Topic: MMO design: The 10 commandments

I would like to share this excellent article The 10 comandments.

Maybe the Devs can get some insight of what has gone wrong in the past and to improve what can be done in the future. Bear in mind few MMOs follow all these rules I think. Some rules makes common sense, but as forgetful as we all are, we need to be kept reminded. big_smile

Celebro's body guard

Re: MMO design: The 10 commandments

Despite the 'but, but, but, this applies to the sandbox too' every other paragraph, there aren't a lot of insights here to explain what has been going on with Perpetuum.

3 (edited by Simmy 2013-04-29 17:02:48)

I really don't see any 'buts' in this article. This is all about selling a product to players and keeping them, it certainly applies to sandbox MMOs too, specially Perpetuum.

These are the most relevant:

1. Knowing you audience

Do the Devs really know their audience? What can they do to get to know us better? Playerbase taste changes too, knowing your players is a constant communication not just when game is in beta. Not really a bad job done here, but it should improve.

2. Play the game

Yes, everyone Dev/staff needs to play the game, on many occasions Devs don't really know what's going on until it's too late.

3. Organize the Flow of People and Ideas

Yes, the constant traveling Perp has: 'Constant travel is just another grind, and grinding is tedious, and tedium is the opposite of what games are supposed to be about.'

4. Create incentive to explore.

Where is incentive to explore in Perp. There no special place everything is uniform all islands are the same size and all stations have roughly the same stuff. Factions has little meaning.

9. For Every Ounce of Treatment Provide a Ton of Fun

Can the Devs (I mean Dev Zoom tongue) answer these: What makes your MMO the one that gamers should want to play? Why should I spend my money on this game and not others?

10. keep it up

Game needs a faster client and a good server in a different location, I've heard countless problems with connection issues since the game went live. We have lost loads of players because of this.

Celebro's body guard

You can give 100500 advices on how to make Perpetuum better but that will not increase the number of DEVs and that's it. They simply don't have enough manpower to develop things faster.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

5 (edited by Celebro 2013-04-30 18:43:03)

Line wrote:

You can give 100500 advices on how to make Perpetuum better but that will not increase the number of DEVs and that's it. They simply don't have enough manpower to develop things faster.

In the hope when they would get more Devs ofc. Read blog where they mention working on extra funding and such  . Good insights here to learn from past errors.  Dunno what to post anymore just trying to kick start more open thoughtful discussions. hmm

RIP PERPETUUM