Topic: Turn off beta internal teleports in favour of On Board Teleport

I think OBT could really make a difference to this game if its mechanic was focused on two perennial bug-bears of Perp players. Travel and getting decent PvP. OBT would get rid of pinch points at teleports and the game mechanics and tactics (camps, arkhe scouts, probes on teles, terraforming, walls etc) that players use to completely avoid any PvP if they are not in the ascendant.

I think a mechanic along these lines could achieve this in a balanced way:

Turn off all current fixed internal teleports on Beta.

OBT can be used anywhere outside 500m from a terminal/outpost/fixed active teleport and can teleport you to any point within the OBT's range, including interzone, that is not within 1000m of a terminal or SAP. Should your chosen landing point be within 1000m of an unknown terminal the OBT should dump you on terrain 1000m from it.

Mobile teleports work exactly as the do now.

OBTs should require charging. Charging will disable everything on your bot including movement. How long the charge takes should be proportional to the distance you wish to jump and should be subject to a minimum time. Interzoning should require a full charge even if the distance is less than maximum. You can't run around with a charged OBT - you either discharge or jump.

OBT cannot be used while flagged or locked.

After jumping there will be a period (longer than minimum OBT charge period) during which you cannot deploy a field device and can only target someone who has targeted you.

I think charging should be done in discreet steps rather than a continuous/progressive increase in range. Can't decide whether there should be a universal OBT built into every bot or if different bots should have different charge cycle times or ranges. The latter would certainly add some interesting tactical choices but could be tricky to balance. I also think that the landing point shouldn't be 100% accurate. It would be nice too if when someone teleports using OBT a visual effect can be seen from way beyond detection range on both landing and take off. Make those scouts really earn their chips.

TL/DR - A well balanced on board teleport for bots would help get round PvP bottlenecks, add another tactical layer and make travel less painful, not necessarily take less time, just less painful to endure.

Re: Turn off beta internal teleports in favour of On Board Teleport

I know this is will be a real nightmare to balance properly, but if it can be done right the casuals are really going to enjoy this game, all this endless walking around need to be minimized, it gets tiring, specially for casual players.

+1 remove painfull stuff

RIP PERPETUUM

3 (edited by Ronon 2013-06-25 20:46:49)

I was thinking of something similar to this and was about to post it when I saw your thread. I don't mean to or wish to thread jack this but just to throw an alternative idea out there: point to point mobile teleporters. They should be limited to single-zones. Same mechanics as other mobile teleporters except you would have a "receiving teleporter", and in many respects has the same goal, to open possibilities and give the option of minimizing the endless walking around.

In terms of the OBT, that could be an opportunity for a new bot class. Not sure how I feel about turning off the Beta island internal teleports though.

Eitherway, +1 to making travelling more dynamic and less of a painful chore.

I like the idea. +1

Make the plasma be a fuel for that accordingly to robot color

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Primary thing I hate about EVE PvP is ability to warp away from a fight. There's definitely some fun in the tactical warp in/out maneuvering but it really makes the PvP process too fast and slippery.

One of my favorite things about Perpetuum is the slow motion inevitability of many battles. You move on and off the battle field relatively slowly typically forcing an engagement. Of course there are ways to run.

I've advocated a type of mobile teleport that a player can warp to (Target TP or how about TTP). It would involve two players (accounts) however, one to first set in place then 1+ to warp to it. This way perhaps a stealthy player can get behind lines while team waited for set up. I also included a couple other 'wants' with that to make it all possible but no point getting into it.

My main point is that I love idea of being able to teleport essentially anywhere. However there would definitely need to be major drawbacks and restrictions. If this game became like EVE where people could just warp in/out (OBT) willy nilly it would be worse for PVP, not better.

OP idea on the right track but abrehensive about such free reign to OBT away at first sign of trouble.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:

OP idea on the right track but abrehensive about such free reign to OBT away at first sign of trouble.

Hence the restrictions mentioned - I saw OBT as working a bit like current safe logging as far as running away is concerned. You've got to stand still and not get locked to charge it up.

8 (edited by Burial 2013-07-02 17:54:50)

When some offensive module hits you, like a demob, it should break the charging but with just a lock I don't see it nessecary. The devs should really think about this idea.

I think the charge up should not be longer than 2 minutes when jumping on the same islands and not more than 1minute when jumping anywhere near 5km range. Interzone should probably take around 5min.

Something along the lines of base 30 sec + 10sec per kilometer on same island jump and base 3min + 10sec per kilometer on interzone jump. I think there should also be limitations on bot types that can use interzone jumps.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Rex Amelius wrote:

Hence the restrictions mentioned - I saw OBT as working a bit like current safe logging as far as running away is concerned. You've got to stand still and not get locked to charge it up.

Suppose it could work if charging was active, not passive, and definitely looong. Add negative signal masking to alert the world around you and may have something there.

Sparking to other games

oh, make it to auto-teleport back to the homebase everytime you log out (or the closest dockable, friendly/neutral base that is in range)

that way you cannot ever set up a login trap anymore. oh, and ofc. everything in your cargo except ammo will be dumped in a field can,
you got your all-so-important logout timer in pvp zones and so on.

but do not forget to implement warp scrambler and such to totally disable "fleeing from possible robot loss"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear