Topic: What do you think of this image?

I was looking through Steam's greenlit games earlier and I came across this image:

Steam Greenlight (200x200px)

It doesn't jump out of the page at you. In fact it took me a while to find it amongst the mere 28 other 200x200px images.

And, what does it say about the game? It tells me nothing. I'm not even sure I'd recognise that Zenith as a robot if I hadn't played the game for a million minutes, let alone know what type of game it is. And then there's the name, Perpetuum; that doesn't give me much of a clue either. I just don't want to click on it.

Add a couple of words like "robot wars" and have an outside action scene of something blowing something else up or something less, well .... boring. I'm rubbish at arty stuff but I might have a go at doing a 200x200 promo image. How hard can it be?

Re: What do you think of this image?

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

I was looking through Steam's greenlit games earlier and I came across this image:

Steam Greenlight (200x200px)

It doesn't jump out of the page at you. In fact it took me a while to find it amongst the mere 28 other 200x200px images.

And, what does it say about the game? It tells me nothing. I'm not even sure I'd recognise that Zenith as a robot if I hadn't played the game for a million minutes, let alone know what type of game it is. And then there's the name, Perpetuum; that doesn't give me much of a clue either. I just don't want to click on it.

Add a couple of words like "robot wars" and have an outside action scene of something blowing something else up or something less, well .... boring. I'm rubbish at arty stuff but I might have a go at doing a 200x200 promo image. How hard can it be?

U know that picture was used in the main page in greenlit describing the game right ? the use of it was proper now if you searching for pictures and u come across that one and expect a billboard in it well i dont see that happening honestly

Everything below Perpetuum logo is wasted space, apart from that it looks good. Hard to fit something that describes the game well on a small area.

Jasmoba wrote:

U know that picture was used in the main page in greenlit describing the game right ? the use of it was proper now if you searching for pictures

No, I wasn't searching for pictures I was looking at greenlight for Perpetuum. I found it difficult to pick out with that image.

Burial wrote:

Hard to fit something that describes the game well on a small area.

Other greenlit games and greenlight proposed games manage it (some don't of course). I don't think it looks bad, its just terrible marketing - it says nothing about the game whatsoever - you simply can't guess what the game is about.

5 (edited by Syndic 2013-04-10 23:22:27)

You're overthinking it.

AC isn't paying you to play, market or develop their game for them. You pay them (in $$$ or ICE, irrelevant) to play their game because you're having fun. That's it, the whole and only relevant story.

Anything beyond that is what happens in every indie game, lazy or understaffed devs taking advantage of erstwhile fanboys to get free workers/volunteers that will do their job for them and be grateful for the opportunity.

Don't get caught in that particular trap of perceiving the success or failure of the game as your own. It's their job to deliver what you expect for your 10-20-30-XX$ a month, if your expectations aren't met, take your money where they are.

On topic, no I probably wouldn't click on that image because its bland, the game name is bland and it doesn't say visually or verbally anything besides "hey this game is launched and I think it has something to do with transformers".

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

You're overthinking it.
"hey this game is launched and I think it has something to do with transformers".

Pretty much this.  Robots are for kids, real 'men' call their robots 'mechs or Real Observation Battle Observation Transmogrify Suits so their kids won't play the same game as them.  Perp needs rebranding(as part of a total reboot).

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-