1 (edited by Celebro 2013-07-25 19:11:15)

Topic: Terraforming

I know something did change from 3d to 2d, but why can't I target a beacon right next to me just a few meters away whilst someone is like 300m and can. My targeting range is more than enough, and it doesn't even stop the terraforming.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Terraforming

i think its the same issue as we encounterd. it seams that the beacon is actually there where it was droped. we had beconas on the ground and needed a detector to see it right at your feet... yea the terraforming height was more then 20 meter.

Yes, it seems, if you terraform up and the beacon moves up with the terrain , beacon's position remains where it was first placed.

RIP PERPETUUM

Indeed, the z coordinate of the beacon was not updated when it moved and this caused issues with distance calculation. We'll deploy a fix for this tomorrow, nice catch. It should also fix other issues where the z coordinate was not updated properly, if there are any more.

5 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-07-26 00:06:43)

DEV Zoom wrote:

... nice catch.

Really? This has been like this since forever.

[EDIT] Oh, btw, the fix is most welcome but, does this now mean that if I place a beacon and terraform to over 350m above me I will be out of range?

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

[EDIT] Oh, btw, the fix is most welcome but, does this now mean that if I place a beacon and terraform to over 350m above me I will be out of range?

I'm trying to hide my satisfied grin, but that's probable, yes.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ludlow Bursar wrote:

I'm trying to hide my satisfied grin, but that's probable, yes.

For those of us who move many tens of cubic kilometres of dirt this is a not insignificant change. It will really alter the process of mega terraforming.

8 (edited by Burial 2013-07-27 21:22:13)

This may be time to increase the range of TF Beacon modules past 350 m hmm

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

We will reevaluate the ranges in light of this fix, but TBH this comes in very handy in our battle against mile high walls... If you want to terraform high, you will have to do it using steps. (And this may not be even true, if you put the beacon beside the planned wall, but correct me on this if I'm wrong.)

you can still put a beacon at the base of a planned wall and TF the wall to the sky in a fashion that does not move the beacon .... but then it is less efficent than placing the beacon in the center of the TFed area.

So its not a huge problem you can still do the same but at a higher cost ...

a good balance may be to increase the area of effect of the beacon itself and leave the 350 meter restriction in place.

but a Ludlow stated this comes into play mainly with mega TF projects

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

This might be a jackass statement, but when does the

"battle against lag" start?

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

13 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-07-31 00:47:04)

I'm more interested in the "battle against hipsters", but that might be a war we cannot win sad

or maybe a "Battle against the DMV"  again, i don't think we would win, but its worth a shot.

The fact that beacon moves up and was out of range was in game already some time ago (you might have found some beacons on Bergers that were not accessible from ground), and I think this is at it should be.