Topic: Placing a gamma terminal near another

So, lately there have been one or two events where one corporation has placed a gamma terminal very close to another corporation's one. Some of you thought, and even I remembered vaguely that there would be a rule which would prevent this.

However, now that we checked the code, there is no such mechanic. There is actually an error message for it, but it's unused. Which means that we planned it at one point, but we either abandoned the idea or simply forgot about it.

Either way, my question here is: is such a rule needed?

If you want my personal opinion, we already have too many of these made-up rules in a supposedly open sandbox, and if you can't defend your base from a newly placed terminal next to it (or preventing it from being built even), maybe you're not supposed to be there after all. It's harsh, but gamma is like that.

But if the majority of you think an artificial restriction like that would make the game more fun, by all means we'll put it in.

Re: Placing a gamma terminal near another

Not needed. Unneeded restrictions suck.

In the very basis, MPC is a tree-oriented system with a terminal in a very center OR/AND a only hangar for miners. you know what i mean big_smile I wont go in discussions about hangar-terminal because i know that you will come with new building what will play a role of temporary armored hangar.

Lets return to the role of settlement center.

Each terminal can be extended to a city with factories, reactors, turrets, what's very cool. You can build your own cities on the island, maximum 12 separated networks, 3 per corp.

Why would i build a terminal next to another? Just to block another corporation to build city on my island. Even if you will make such restrictions what you proposed, clever corp will create 4 alt corps and build "seal" terminal network to prevent enemy to build here. Range restrictions wont matter.

I propose to introduce "territorial claiming" mechanics what will allow corp\alliance build a terminal on the ground. Want build a city on uria belil? Claim it.

I dont know how you want to iplement it but for me for sure current system is a bit ***. Current system will work for giant continents where it will be a problem to find an enemy base. For islands it is not fun. It will be good to clone EVE system with territoral claiming. What you proposing is a little crunch for 200 players. It will work for now ony.

Why would it be needed? If I don't want your terminal near mine, I will undock the mother of all blobs and kick your *** back to the womb.

There are a lot more Gamma things you should be thinking about changing and rebalancing, to say the least.

Tho it's refreshing you asked this time instead of patching in 72 hours. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Such rule is not needed. If you can't defend or destroy other structures on your island you are doing something wrong. Anyways leave as is, it creates drama, I love drama smile

RIP PERPETUUM

6 (edited by Xadhoom 2013-03-21 18:28:21)

DEV Zoom wrote:

So, lately there have been one or two events where one corporation has placed a gamma terminal very close to another corporation's one. Some of you thought, and even I remembered vaguely that there would be a rule which would prevent this.

However, now that we checked the code, there is no such mechanic. There is actually an error message for it, but it's unused. Which means that we planned it at one point, but we either abandoned the idea or simply forgot about it.

If you want my personal opinion, we already have too many of these made-up rules in a supposedly open sandbox, and if you can't defend your base from a newly placed terminal next to it (or preventing it from being built even), maybe you're not supposed to be there after all. It's harsh, but gamma is like that.

But if the majority of you think an artificial restriction like that would make the game more fun, by all means we'll put it in.

the problem with that thought process is if you haven't already built it then it will never get built, because it only take the team with the most fielded player will kill it with Easy.

This kind of thought process will kill your Greenlite attempt.

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

Gamma is easy mode as it is. Few billion NIC of investment, 200% safe island ad infinitum.

CIR Complaint Form

8 (edited by Burial 2013-03-21 19:22:32)

Few billion? No wonder your island sucks. lol

9 (edited by Crusader 2013-03-21 19:36:43)

Put this thread in the motd in general chat and encourage people to view it or only the same 10 forum users will comment.

I don't think it's needed.

Now on that same point I think there needs to be a rework on reinforcement timers.  This will balance some of the issue.  Reinforcement timers should be EARNed and terminals should not be immune for 72 hours.  You drop a terminal it should be immune for 24 hours and it should take upto 3 days to earn your first reinforcement timer.  That away the attacker gets a chance to sleep but you have to actively defend your base upto 2 days or so.  Hell even if it starts with just one reinforcement timer that would simply things some.  Honestly an attacker shouldn't  be give 3 days of bliss.

Burial wrote:

1 corp versus an entire alliance.

Xadhoom wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

the problem with that thought process is if you haven't already built it then it will never get built, because it only take the team with the most fielded player will kill it with Easy.

This kind of thought process will kill your Greenlite attempt.

I don't think this is accurate.  A lot of gamma has to do with diplomacy.  For the sake of epeen if your mouth writes checks your corps *** cash can't cash then your probably going to get wtfpwned.  Honestly why do you think I smack talk your corp so much?  To get emotions stirred to get a fight.  Nothing personal, it's just a way to create pvp in game.

Burial wrote:

Intelligent people get more for a few billion then you derps get for 10. lol

CIR Complaint Form

13 (edited by Burial 2013-03-21 19:54:53)

You should contract these intelligent people for Berger's then. roll

Syndic wrote:
Burial wrote:

So far Novaya Trava CIR base has dropped the most loot when it was completely destroyed. Who cares whether you were playing or not. It's just a fact.  Now, your CIR base is built on an island only after some else did 2/3rds of the defensive terraforming, and all the cost.  Good job taking credit for something someone else did. 

And Ville, you've never been "one" corp against an entire alliance lol.
I do gotta say, bro, I'm finally taking your comments for the comedy they're intended.

Please inform me who else did the terraforming and structure building on bergers?  I can point to 7 individuals and they all have PHM tags on.  Or are you trying to troll?

Crusader wrote:

Please inform me who else did the terraforming and structure building on bergers?  I can point to 7 individuals and they all have PHM tags on.  Or are you trying to troll?

jita?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

17 (edited by Cassius 2013-03-21 20:35:47)

Crusader wrote:

No troll. I'm giving you full credit for Bergers in the paragraph above. My "one" v entire alliance refers to your PvP, I dont remember the last time we fought a PHM only fleet. If ever. You roll fleets with allies, we do too. Lately, you have more allies in engagements than we do, so you (r side) is winning more. The comedy is in you claiming to be one corp only.

Edit: Your defensive terraforming was 2/3rds completed when CIR set up. Didn't mean PHM only did 2/3rds of all the terraforming, if this is what you were asking.

Annihilator wrote:
Crusader wrote:

jita?

heh lol, ok, alright if we are going with it lol

Cassius wrote:
Crusader wrote:

No troll. I'm giving you full credit for Bergers in the paragraph above. My "one" v entire alliance refers to your PvP, I dont remember the last time we fought a PHM only fleet. If ever. You roll fleets with allies, we do too. Lately, you have more allies in engagements than we do, so you (r side) is winning more. The comedy is in you claiming to be one corp only.

Edit: Your defensive terraforming was 2/3rds completed when CIR set up. Didn't mean PHM only did 2/3rds of all the terraforming, if this is what you were asking.

? do you not understand what the concepts of an alliance is?  Or are you and Nebs not friendly with each other outside of perpetuum and you only tolerate one another to exist in this game?  I'm slightly confused, since my members along with myself and CIR members both play other games together in either the same corp or allied corps together in multiple other games.  Hell it's like we are E Friends, that met on E Harmony. smile  See how I tied that all in together.

When I say 1 Corperation I am refering to the terraforming and defensive structures only.  My Alliance is who you will face in PVP, why because thats how we roll  cool

The problem with dropping a terminal up someones *** is it has a few days of invulnerability.

So, the standard for an island is to drop 12 stations quick to stop it.

You already have one dumb rule there, so there should be some 'influence' radius limitation to stop *** from dropping station right there.

Artificial rule #1          12 Stations per island max
Artificial rule #2          3 days invulnerable station timer

Zoom - the above would have to be addressed to make your concerns more valid

Top Killers ---

21 (edited by Burial 2013-03-21 21:07:22)

Turrents and your own numbers should be the deciders where someone can potentially build a terminal. wink

About the max station restriction per island, I don't like that either. Like I said previously, I don't like any unnessecary restriction and hard-cap on game mechanics.

The only change I would make would be to remove the invulnerability while a base is building. If anything that should be the time its MOST vulnerable. You should be able to deconstruct and / or destroy a base before its been onlined. Right now you only need to pop it and its untouchable for three days.

Cassius wrote:
Syndic wrote:
Burial wrote:

So far Novaya Trava CIR base has dropped the most loot when it was completely destroyed. Who cares whether you were playing or not. It's just a fact.  Now, your CIR base is built on an island only after some else did 2/3rds of the defensive terraforming, and all the cost.  Good job taking credit for something someone else did. 

And Ville, you've never been "one" corp against an entire alliance lol.
I do gotta say, bro, I'm finally taking your comments for the comedy they're intended.

I got T3 gamma bases for free, on terraformed and turreted islands that I didn't pay for. And I'm getting paid to FC fleets that kill you every time you crawl out of your holes.

Do I need to get the crayons out so you comprehend the comedy point? lol

CIR Complaint Form

24 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2013-03-22 05:37:37)

A rule for a min distance between 2 terminals was talked about back on the test server but i remember a few valid arguments why having such a rule would be bad ill try to remember them.

1. Keep the sand box open for interesting tactics
2. If you wanted to upgrade your terminal (say from T1 to T2 / T3) you would have to drop a 2nd temp terminal to move your corps items to & a min distance rule would make doing that unnecessarily time consuming.
3. If a Defender should be the one to police what gets built on their island. If they fail at that then .. their loss.

I would have a few questions to the DEVs tho while were on the subject MPC Terminals.

First:
Why do we have a MAX limit for how many terminals a corp can build? at the moment its 3. why cant a corp just build as many terminals as they want on an island until you hit the 12 terminal limit for an island?
This seems like a pointless rule since all you need to do is make a alt corp.
Personally ide like to see this rule removed.

Second:
Actually no ill post this as a separate thread its more of an Idea.

@ Zoom thankyou for asking the player base for comments on this smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi: to your 2nd point, the rule would only work for terminals of another corp, not yours.

As for the max 3 question, if I remember correctly it was implemented to make total domination of an island by one corp harder. You are right with the alt corps, it doesn't prevent it from happening, but at least it poses some logistic difficulties.