

Edit: But I wasn't looking for CPU Spikes while in terminals specifically, so it could have.

Vsync on or off?

i know that this game is very CPU heavy (procedural textures). The Terminal background is one of those.
Because it doesn't need much GPU power to render that background there, (or the one of the Login-Screen), your framerate will go up into several hundreds.
That on the other side WILL heat up your GPU, and probably also affect CPU usage.
Vsync on will reduce that

On the other hand - FreeAV from Avira had a huge memory leak problem over the last cuple of weeks, which i though it was perpetuum. One of the recent updates fixed it and my system is much more stable since then. If you're using that one, make sure you have it up to date.

Upon posting my initial, I went and turned VSYNC On, on all my clients.

Immediately, response was fluid and everything was fine. As I played things degraded, but not to the point of where I was before with VSYNC Off.

Each time things start getting bad in the Terminals, I can turn VSYNC Off and then On again, on each client, and it improves the situation for another 30-40mins.

DEVs, I hope this example and explanation can help point you in the right direction to optimizing this, when you begin that process!

Lokked

I also start at around 350MB, after docking a few times it shoots up to 1.4GB.

If I run dual accounts it's kinda laggy but it still works, the moment one of them docks up, the game drags to a halt.

I can run 4 EVE clients with almost zero lag and all four running in Window mode, each takes up about 500MB, from start to finish.

Memory leak in Perpetuum? For sure, pls fix.