Re: Placing a gamma terminal near another

well this is not a simple question.

in generally i think it a pretty stuoid idea to siege a base with another base.
thats why a lot ppl build 12 terminals on islands and even "fortified" their incomming teleports so no hostile base building is possible for the time beeing.

in general i am fine with bulding terminals close to each other, BUT we need much more improvments on the gamma and structure front.

first as i have already pointed out at the dev/player conference quite a while ago, there have to be some significant benefits for defenders, and i am not talking about these walled off islands that i think whould not be there in the first place.
as i have said there some form of preventing offensive terraforming is nessessary or "base fortesses" will mostly never happen and it will stay on "teleport fortresses". simple its more easy to fortify a island then fortify a base with the curret mechanics. also something that will prevent building close to bases would be good. we saw the offensive buildings with bases and turrets a few times already and i think that this is not the way a siege should work in this game.

yes to no restrictions on terminal placement, but only with soe major improvements on the gamma structures/terraforming within a resonable amount of time (well less then half a year...)

27 (edited by Crusader 2013-03-22 16:35:06)

Zortarg I disagree, Jitas base design is simplistic enough to be cost effective and be defended, my base however is mass turret spam hmm

A 2k ring of death coupled with actually powering it is a cluster *** waiting to happen.

Gamma is ridiculously designed. Only solution for anyone contemplating an attack is "bring more people", which in perp-terms translates to "bring more accounts".

CCP did it 10 times better.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Gamma is ridiculously designed. Only solution for anyone contemplating an attack is "bring more people", which in perp-terms translates to "bring more accounts".

Then go play EvE and shut up. Others will simply wait for siege weapons.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Syndic wrote:

Infact sov warfare in stEVE is stagnant, there a need for a change there . Too much grind, with a sea of blues, so it has its own issues. At least here ore prices are balanced . There they have the problem of not enough rewards in 0.0. The players also want to 'copy' Perp and make industry more lucrative in 0.0 than high sec. smile

RIP PERPETUUM

*edit: Inappropriate. - DEV Zoom

Celebro wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Infact sov warfare in stEVE is stagnant, there a need for a change there . Too much grind, with a sea of blues, so it has its own issues. At least here ore prices are balanced . There they have the problem of not enough rewards in 0.0. The players also want to 'copy' Perp and make industry more lucrative in 0.0 than high sec. smile

Certainly, I'm not saying the EVE system is perfect and couldn't use tweaking, but it's better then what we got here. We have no sov-warfare here since it's mathematically impossible to breach teleport correctly spammed with turrets.

Sov-warfare in EVE is made relatively easier with cynos, caps and supcaps. Anyone remember what it was like to do nullsec warfare and whittling down POS's and stations with subcaps? Yeah, thats where we're at. Except the POS is a gargantuan line of turrets right next to the jumpgate.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I like Gamma +1 for gamma.

33 (edited by Celebro 2013-03-22 23:28:34)

Syndic wrote:

*edit: Inappropriate. - DEV Zoom

Celebro wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Certainly, I'm not saying the EVE system is perfect and couldn't use tweaking, but it's better then what we got here. We have no sov-warfare here since it's mathematically impossible to breach teleport correctly spammed with turrets.

Sov-warfare in EVE is made relatively easier with cynos, caps and supcaps. Anyone remember what it was like to do nullsec warfare and whittling down POS's and stations with subcaps? Yeah, thats where we're at. Except the POS is a gargantuan line of turrets right next to the jumpgate.

Since gamma expansion, I was surprised there was never a hard cap on turret spacing.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Since gamma expansion, I was surprised there was never a hard cap on turret spacing.

Since gamma expansion, i was surprised there was never an increase of turret power consumption

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Since gamma expansion, i was surprised there was never an increase of turret power consumption

Wouldn't help here. It's has somewhat similar effect like increasing the area you can't place structures had.

Syndic wrote:

A good designed Gamma base can be defended for a long time by a significant smaller bunch of defenders than attackers are coming. If you manage to stop attack for several hours that might still mean end of your base if attacker brings that more people to hold siege until last defender is sleeping in front of his computer, but for most cases a defense for more than 4h means you already won.

In the end good base requires you to start base design being solid from first terraforming, before placing any buildings.
To be honest there are few thinks to consider that will be fixed when base is build, but a clever attacker can always adopt to Base design with the equipment he brings for siege, while defender needs to adopt to attacker fleet whether his base design suits for it or not.

Burial wrote:

Wouldn't help here. It's has somewhat similar effect like increasing the area you can't place structures had.

slightly different - there is a limit to how much power is transfered per second, and a limit connections to the turrets.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear