Topic: Fix NPC path blocking

By abusing game mechanics such as terraforming, players can gain unfair advantages against the poor Nian residents.

Solution
If NPCs for some reason can't calculate a passable path to the attacking player(s), make them de-spawn immediately.

Let's stop this gamma exploit-fest together! \o/

Re: Fix NPC path blocking

Actually we had something like that before, when they committed suicide if they thought they got stuck (no loot). Not sure what happened to it, but I'll ask.

Doesn't WOW make mobs immune to damage if there is no path?

On the other side of this topic, unless its been greatly enhanced, the pathing isn't great. There are very often situations in the terrain where there is a path between NPC's and players, its just a long way around and NPC's don't go 500m around a mountain to get you.

Unless you're planning on making beacon NPC's different from open world spawns, I'm not sure that simply no-immediate-path-to-target is going work.

Then again, if there is a 10x10 killing pit with no exits, that seems like an easy 'stuck' scenerio.

tl;dr- Take some time to consider the parameters of 'stuck'.

well as i see this topic was started once again by our favorite troll and not with a lot of thought to it.

sometimes things tend to look easy but are not in the end. if you "fix" that "problem" ppl will find other ways to get exactly what we have at,. it might look a bit more complicated, but i am sure i can create another pit, that has to be open but still will give basicly the same advantage. these pits in these designs are there because they represent one of ste most easy ways to do so. i already have multible ideas how this might work and in the end it will be to no real difference.

the change to 3 beacons at a time will already solve most of these problems.
besides that... if i had to start with things that are wrong with npc ai then it would be a long list to fix...

we could go on on this matter but i have said this on other terms before. we need other changes more pressing. changeing beacons to 3 at 500m is easy. changing other stuff might take way more time and in my opinion the big anounced changes are more important.

- early game content
- pve
- steam release
- research change
- new tier bots and equip
- the big gamma fix (this might take a while)

and back to the op: sometimes its better to keep quiet especially when you do not know what you talk about, never have done it and have no experience in the whole matter.
this is not done so easy and i await your next post like this once the first pits are out that are not enclosed but work basicly the same way...

DEV Zoom wrote:

Actually we had something like that before, when they committed suicide if they thought they got stuck (no loot). Not sure what happened to it, but I'll ask.

got removed when "pathfinding" was implemented, due to some player complaining bout npcs exploding without loot after they got shot down like 90% of their health, using terrain "advantage":

Thats a matter of new player experience, since the low EP player cannot face any NPC straight on, they HAVE to use terrain or range in a way that makes the npc AI "getting stuck", while they do not die very fast from noob-weapons, the time limit is reached and they make boom.

Zortag Calltar wrote:

my opinion the big anounced changes are more important.

- early game content
- pve

PVE = fight vs. AI = improvement of player vs AI is a big part of what needs to be done.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

well as i see this topic was started once again by our favorite troll and not with a lot of thought to it.

sometimes things tend to look easy but are not in the end. if you "fix" that "problem" ppl will find other ways to get exactly what we have at,. it might look a bit more complicated, but i am sure i can create another pit, that has to be open but still will give basicly the same advantage. these pits in these designs are there because they represent one of ste most easy ways to do so. i already have multible ideas how this might work and in the end it will be to no real difference.

besides that... if i had to start with things that are wrong with npc ai then it would be a long list to fix...

we could go on on this matter but i have said this on other terms before. we need other changes more pressing. changeing beacons to 3 at 500m is easy. changing other stuff might take way more time and in my opinion the big anounced changes are more important.

- early game content
- pve
- steam release
- research change

and back to the op: sometimes its better to keep quiet especially when you do not know what you talk about, never have done it and have no experience in the whole matter.
this is not done so easy and i await your next post like this once the first pits are out that are not enclosed but work basicly the same way...

Another essay about not nerfing your farming, gg.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

- early game content
- pve
- steam release
- research change

u mad sis?

Making Zortarg post walls of text for me since 2010. Good lackey.

Jasdemi i will rent you a spot on bergers, and you can use my beacon farming pit.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

9 (edited by Hunter 2013-03-13 16:22:59)

i agree with Jasdemi. This is important step against perpetuum popularity. Thanks for writing.

*popcorn*

BTW: recently our two members tried to search for PvP on islands (in server prime-time). I with another one went in MWO.
We had about 10 good and interesting battles. Our members in perpetuum found nothing. wink

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Hunter wrote:

i agree with Jasdemi. This is important step against perpetuum popularity. Thanks for writing.

*popcorn*

BTW: recently our two members tried to search for PvP on islands (in server prime-time). I with another one went in MWO.
We had about 10 good and interesting battles. Our members in perpetuum found nothing. wink

thats disturbing - since i read that MWO sucks and fights with not-fulfilled DEV promises, aimbots and disappointed playerbase.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Hunter wrote:

*popcorn*

Your members should have came to BErger's Island.  I heard DOY found out what turrets were today.

12 (edited by Hunter 2013-03-14 02:09:36)

Annihilator wrote:

thats disturbing - since i read that MWO sucks and fights with not-fulfilled DEV promises, aimbots and disappointed playerbase.

Anyway it's better than endless mining ops. wink MUUUUUCH better.

Ville wrote:

Your members should have came to BErger's Island.  I heard DOY found out what turrets were today.

i doub if they will try one more time smile

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Very usual turrets, nothing special. Your defenders tho should learn how to defend instead of how to runaway.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Jas, didn't you post the same comments in the other thread?

Its getting nerfed. Whats with the need to start a new thread on the same thing? Also, again, why complain about what others do on Gamma because you choose not to, rather than can't.

Quite honestly, as stated I'd be happy with beacons limited to one on Gamma and unlimited on Beta ... But thats me.

Cassius wrote:

Jas, didn't you post the same comments in the other thread?

Its getting nerfed. Whats with the need to start a new thread on the same thing? Also, again, why complain about what others do on Gamma because you choose not to, rather than can't.

Quite honestly, as stated I'd be happy with beacons limited to one on Gamma and unlimited on Beta ... But thats me.

he may started the topic with beacon farming in mind, but his statement is kinda true for more situations then just beacons:

beta walls + beta roaming spawns, and obviously, gamma bases and gamma npc roams, which could be way more with working pathfinding

Line wrote:

Very usual turrets, nothing special. Your defenders tho should learn how to defend instead of how to runaway.

Turrets never run a way?

Ville wrote:
Line wrote:

Turrets never run a way?

They don't chase either. Noone was even hit. But we are out of topic here.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Yeah, need to come back later in the US timezone, there is typically observers spawning in there that will chase you.  As for the residents we are busy stock piling mass amounts of minerals to reset the market in two weeks for great lols.