Topic: The future of gaming would be cool if perp would support this

http://www.oculusvr.com/ <-cool

Re: The future of gaming would be cool if perp would support this

I'd say take a step back and let someone else figure out how to use the Rift in a 3rd person setting.

I cant wait to have that on my head for 6 hours at a time, with headphones too!

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Doek wrote:

I'd say take a step back and let someone else figure out how to use the Rift in a 3rd person setting.

+1. Dafuq is the OP even thinking.

5 (edited by Celebro 2013-07-08 21:39:55)

It won't catch on, its just a new fancy gadget.

What has caught up with us is mobile gaming specially in the iPad . I rather game on my PC, but this form of gaming is dying slowly.

RIP PERPETUUM

oculus VR pr0n

Needs to have a counter-weight behind the head. big_smile

Celebro wrote:

What has caught up with us is mobile gaming specially in the iPad . I rather game on my PC, but this form of gaming is dying slowly.

This is what's been said for the last thirteen years or so, but given the success of game developers through crowdfunding, the success of PC-based distribution platforms (Steam, GoG, Desura, etc.) and the frankly poor offering on mobile platforms, that's just not true. It'd be impressive if an iPhone game manages to draw me in for half an hour, while Factorio has me sitting behind my screen till first light.

The Rift is doing things right too. It's being widely adopted by a lot of developers (including Valve) and the technology is ready enough (no delays or lag, immerisve, cheap and comfortable).

From Factorio's website:

You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting alien enemies. Use your imagination to design your factory, combine simple elements into ingenious structures, apply management skills to keep it working and finally show your close combat skills in encounters with planet inhabitants who don't really like you.

Sounds rather familiar.

Doek wrote:
Celebro wrote:

This is what's been said for the last thirteen years or so, but given the success of game developers through crowdfunding, the success of PC-based distribution platforms (Steam, GoG, Desura, etc.) and the frankly poor offering on mobile platforms, that's just not true. It'd be impressive if an iPhone game manages to draw me in for half an hour, while Factorio has me sitting behind my screen till first light.

The Rift is doing things right too. It's being widely adopted by a lot of developers (including Valve) and the technology is ready enough (no delays or lag, , cheap and comfortable).

I'm talking more in the business sense.

The Rift looks cool, I would love to give it a go but it's not a device I would  use for 6 hrs straight playing an mmo. It's the same with 3D movies it's all fancy and cool to have, but not many want to watch 3D movies with glasses on, and they have been out for decades.

Factorio looks interesting I'll give it a try. I also prefer PC games too, only thing is that in general, consoles and mobile devices have most of the gaming market. So if you want to develop a game it makes sense to use those platforms to get a wider audience.

RIP PERPETUUM

11 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-07-09 20:24:15)

I think you are grossly underestimating the effect the Rift will have.  Augmented reality is going to be a drastic shift in how people play games.  Not to mention the fact that the Rift, and its technology, is applicable in many other areas outside of gaming.  Everything from robotics, to remote surgeries could be improved by this type of technology.  It is already used in military applications.  The other thing about Rift is that it is basically a prototype, or proof of concept.  The real impact that this technology will have, wont be decided now.  Check back in 5 years when this tech has had a chance to saturate the market.  There are still major flaws with this technology. 
There is also no other major competition.  When other companies start to compete in this area you will start to see major advances.  Given a decent amount of time the kinks will be worked out and it will be improved upon

on your second point.  PC's have the majority of the market, not the minority. according to

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/n … highlights
http://www.techspot.com/news/52070-pc-g … owing.html

nVidia and many others would like to disagree with you smile

"By 2015, DFC predicts PC game revenue will top $20 billion, roughly twice as much as PlayStation and four times as much as Xbox. Pretty staggering, isn't it?"

In the realm of MMO's the PC reins supreme, by a WIDE margin.  You are correct that the PC market is going mobile, but mobile != tablets.  It means laptops, especially, high-end laptops.  I would rather play a game on my laptop sitting on my conch or recliner chair, than sit in front of my desktop, especially if i'm gonna be there for longer than an hour or two.  The major problem that i see with tablets and other mobile devices is that no one has developed a control scheme that trumps the speed and accuracy of a mouse and keyboard.  Imagine trying to play any of the Staples of PC gaming with a touch interface?  Do you want to play Counterstrike, battlefield, COD, etc etc on a tablet?  I don't.  What about RTS?, RPGs? racing games?  The fatal flaw with all of the mobile platforms (for me anyway)  is that what I play, as of yet, is not practical on anything but a PC.

That seems like good news then, there is still potential for a come back. Although is kinda sad that Sims 2 released 9 years ago on the PC still sits at the top of the charts with 20 million unit sold, to add insult to injury it has been ported into the tablet.

Call of duty titles originally born on the PC has been ported to consoles and now PC gamer's get bad ports of COD titles... WTF?

Something to watch out too!
http://www.techspot.com/news/52061-tabl … -year.html

RIP PERPETUUM

Can use it with this thingy too http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194 … orite-game

Celebro wrote:

That seems like good news then, there is still potential for a come back. Although is kinda sad that Sims 2 released 9 years ago on the PC still sits at the top of the charts with 20 million unit sold, to add insult to injury it has been ported into the tablet.

Call of duty titles originally born on the PC has been ported to consoles and now PC gamer's get bad ports of COD titles... WTF?

Something to watch out too!
http://www.techspot.com/news/52061-tabl … -year.html

The Sims wasn't ported to tablets, it's just poor clone (re-imagining even).

On the PC, you get COD as is. Let me point out here that the graphical engine originated from id Tech 3, that's Quake III Arena. Compare that to Frostbite, a modern engine found in games from 2008 and onwards.

And tablets are not a market in the same league as PC/notebook. Tablets are a good market for companion apps, board games, casual games, etc. Martha's post might be heavily biased (I this, I that), but the stats back him up for the most part:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/category/GAME
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ap … nd-dragons

I have no faith in rift.. others have tried and failed horrible.... I had a friend who paid hundreds for a similar product... he used it for 1 weekend and never used it again.